The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 year Re-Tool (Is it possible?)

Rate this topic

CanucksJay

5 hours ago, jyu said:

1. Trade Horvat and Schenn for Kotkaniemi, RD prospect, 1st from Carolina before the TDL.

2. Trade Garland at the TDL.

3. If we get one of the top 3 picks, draft Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson. The goal is to draft a center in 2023, unless Michkov is available at our pick.

4. Sign Severson to 4 years 4.5 mil in the off season.

5. Sign a back up.

Mik-Petey-Kuz 18 mil

Pearson-Miller-Boeser 18 mil

Podz-Kotka-Hogs 6.5 mil

Joshua-Aman-Lazar 3.5 mil

Hughes-Severson 12 mil

OEL-Myers 13.5 mil

Dermott-Bear 4 mil

Demko-Backup 6.5 mil

82 mil.

I would look for a 4C for PK since Aman doesn't quite bring that.

This is a horrendous lineup.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

I think we've got some really good pieces that we could build a team around that might be able to take one or possibly two runs at the cup in the next 3 to 5 years. I don't think we're in a position to build a team that will be a contender for any length of time. As others have already said, we have very little in the way of prospects and no real organisational depth. Those couple of runs at the cup that I mention above could be easily derailed by just a couple of serious injuries to our really good pieces and then it would have all been for nothing. 

A mini rebuild of maybe two to three years where we can maybe get a few extra picks here or there and build up the prospect pool would be the best way to take advantage of the talent that we have in Demko, Petterson, and Hughes. We could possibly contend for five or six years while those guys are in their prime.

I don't see how that makes sense.

I guess if you build your team out of 30 + year olds with no prospects, sure

but if your team is good enough to make a run

and you can sell high a few players you should be able to keep it going, provided you don't sell all of your picks

Demko was a second round pick, there were about 7-8 goalies picked in his draft, including Sorokin and Shesterkin

adding pieces like that is what allows you to retool and keep your cap down for continued success

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Wise Guy said:

1) Sell the team and have it moved.

2) Get a brand new team and build it just like Vegas and Seattle did.

Then Bettman will announce a new expansion format so Vancouver only gets the dregs of the NHL, and will be barred for 4 years getting a top 5 draft pick.

• Vintage 1

On 1/27/2023 at 5:58 PM, BureBurrito said:

what has the last decade shown?:huh:

Well not Vancouver but LA Kings, Dallas, and Rangers all had successful retools. 

If management believes this core is worth retooling, then they have to do it right like the teams I just mentioned