The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Management owns all of this

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

11 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Exactly, people forget we have not had a seasoned GM since Burke. Since then we have had FOUR rookie GM’s in Nonis, Gillis,Benning and now Allvin. It’s almost like the guy who hires the GM doesn’t want them to be the smartest person in the room or to be a yes man. Don’t believe me? The track record of the past 20 years and four management regimes proves this. FO has been very green for sometime. Aside from Rutherford who is now POHO. But that’s literally it.

I think we should bring Burke back to Vancouver as GM. I wonder if he'd be interested 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree, but there's still some cooking to be done in the kitchen.  We'll see what JR does to rid the team of the floaters in the next few weeks and see if he can fix our defence properly.   Unravelling Jim Bennings mess will take some time.

You have to at least admit that JB did a decent job of staggering his contracts so when one was gone, money would be available for other players.   And that aside from OEL, we had just Brock as an anchor and that's also on the player.    

Now?   Well re-worked the bottom six - that's a plus.   It's not super expensive.   Flip side is none of the  can kill a penalty to save their life aside from Ilya M - but he's a middle six player.    Lazar was fine though as was Joshua.   Even Dries has had his moments.    

Miller versus Horvat.   That didn't age well at all.    However it's not over yet.   We lost the chance to sign both by signing Ilya M.    Kuzmenko actually was their best work - just too bad we didn't have that on the right side D instead.  

So far it's ugly.    Best we can hope for is they fix this during the summer and the TDL, Demko comes back playing at .918sp and the trades/retention works out well.   Preferably right away.   This team needs playoff reps.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I think we should bring Burke back to Vancouver as GM. I wonder if he'd be interested 

I don’t think Burke would work under this owner.  He’s very close to Dave Nonis, so would be completely aware of the meddling in hockey ops. 

• Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

You have to at least admit that JB did a decent job of staggering his contracts so when one was gone, money would be available for other players.   And that aside from OEL, we had just Brock as an anchor and that's also on the player.    

Now?   Well re-worked the bottom six - that's a plus.   It's not super expensive.   Flip side is none of the  can kill a penalty to save their life aside from Ilya M - but he's a middle six player.    Lazar was fine though as was Joshua.   Even Dries has had his moments.    

Miller versus Horvat.   That didn't age well at all.    However it's not over yet.   We lost the chance to sign both by signing Ilya M.    Kuzmenko actually was their best work - just too bad we didn't have that on the right side D instead.  

So far it's ugly.    Best we can hope for is they fix this during the summer and the TDL, Demko comes back playing at .918sp and the trades/retention works out well.   Preferably right away.   This team needs playoff reps.  

That was the problem with JB.  Sure, one contract would eventually go but it would be replaced by another horrible contract (see LE turning into OEL).  Great at drafting.  Horrible at filling out the roster.

47 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That was the problem with JB.  Sure, one contract would eventually go but it would be replaced by another horrible contract (see LE turning into OEL).  Great at drafting.  Horrible at filling out the roster.

Benning did that because ownership wouldn't allow rebuild years. Benning probably could have done a 3-4 year rebuild, with 2 of those years being tanks. ie taking on bad contracts for picks, not signing UFA's ect

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

JB didn't sign Brock these nincompoops did. 

• There it is 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think Burke would work under this owner.  He’s very close to Dave Nonis, so would be completely aware of the meddling in hockey ops. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/canucks-owner-says-he-did-nothing-wrong-in-buying-franchise-despite-court-case-1

not too likely Brian Burke would be a choice

besides there is only room for one B.B. in this town

imagine how great the convos would be around here with BB as Prez, BB as coach and BB as player

• There it is 1

51 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Isn't he POHO for the penguins

He is. But Burke likes attention and nothing would put him in the spotlight more than coming back here. He'd have to write another book 

The team would have to be sold before he comes here though 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Actually he was very decent at staggering his contracts.   He wasn't patient enough to let them run out.   That was definitely a huge massive mistake.   And he wasn't great at drafting, just better than average, almost good once you factor in the draft slots lost.   Drafted like he picked 3rd overall for a four year span.   That's all in the roster now.   And bad at asset management.    At least JR-Allvin have tradeable assets, JB didn't have much on that front, eventual Burrows, Hansen and Bieksa waived, but far from what could have been if they weren't all claused up.    JB gets a bye mostly from me anyways.   Except what he did at the end.   Other than that he mostly made lemonade out of a very bitter situation.    JR and Allvin have done exactly what so far?   Signed Vrbata?    Ok well maybe not ...  they've done very little.   Thank the hockey gods Demko was injured. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/canucks-owner-says-he-did-nothing-wrong-in-buying-franchise-despite-court-case-1

not too likely Brian Burke would be a choice

besides there is only room for one B.B. in this town

imagine how great the convos would be around here with BB as Prez, BB as coach and BB as player

Don't show this to Alf.   If he see's it ... well maybe it's time we fund a plane over Vancouver to fire the owners. 

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf look what Burkie said.   He won't work for those owners!   Yikes.    As for Burke and Nonis mad respect for both those guys.   They set the foundation for your favourite GM who's still out of work. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

na if they couldn't find another GM to touch him they could have just walked away. 

cf2d204b79d06024f1d9f26cf230e223.jpg

Brocks story isn't over yet.   Maybe he can get us a second or third  and we can go ew ahh over a Lind or Jonah Gadjovich or Shinkurak or maybe we get the next Stan Smyl.    Or hockey Gaud stuff.   Or a Hogs!   Can't wait.  

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Brocks story isn't over yet.   Maybe he can get us a second or third  and we can go ew ahh over a Lind or Jonah Gadjovich or Shinkurak or maybe we get the next Stan Smyl.    Or hockey Gaud stuff.   Or a Hogs!   Can't wait.  

I mean I hope so but for a guy w 3 ev G even at 50% retention we would have to give up the picks to move him