The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Remaking Canucks Powerplay

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

So, our powerplay has fallen off substantially over the last 6 or 8 weeks. Personally, I think it's become REALLY predictable as we are always doing the same thing. I know Tocchet will start and push for changes, thought I'd start a thread to talk about restructuring it and making it harder to defend against

Powerplay unit #1 2 D on the ice, 3 forwards

LD: OEL

RD: Hughes

This is only powerplay alignment, not regular lineup

Horvat at center with Kuzmenko and Pettersson on the wings. Swap Miller in for Kuzmenko based on opponents size. Miller is a big body and needs to play a heavier game on the Powerplay.

Treat Hughes as a 4th forward and activate him to roam the offensive zone freely and drive the play through skating and passing. He's an elite skater and has extraordinary vision of the ice and will open up passing lanes and draw opponents out of the box and off coverage. OEL has a better overall shot from the point and is also an effective puck distributor. Horvat is the heavy slot presence, which he already does extremely well and Pettersson is no longer the only player that the other team has to worry about for goal mouth passes.

Powerplay Unit #2 1 D on the ice, 4 forwards

Myers plays D

Dries plays center (even though he's smaller, he's got good hands. Swap in Joshua for heavier opposition for size and strength.

Garland, Miller (or Kuzmenko - whoever wasn't used on PP1) Mikheyev and Boeser.

Have Boeser play heavy presence, and have Garland play further back and as with Hughes, let him roam and skate the puck, attempting to draw opposition out of the box. Myers has pretty solid offensive instincts even if his best years are behind him. Boeser and Mikheyev are puck retrieval.

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i loved the russians during the 72  summit series. they were  constant motion. hard to defend against.

See, that's what I'm talking about, Hughes is by far, our best skater and an elite playmaker. He turns opposition inside out with his ability to maneuver. Yes, he currently does roam occasionally, but has to return to the point because he's the only D out there. Let's free him from the point when we're on the powerplay and let him JUST roam and be creative. Pettersson is also a good skater and really good at protecting the puck, but he doesn't have the maneuverability that Hughes has. Let's try just letting him roam the ice, in and out of the slot and create passing lanes. Personally, I think that would be a LOT harder to defend against and would create a whole other dimension for opposition goalies to worry about.

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I posted about this in a much earlier thread, but I recall being at a game many years ago, and the PP was always a thing of beauty because there was always movement of players who didn't have the puck on the PP and unpredictability for the PK to defend against.  Precision passes x constant motion x unexpected triggermen = higher PP conversion.

None of this "stand still and wait for the puck to get to me" bullshit.

When I'm watching them on the powerplay, I'm watching the goalie and he's hardly having to move. You want his head on a swivel, having to track where everyone is. The Sedins were in constant motion and you had to track both of them because they could hit each other with blind passes. Hughes has the ability to hit with blind passes, I feel like in offensive situations, he's being limited by having to always be aware of the point and his defensive obligations.

For the 1st unit powerplay, let's free him for 60 - 90 seconds to be the true offensive threat that he's capable of being. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Miller already has anger issues and you want to take him off the 1st PP :shock:

Yup, he needs to step back and become coachable again. He's running all over the place and needs to simplify his game.

He really needs to know that he's not in charge, needs to follow and execute the strategy being laid out by the coaching staff. Based on what I saw last night, I would almost consider putting him in the press box for a game. He is trying to do everyone else's job on the ice and as a result is constantly neglecting his own and getting caught out of position.

If we're committed to him for another 7 years, fix this now so he can be an effective player for us or move him at the deadline before his NMC kicks in.

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Miller already has anger issues and you want to take him off the 1st PP :shock:

IMO, Boudreau and management perpetuated this with all the talk about how he was our best player. I think it went to his head and now he's trying to do everything instead of just trusting team mates. He's getting out of position and the rest of the team is falling out of position trying to cover someone that he should be covering.

Bench him until he learns to just do his job and not everyone else's.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yup, he needs to step back and become coachable again. He's running all over the place and needs to simplify his game.

He really needs to know that he's not in charge, needs to follow and execute the strategy being laid out by the coaching staff. Based on what I saw last night, I would almost consider putting him in the press box for a game. He is trying to do everyone else's job on the ice and as a result is constantly neglecting his own and getting caught out of position.

If we're committed to him for another 7 years, fix this now so he can be an effective player for us or move him at the deadline before his NMC kicks in.

Everything you say is true, but like you said were committed to him for 7 more years.  Could be a hell of a long 7 years if he decides to shut it down and pout.  

Not saying we should let him act like a diva, but this year is lost.  Let him get his points, maybe someone will call, desperately needing to add some offense.  If he's still here next year, then you can set new expectations/work ethic during the off-season and go from there.

I'm all for 2 defencemen like 5-10 years ago. Teams have gone for the 1-3-1 setup and it's so predictable especially because our point man never shoots. We need to mix it up and have some point shots and a better screen. 

Bo can tip with the best of them and OEL's shot is so under-rated and under-utilised, not just at scoring but getting through screens for tips. Have Petey on one wing, Miller on the other and work higher up rather than low down. The bumper pass to Bo isn't there at all anymore, teams just collapse down on us easily.

Plus having Hughes and OEL on the points can sometimes slowly rotate and have Hughes suddenly controlling the puck on the half boards, Miller at the offensive line/by the net and try the bumper pass play from there.

Teams have gone all-in with forwards to try and pass it around better down low but we have such a great shooter in OEL and great passer and skater in Hughes, we should use them more and surprise teams. Can still feed Petey for a one timer near the dot too.

37 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Everything you say is true, but like you said were committed to him for 7 more years.  Could be a hell of a long 7 years if he decides to shut it down and pout.  

Not saying we should let him act like a diva, but this year is lost.  Let him get his points, maybe someone will call, desperately needing to add some offense.  If he's still here next year, then you can set new expectations/work ethic during the off-season and go from there.

I don't think Miller is the type who would really pout, I think he would take it as a challenge to rise to. He needs to be called out, on stuff, how many of the short handed goals we've given up are due to him making really questionable plays?

I believe that he's extremely capable, but there needs to be a major correction in how we handle him, and I think it starts with a reality check for him. He's a proud guy, I think he would respond to it if coaching staff handle it correctly.

• Cheers 1

I think a lot can get changed just by switching out the PP QB (Miller in this case, NOT Hughes).  Miller's "go up the wall then behind the back drop pass to Hughes" must've been scouted to death already, and it should follow the Edler drop-pass' footsteps and into the archives of the PP playbook.  Instead, for one unit I'd put Kuzmenko at net front (he's got hands, plus the speed to be tough to contain down low, to make passes for Garland/ Horvat/ Petey to one-time.  Garland <=> Horvat <=> Petey offers so many quick passing and shooting options, just like how the Kraken were quickly able to move the puck from side to side due to quick forehand touch passes (they've also got the umbrella up top, with two shooters on their forehands so there's always a shot option available).  We've also seen how Garland driving up the left wing is hard to contain, so we should maximize that potential.  

Kuzmenko
Garland - Horvat - Pettersson
              Hughes

The other unit I would do the following:
                  Dries
 Boeser - Mikheyev - Miller
                  OEL

Dries hustles and is good at tips, Miller would be the PP QB but on the other wing to be on his forehand, OEL has two shot options in Boeser/ Miller, while all of Brock/ Mikheyev/ Miller can really shoot the puck.  Just keep it simple (Mikheyev's got speed and Miller is physical so they can both help with puck retrieval, and then they can just focus on getting lots of shots on goal).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

I think a lot can get changed just by switching out the PP QB (Miller in this case, NOT Hughes).  Miller's "go up the wall then behind the back drop pass to Hughes" must've been scouted to death already, and it should follow the Edler drop-pass' footsteps and into the archives of the PP playbook.  Instead, for one unit I'd put Kuzmenko at net front (he's got hands, plus the speed to be tough to contain down low, to make passes for Garland/ Horvat/ Petey to one-time.  Garland <=> Horvat <=> Petey offers so many quick passing and shooting options, just like how the Kraken were quickly able to move the puck from side to side due to quick forehand touch passes (they've also got the umbrella up top, with two shooters on their forehands so there's always a shot option available).  We've also seen how Garland driving up the left wing is hard to contain, so we should maximize that potential.  

Kuzmenko
Garland - Horvat - Pettersson
              Hughes

The other unit I would do the following:
                  Dries
 Boeser - Mikheyev - Miller
                  OEL

Dries hustles and is good at tips, Miller would be the PP QB but on the other wing to be on his forehand, OEL has two shot options in Boeser/ Miller, while all of Brock/ Mikheyev/ Miller can really shoot the puck.  Just keep it simple (Mikheyev's got speed and Miller is physical so they can both help with puck retrieval, and then they can just focus on getting lots of shots on goal).

Your alignment is definitely better than where we are right now.

• Thanks 1

With the current alignment I notice Petey on the right side and Miller on the left are shooters but both are too far back

they need to find a way to move them up and get them moving more to parts of the ice where they can get better shooting angles. Maybe just getting them moving more at all would be an improvement because the predictability of the current pp is that the primary guys moving are the power play QB (Hughes) trying to create a passing lane and the obvious receiver of said pass while everyone else watches.