The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US cities brace for riots upon release of video of Tyre Nichols’ death

Slegr

Was reading about this the other yesterday, it's ugly.

People are also pointing to how quickly this has all been processed and all of the officers being black. 

The officers should absolutely have the book thrown at them but there's questions as to why this has been such a quick process and as to whether it'd be taking place as quickly if the officers weren't all POC. Lot of POC already don't trust the police or the systems down there, this isn't going to help with that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

You absolutely know that the way and speed in which this was handled is entirely different than normal and for the US law enforcement to be making this statement about being prepared for violence they absolutely positively know they screwed up again.

It's also remarkable how fast these officers were fired and charged and yes there IS one marked difference between this and almost every other high profile police related death that resulted in punishment for the officers.  I won't suggest that's the reason for expedited charges but 

Edited by Warhippy

Bunch of organized thugs hiding behind a badge.

No better than the criminals they’re supposed to be putting behind bars.

Thank god for cameras catching everything now. Just think about how long this has been happening with no evidence.

What happened to defund the police? Seems like that lost all its momentum.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

From my understanding everyone a part of this incident were of the same race. Correct me if I am wrong. 

Also excessive use of force from police isn’t just limited to prejudice towards races.

Incompetence is one of the main factors in every incident that’s ever happened.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

From my understanding everyone a part of this incident were of the same race. Correct me if I am wrong. 

Also excessive use of force from police isn’t just limited to prejudice towards races.

Incompetence is one of the main factors in every incident that’s ever happened.

I don’t see this as incompetence.

I see this as four cops looking to take out their anger on him for making them look foolish. Like how did he get away the first time. Seriously…

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Bunch of organized thugs hiding behind a badge.

No better than the criminals they’re supposed to be putting behind bars.

Thank god for cameras catching everything now. Just think about how long this has been happening with no evidence.

What happened to defund the police? Seems like that lost all its momentum.

The "left" does a poor job of coming up with slogans.  It should have never been defund, but here we are.

• Cheers 1

Big cop throwing several hay-makers to the head of the victim, while he was subdued, and already having been battered by the lot of them.

His tough buddy-at-arms putting the baton to use while he was on the ground.

And yet another piece of primordial ooze with a badge and a low brow, kicking him in the head like a FG kicker in the NFL.

The City of Memphis has over an hour of video footage (in 4 parts) on this, - body-cam, street-cam, etc. and I couldn't continue watching past the 15 minute mark of part 2....it was APPALLING. Not a strong enough word actually. SICKENING.

• Upvote 1

This was dropped last night.  Real change is going to have to happen ASAP.  If the BLM protests did little, then I fear what may be needed to get some real change.  

The warrior cop mentality that cops was drilled into them is going to have to go.  Not tomorrow.  Not next week.  NOW.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/florida-cops-charged-with-horrific-beating-of-homeless-man

Florida Cops Charged With Horrific Beating of Handcuffed Homeless Man

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Big cop throwing several hay-makers to the head of the victim, while he was subdued, and already having been battered by the lot of them.

His tough buddy-at-arms putting the baton to use while he was on the ground.

And yet another piece of primordial ooze with a badge and a low brow, kicking him in the head like a FG kicker in the NFL.

The City of Memphis has over an hour of video footage (in 4 parts) on this, - body-cam, street-cam, etc. and I couldn't continue watching past the 15 minute mark of part 2....it was APPALLING. Not a strong enough word actually. SICKENING.

These guys should be locked up and the keys thrown away.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

These guys should be locked up and the keys thrown away.  

They’ve been fired, arrested and face numerous charges, including 2nd degree murder. 

All the evidence is there. 

The keys will be thrown away. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Like 1

Whether they were arrested quickly or not, focus should be on yet another black person who died by yet again by the very same people who are supposed to “protect” and “serve”. POC remain disproportionately targeted by police brutality. 

That won’t stop Americans from politicizing this injustice to fit their agendas.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see this as incompetence.

I see this as four cops looking to take out their anger on him for making them look foolish. Like how did he get away the first time. Seriously…

You’re right it isn’t incompetence, it’s inhumane. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Whether they were arrested quickly or not, focus should be on yet another black person who died by yet again by the very same people who are supposed to “protect” and “serve”. POC remain disproportionately targeted by police brutality. 

That won’t stop Americans from politicizing this injustice to fit their agendas.

You think these officers don’t beat this person so badly if he’s white?  Weren’t the officers black?  Is this a race thing?  I don’t know.  Why in heck would they do this?  It’s sick behaviour.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Was reading about this the other yesterday, it's ugly.

People are also pointing to how quickly this has all been processed and all of the officers being black. 

The officers should absolutely have the book thrown at them but there's questions as to why this has been such a quick process and as to whether it'd be taking place as quickly if the officers weren't all POC. Lot of POC already don't trust the police or the systems down there, this isn't going to help with that. 

The race card has often been overplayed in discussions and here's why. See below for the current chief of police in Memphis - she is obviously not white. Note: she was the one who said that the videos were disgusting to watch (not an exact quote) before they were released.

I'm not saying race isn't an issue, but I think America has a class problem as well, but isn't talked about much. I just don't think we should be talking about race for this particular incident at all.

image.png.b60e94b7910dab3517cc80f855a774c5.png

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1