The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Sportsnet loves to hate us

Rate this topic

Slegr

9 minutes ago, tas said:

going to a game and booing or throwing jerseys or texting or whatever isn't supporting the team. it's supporting aquilini. support the TEAM. 

and the players job is to play hockey, not to win. they get paid the same either way. 

"This is what's great about sports. This is what the greatest thing about sports is: 

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME."

Pin on GIF PARTY

5 hours ago, chon derry said:

Eastern bias ,it also exists within our fed gov. (Western alienation.) it also exists within our provincial governments standardized services or lack of it the further north you go. It also exists with American peoples ignorance of Canada. Living in northern BC and having lived in Vancouver twice, I see it in how our local television stations represent or report on current provincial topics.Very lower main land centric. Unless it’s a big story. And even then half the time the story comes out misrepresented. population within the province ,outside of the lower mainland is comparable, but many regions continue to feel left out. that said 80% of Canada’s population is in the eastern provinces and actually below the 49th parallel.  the country is vast so it only makes sense that media jumps on the negative first. With an inability to really know the day to day reality’s. 

western alienation give me a break... if we had 60% of the population living in our province we would get the same treatment... its called democracy and the majority rules

7 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

western alienation give me a break... if we had 60% of the population living in our province we would get the same treatment... its called democracy and the majority rules

You don’t think it exists? Maybe you’ve never spoke with northerners or albertans. 

• Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, chon derry said:

You don’t think it exists? Maybe you’ve never spoke with northerners or albertans. 

yes and its because of democracy.... federal government will always be biased towards provinces because of population density.... but do not make it out to be this malicious thing where PT is out to get us...

you cannot appease everyone when your in federal government... might as well please the majority... no?

Just now, Bad_BOI_pete said:

yes and its because of democracy.... federal government will always be biased towards provinces because of population density.... but do not make it out to be this malicious thing where PT is out to get us...

you cannot appease everyone when your in federal government... might as well please the majority... no?

Research albertas equalization payments,  the northern gateway endbridge proposal , the endbridge Kalamazoo incident , the romeoville Illinois endbridge incident. The current Kitamat LNG facility. Prince Ruperts 2 current brand new propane. Liquification facility’s   The 2 in Rupert already up and running very successfully I might add. The Kitamat lng in the near future. I don’t think you realize the scale or the benefit.  Or how the actual heavy oil in Alberta that still isn’t getting to tide water. And how all these MEGA projects impact/contribute to Canada. Or the very long ongoing discussion of western alianation or Western separation at the extreme end of the issue. But I’ll not debate with you about it  because it’s clear your not quite up to speed on any of it. Cheers. 

• Vintage 1

@Bad_BOI_pete if you go back to my first post in this thread it relates to media in the east  but also in BC.  And how there’s a general lack of understanding of remote areas in BC. Or further how media in Ontario lacks knowledge of the Canucks or at least anything other than the negatives. And your lack of knowledge about anything in my prior post actually supports my view of the very topic itself. Because it’s that what we’re talking about ?  Misinformation or lack of knowledge about said issues.  The whole point being if (media) or any other source doesn’t properly understand said issue. Maybe they shouldn’t enter the discussion ? 

28 minutes ago, chon derry said:

@Bad_BOI_pete if you go back to my first post in this thread it relates to media in the east  but also in BC.  And how there’s a general lack of understanding of remote areas in BC. Or further how media in Ontario lacks knowledge of the Canucks or at least anything other than the negatives. And your lack of knowledge about anything in my prior post actually supports my view of the very topic itself. Because it’s that what we’re talking about ?  Misinformation or lack of knowledge about said issues.  The whole point being if (media) or any other source doesn’t properly understand said issue. Maybe they shouldn’t enter the discussion ? 

I disagree... i am agreeing with you.... you just don't understand how its not malicious... infact if you took office and tried to correct said "atrocities" you would quickly be thrown out of power because democracy rules... easterners don't care that if we funded these western projects Canada would be better off twenty years down the road... they would rather have short immediate gains that benefit them now... and it makes total sense too, because they can hedge those short gains into more bigger gains down the road. These gains would be much more beneficial than the small incremental gains they "might" receive twenty years down the road.

and as i said if we controlled the population it would be the opposite, there is no malicious actions here.. its the fact that if the feds promote and fund eastern projects they will be very popular, and if they dont they are out of a job.

im sorry your upset you were born with a slight disadvantage... but no amount of complaining will change the effect of how democracy works

1 minute ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

I disagree... i am agreeing with you.... you just don't understand how its not malicious... infact if you took office and tried to correct said "atrocities" you would quickly be thrown out of power because democracy rules... easterners don't care that if we funded these western projects Canada would be better off twenty years down the road... they would rather have short immediate gains that benefit them now... and it makes total sense too, because they can hedge those short gains into more bigger gains down the road. These gains would be much more beneficial than the small incremental gains they "might" receive twenty years down the road.

and as i said if we controlled the population it would be the opposite, there is no malicious actions here.. its the fact that if the feds promote and fund eastern projects they will be very popular, and if they dont they are out of a job.

im sorry your upset you were born with a slight disadvantage... but no amount of complaining will change the effect of how democracy works

The out cry is going to start if the proposed pipe fr. Alta runs thru Quebec and their cry of separation starts all over again. 

3 hours ago, Slegr said:

We would have had a team earlier (60s) if CBC and Toronto didn’t hold us back, concerned about TV revenues being split further.

Partially true. The two other pieces that most forget is that in the 60's Maple Leaf owner Stafford Smythe offered to build an NHL arena in Vancouver. All he wanted was the city to gift him the land, and the city told him to pound sand. The other piece was that the prospective owner of a Vancouver franchise, Coley Hall, was hated by the NHL owners because he held the hockey territorial rights to San Francisco, so the planned expansion to San Francisco in 1967 ended up in Oakland. They did not last, but as long as Hall was involved in anything, the NHL wouldn't consider Vancouver. They even had to shop for an owner, a Minnesota entrepreneur named Tom Scallen who later did time on a federal rap for stealing $3 Million from the Vancouver Canucks. To put that into perspective, the team paid $6 million to the NHL as a franchise fee.

And this has been another Curmudgeon episode of way more than you wanted to know.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

I’m not at any disadvantage I’ve been retired for a year now. At 63. And am still hanging on to 2 houses. Ones gone this year. It’s the albertans that need appeasement and some northerners. I’ll even throw sask into the mix because they to have untapped resources that are stuck in the ground because of an eastern majority fed gov. But that’ll have to wait for Trudeau to go. Because it does seem he’s got it out for Alta. Throw in the demand for fuel in Europe. And the possibility of the eastern proposal the east will start whining. Count on it. 

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

The out cry is going to start if the proposed pipe fr. Alta runs thru Quebec and their cry of separation starts all over again. 

look at this way....

one small family of 5 always votes what to have for dinner and it always is between meatloaf and mac and cheese... the vote always ends up 3/2 for a few weeks in a row for meatloaf. then one week the mac and cheese crowd complain that they will make their own food and eat on their own terms... not wanting to seperate the family the leaders decide to make mac n cheese this week. but sure enough next week meatloaf wins again, the mac and cheese crowd complains but the leaders remind them they had mac and cheese last week, and they have meatloaf... next week same vote result but this time mac and cheese crowd promises they will make their own food if its not fair.. the leaders think and and come up with a third option (one every person likes but is not their favorite)and agree to never have the same meal two weeks in a row... but overwhelmingly from then on out mac and cheese is hardly ever chosen,, the mac and cheese crowd complains... and the leaders says they will have more mac and cheese in the future on special occasions... but mac and cheese is hardly had for dinner from this point on....

4 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

look at this way....

one small family of 5 always votes what to have for dinner and it always is between meatloaf and mac and cheese... the vote always ends up 3/2 for a few weeks in a row for meatloaf. then one week the mac and cheese crowd complain that they will make their own food and eat on their own terms... not wanting to seperate the family the leaders decide to make mac n cheese this week. but sure enough next week meatloaf wins again, the mac and cheese crowd complains but the leaders remind them they had mac and cheese last week, and they have meatloaf... next week same vote result but this time mac and cheese crowd promises they will make their own food if its not fair.. the leaders think and and come up with a third option (one every person likes but is not their favorite)and agree to never have the same meal two weeks in a row... but overwhelmingly from then on out mac and cheese is hardly ever chosen,, the mac and cheese crowd complains... and the leaders says they will have more mac and cheese in the future on special occasions... but mac and cheese is hardly had for dinner from this point on....

Tell that to the out of work patch  worker that’s used to steak and sick of ichiban and K-D. Don’t get me wrong I’m a proponent of oil and gas. Alternative energy isn’t coming fast enough to ignore the demand and how that relates to our Abundance of it being stuck in the ground.  And the demand for it. Whether it’s Asia or Europe. 

2 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Tell that to the out of work patch  worker that’s used to steak and sick of ichiban and K-D. Don’t get me wrong I’m a proponent of oil and gas. Alternative energy isn’t coming fast enough to ignore the demand and how that relates to our Abundance of it being stuck in the ground.  And the demand for it. Whether it’s Asia or Europe. 

i imagine it will come to a breaking point somewhere down the line...

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I'm East of the Rockies.....

maybe...you wanna...

grab dinner.....?

and... maybe...

watch the game together?..

maybe...?:emot-parrot:

I go too far sometimes; sorry.

Glad you got my first response.

I am also a hypocrite.

I owe my good life to colonialism and I mourn what it has done to the aboriginal people and their land.

I 'fight' the destruction of the old ecosystems, but would have nothing if it wasn't for the forest industry in BC.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm a crazy old fart who doesn't always control his yap properly.

And now it spills out of my keyboard too.

It's like I'm almost too old to grow up or something, I don't know.

Born on the Island, I resist the pull of the mainland.

Born in BC, I resist the pull of Canada.

Born in Canada, I resist the pull of the rest of the world.

But it is selfish, and there are so many people in need all over the world.

I'm out.  Sorry to dribble on.

Pretty Marchanding Melancholy today.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

i imagine it will come to a breaking point somewhere down the line...

Why I related this very controversial issue is because there is real comparison to the OPs story line.  In more ways than 1. Opposition to Alta tar sands doesn’t come from Alta or northern BC it comes from every where else but. And every else isn’t  impacted. As much as not carrying on with it does to Alta and northern BC. That’s not to say it’s any good for the global environment because it isn’t. There’s approx 15 yrs of  Carbon based fuels left. And it’s something Canada could capitalize BIG on but in typical Canadian fashion they screw it up. 

• Cheers 1

Alright meme posting aside, you’re making me actually defend a massive Canadian telecommunications company here, which goes to show how silly this is.

Sportsnet does not hate us. Sportsnet is owned by Rogers which just renewed a massive corporate partnership with the Canucks. If anything they want the Canucks to be successful. Being a primary sponsor of a good team in Canada’s third biggest market would net them tonnes of money.

There are 2 reasons Sportsnet has negative Canucks coverage.

1. Bias from Eastern pundits that is independent of the company as a whole.

2. Local pundits ACCURATELY pointing out the team is hot garbage.

• There it is 1

Considering where the Canucks are in now, I think it's us who owe Sportsnet an apology. For years I've been hearing people here saying Sportsnet is bias, they don't know anything, etc etc. 

In the end, and how the last few seasons, have turned out the Sportsnet's assessment of the Canucks were more accurate than ours. 

I think we lost the right to be arrogant and dismissive of what Sportsnet says about the Canucks 

20 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Considering where the Canucks are in now, I think it's us who owe Sportsnet an apology. For years I've been hearing people here saying Sportsnet is bias, they don't know anything, etc etc. 

In the end, and how the last few seasons, have turned out the Sportsnet's assessment of the Canucks were more accurate than ours. 

I think we lost the right to be arrogant and dismissive of what Sportsnet says about the Canucks 

Benning must have had paid spin doctors here because it was unhealthy to take a stand against him on this forum.

Everyone that said anything negative about Benning were labelled as being from the cesspool on HF.

Nowadays that is almost completely gone.

If the board had followed the same protocol now with JR and PA as with Benning a lot of posters here would have strucked down and said that this poster should be blocked etc if someone dared to say anything negativ about them.

And as everybode see for themselves, not much of that is happening.

New management has barely been here a year and a lot of posters want to tar them, feather them and drive them themselves to the nearest airport.

• Haha 1