The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Management On Trades, TDL and Team Revision Fast "Build" if They (Will) Retain

Rate this topic

ToTellTheTruth

This could be a game changer, no puns intended.

Suddenly Boeser, Garland and even OEL could now be very valuable well beyond what they are paid

The cap saving could help with other "Hockey Trades" and the retention would last no longer than 4 years at the worst.

Boston could still look at OEL at 3.65 million as a PP guy. OEL would fit better there not having to be the top dog.

Minnesota is now a prime trade partner for Boeser at 3.25 mil especially if a player in their doghouse like Greenway or, not my favourite but Dumba come back.

Garland to NYR for Miller looks very possible now, maybe Boston but they are pretty well set up.

Schenn to Edmonton, they would jump all over this if it means keeping him away from Calgary next year. A top pick this year or a #1 in 2025

Horvat could be the lynch pin trade that resets the entire defence and adds to the forwards. I have blinders on but Columbus just seems so logical. A team bursting with young prospects that the Canucks need, Jiricek, a RHD, Sillinger or Johnson a local boy as a center, either one. Columbus has a stout defence corps already scoring is their issue

A team that is in a win now window and obviously going for it.

There would be only one more retention that could make a huge difference, Miller.

Again I have blinders on, but Washington, NYI and Winnipeg all have cap space and old enough strong leadership to handle Miller and great need. Coming back would/could be in the form of picks two years away and prospects. Retain 50% this year unless used on other trades first then 1 to 1.5 mil for the remainder of the contract. IMO NYI might part with Romanov or Dobson.

Edited by ToTellTheTruth
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I doubt NYR trades Miller, I also doubt Columbus would trade Jiricek as he projects as a future #1. 

I think Miller to NYI makes a lot of sense though, I've proposed him for Bailey+. 

Being willing to retain opens plenty of doors, certainly. 

• Like 1

You're being extremely over generous on what you think it means that we would retain on trades. It means that we would retain on guys like Horvat who has an expiring contract, making it easier for him to be fit in under a teams cap.

There is ZERO way that we retain 50% of Boeser, they would just sit on him till summer when teams have more flexibility in their current cap.

OEL would have to agree to waive his NMC, and if he's willing to, I think we would probably consider retaining about 1.5 - 2 million. More than that and your effectiveness in retaining diminishes greatly. Although I agree that OEL is not worth what we are paying him right now, you wouldn't find someone who can do what he IS capable of at 3.65 million, so why do the trade, you're moving into negative return by doing it, you'd actually wind up with less space by default.

Garland was signed for about 1.5 million more than he should have been, I think if you retained roughly what you would save by parking him in Abbotsford, 1.25 million, you probably have takers.

Myers would be a guy during summer, once his 5 million signing bonus is paid, I could see the Canucks trading him with 1 million retained to a team like Arizona who has no interest in being above the cap floor right now and want to get TO the cap floor as cheaply as possible. Being able to take up 5 or 6 million of cap floor space while only spending 1 million would be extremely attractive to them.

Trading Boeser isn't really a problem of overall value, if he was making 2.5 million, there's still only 5 or 6 teams who could take him without first figuring out who they are removing from their lineup to make space, and that player might not be someone we want back. That means finding another trading partner in the 5 or 6 teams who have ANY cap space at all and making a deal to move a contract.

There's a reason why any trades happening in the last few months (like Colorado and San Jose yesterday), are for players making less than 1 million per year, it's because teams are literally counting every dollar of cap space that they are moving and in some cases, $1.00 could break a deal.

• Cheers 1

There are only 3 retention slots possible.  Can't imagine management would want to retain on some of those long term contracts.  

Russo has repeated to no end that the Wild have no interest in Boeser - they apparently see him as a 1-trick pony.  The cap doesn't even work.  Swapping Boeser for Greenway leaves them in the same cap conundrum.  They have no choice but to move Greenway as they need that cap space - they can't be giving it right back or it doesn't solve their issue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I doubt NYR trades Miller, I also doubt Columbus would trade Jiricek as he projects as a future #1. 

I think Miller to NYI makes a lot of sense though, I've proposed him for Bailey+. 

I didn't cover those issues with my post, but ALL of that is also a problem with what was proposed as well as someone else pointing out that I haven't seen anything specifically about management saying that they would retain. I believe that it's a given, but only on deals that are expiring or players like Myers and possibly somewhat on OEL.

I could see us moving Miller with 50% retained on his current contract only. This would allow a team to have him for playoffs and then still move him at the draft, before his NMC kicks in.

• Upvote 1

Boeser, Myers, and Pearson are the guys on short enough deals to retain and not hurt the longer term plan.

Retain $1.5M on Boeser, and all of a sudden, he's worth a lot more in a trade.

Myers $1M to $2M for 1 season wouldn't hurt us one bit, but would make him much more valuable.

Pearson at 50% would be worth a lot more as well.

The long term contracts like OEL and Garland are not gonna happen.  It eats into the competitive time frame (2 years after this one).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Not Miller, Schneider?

Jirieck, they already have 8 NHL defencemen under 26 yrs old, 4 dmen 22 to 24. 

One thing they can't wait on is a veteran center that is winning FO's, scoring 30 goals a year and stays healthy. The ages also work too, JG is 29, Horvat 29.

Ya, I thought of Bailey too but I think he is too important in the room. Lamer isn't shy about trading for hungry vets and their defence is deep too. There was some friction in the Dobson negotiations and I think the Romanov trade before the Miller stuff got out was to either have him replace Dobson or as the trade chip for the Canucks because that signing was really out of left field. That and Lamer likes to have cap certainty so a GM that might have wanted to talk to Miller's agent first or they already did. That trade was thought to be all but done when it disappeared.

37 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

This could be a game changer, no puns intended.

Suddenly Boeser, Garland and even OEL could now be very valuable well beyond what they are paid

The cap saving could help with other "Hockey Trades" and the retention would last no longer than 4 years at the worst.

Boston could still look at OEL at 3.65 million as a PP guy. OEL would fit better there not having to be the top dog.

Minnesota is now a prime trade partner for Boeser at 3.25 mil especially if a player in their doghouse like Greenway or, not my favourite but Dumba come back.

Garland to NYR for Miller looks very possible now, maybe Boston but they are pretty well set up.

Schenn to Edmonton, they would jump all over this if it means keeping him away from Calgary next year. A top pick this year or a #1 in 2025

Horvat could be the lynch pin trade that resets the entire defence and adds to the forwards. I have blinders on but Columbus just seems so logical. A team bursting with young prospects that the Canucks need, Jiricek, a RHD, Sillinger or Johnson a local boy as a center, either one. Columbus has a stout defence corps already scoring is their issue

A team that is in a win now window and obviously going for it.

There would be only one more retention that could make a huge difference, Miller.

Again I have blinders on, but Washington, NYI and Winnipeg all have cap space and old enough strong leadership to handle Miller and great need. Coming back would/could be in the form of picks two years away and prospects. Retain 50% this year unless used on other trades first then 1 to 1.5 mil for the remainder of the contract. IMO NYI might part with Romanov or Dobson.

They're not trading Miller. He's having one bad season. That's it. One bad season.

He's been our best forward since he got here before this season.

You don't give up on him.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2
  • elephant 1

41 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

K’Andre Miller?  
That doesn’t look possible in any situation. He has been amazing this year. 
Dream come true but would never happen.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

They're not trading Miller. He's having one bad season. That's it. One bad season.

He's been our best forward since he got here before this season.

You don't give up on him.

It's not only that but management would basically be admitting they don't have a clue what they're doing to sign a guy for 7 years then trade him months later.

6 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Can we retain on OEL? I was under the impression that since Arizona is already retaining we can't retain anything.

Not that I actually want to retain anything for that long.  

An individual contract can have a maximum of two teams retaining salary on it. 

So we could retain salary on OEL.

It’s obviously not ideal, but still far preferable to a buyout:

BC387610-C552-446E-9D86-CB722F715B9C.thumb.jpeg.51624e8cc4ae82101030a9e77666d13d.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1