The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would replace Tyler Myers if he is traded/bought out?

Rate this topic

Hectic

We need someone who actually uses their size to their advantage and makes quick, smart decisions.

When I watch Myers it's like I can literally watch him think the play, and then make a dumb decision. Pucks die on his stick. He's not outright turning it over, but he's constantly giving up possession by putting the puck off the glass in the zone when there are passing options open.

There will be options in FA and through trades. Myers is a 5/6 guy and can be easily replaced by a contract half as rich.

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Someone will pay handsomely for the rights to string fans along again. 

Honestly first Halloween movie I watch was the second last one since the ... Maybe second one.. maybe even first. Heard the hype. Grab some beers watch.. meh pretty much a typical pfft, my dog farts spook/surprise me more than those movies. I want a good ol fashion slasher where there's the pot head the eye candy yada yada lol. 8008135 lmao. Gr 6 calculator tricks. 

• Haha 1

Myers with retention is a good idea.   It's not just about losing him, it's about a plan.    Horvat likely gets traded for a young D with promise that is still on an ELC.   Or needs a short bridge soon.    That means even at 50% retained the club can absorb.     And well at 50% retained we also get something back.  

Agree with the OP.    We won't find a D UFA who's going to do better then Myers at 4.    Unlikely anyways.   What is YTD is this going to be a two year tank job, or just this season.     Personally think management will try and make it a one year tank.   Demko not coming back is a boon.   Once he does and IF he plays like last season, then game on again unless some major surgery includes QHs or EP.     Which I doubt it does.   

Won't be a quick fix.  

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

On 1/25/2023 at 9:39 PM, Hectic said:

I have heard a very common narrative that Tyler Myers is one of the main issues with our team, and that he's been an anchor on D in a bad way. 

I personally feel that Tyler Myers is a top 4 D man - big, right handed, mobile, and can be offensive at times (he has flashes where I always think... why doesn't he do that more often?!). Sure he makes erratic plays from time-to-time, and who could forget the bubble playoffs where he would take 2-3 penalties per game (hence the name Tyler Minors.. loved that lol). 

But my question is this: if Myers is traded or bought out, who all of a sudden comes in and replaces him? Sure, $6 million in cap space opens up. Gudbranson got $4m on the open market, clearly RHD aren't cheap. So CDC, what would you do? Or keep the following: 

Hughes - Schenn 

OEL - Bear 

Dermott - Borroughs 

Personally I feel an OEL buyout would make more sense - easier to find LHD than RHD. And maybe next year Rathbone can stick with the team and Dermott moves up to the 2nd pairing. 

The Canucks can handle it pretty good without him. Especially since we won't reach playoff this season. 

Let the prospects play if we have to.

Myers is gold for teams in playoff where he won't always get a penalty when he gets physical. The Flames would suit him too good. 

The only problem is wich team has cap space to take on 6 mill and if they have to send a player back it can only be cap for this season. 

On 1/26/2023 at 9:00 PM, Maginator said:

We need someone who actually uses their size to their advantage and makes quick, smart decisions.

When I watch Myers it's like I can literally watch him think the play, and then make a dumb decision. Pucks die on his stick. He's not outright turning it over, but he's constantly giving up possession by putting the puck off the glass in the zone when there are passing options open.

There will be options in FA and through trades. Myers is a 5/6 guy and can be easily replaced by a contract half as rich.

Your giving him too much credit.  He DOES outright turn the puck over.  One of the  most maddening things about his play. I've watched him countless times, after battling for the puck, and the times when he does retrieve it, and only has a second to think, he will either pass it between two teammates to no mans land, or he will actually pass directly to an opposing player. 

He just cannot think fast enough.  Its all a game of chance with him. He just blindly moves the puck away from where he is, and its a 50% chance if its heading for an opposition stick or a teammates stick. A lot of times the opposition is surprised to have the puck back, and another Canuck can take it back before he understands that one of our D just passed it to him. But most times it means another chance or two for the opposition in our zone.

I really think that getting rid of Myers, as long as we can find a replacement that can also play hard minutes, will improve our D structure immensely. 

• Cheers 1

On 1/25/2023 at 12:39 PM, Hectic said:

I have heard a very common narrative that Tyler Myers is one of the main issues with our team, and that he's been an anchor on D in a bad way. 

I personally feel that Tyler Myers is a top 4 D man - big, right handed, mobile, and can be offensive at times (he has flashes where I always think... why doesn't he do that more often?!). Sure he makes erratic plays from time-to-time, and who could forget the bubble playoffs where he would take 2-3 penalties per game (hence the name Tyler Minors.. loved that lol). 

But my question is this: if Myers is traded or bought out, who all of a sudden comes in and replaces him? Sure, $6 million in cap space opens up. Gudbranson got $4m on the open market, clearly RHD aren't cheap. So CDC, what would you do? Or keep the following: 

Hughes - Schenn 

OEL - Bear 

Dermott - Borroughs 

Personally I feel an OEL buyout would make more sense - easier to find LHD than RHD. And maybe next year Rathbone can stick with the team and Dermott moves up to the 2nd pairing. 

Buyouts are the owners last resort.   Oel is still a good dman.  Hes not old, nor slow and just like with any other player can still be effective with the right team and structure

• Cheers 1