The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US cities brace for riots upon release of video of Tyre Nichols’ death

Slegr

58 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Whether they were arrested quickly or not, focus should be on yet another black person who died by yet again by the very same people who are supposed to “protect” and “serve”. POC remain disproportionately targeted by police brutality. 

That won’t stop Americans from politicizing this injustice to fit their agendas.

Race has nothing to do with this incident. All cops were black. The police chief was black.

We should stop playing the game of whack-a-mole with regards to race. Race shouldn't even mentioned at all for this case.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

The race card has often been overplayed in discussions and here's why. See below for the current chief of police in Memphis. Note: she was the one who said that the videos were disgusting to watch (not an exact quote). I'm not saying race isn't an issue, but I think America has a class problem as well, but isn't talked about much.

image.png.b60e94b7910dab3517cc80f855a774c5.png

Yup.  Lots of problems in the US that lead to this dehumanizing of others.  Those officers treated that man like he was worthless. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The race card has often been overplayed in discussions and here's why. See below for the current chief of police in Memphis - she is obviously not white. Note: she was the one who said that the videos were disgusting to watch (not an exact quote) before they were released.

I'm not saying race isn't an issue, but I think America has a class problem as well, but isn't talked about much. I just don't think we should be talking about race for this particular incident at all.

And you're welcome to your view, that's perfectly fine

It's not just me writing what I wrote though, from what I've seen it's overwhelmingly been POC pointing out how speedy the process is

All this being said, the issue is multifaceted and class absolutely plays a role as well

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You absolutely know that the way and speed in which this was handled is entirely different than normal and for the US law enforcement to be making this statement about being prepared for violence they absolutely positively know they screwed up again.

It's also remarkable how fast these officers were fired and charged and yes there IS one marked difference between this and almost every other high profile police related death that resulted in punishment for the officers.  I won't suggest that's the reason for expedited charges but 

What is the reason then?

Just now, Coconuts said:

And you're welcome to your view, that's perfectly fine

It's not just me writing what I wrote though, from what I've seen it's overwhelmingly been POC pointing out how speedy the process is

All this being said, the issue is multifaceted and class absolutely plays a role as well

The evidence is beyond clear-cut. Not only that, we have George Floyd as a backdrop. Most importantly, the chief herself did not defend her officers' conducts. That's worth something too. She said the videos were horrible to watch before they were released.

I think the constant mention of race is not helpful for this particular case. This is a clear cut police brutality that is related to training for starters. There's also questions about the behaviour of one of the officers who allegedly had a reputation for brutality as a corrections officer.

It sure seems curious as to why the officers were so charged up to start the whole thing. I thought to myself it must have been a full moon that night, and sure enough, Jan 7th, it was as full as it gets. Weird crap and behaviours seem to happen on full moons.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Slegr said:

So, at 2:33 of the video there's more than 5 cops in the video.  One Caucasian officer helping hold him down asking for what looks like ankle restraints because he's flailing his legs.

What I wanna know is of the 8(?) Officers present in the video around the time the beating ended what about the other 3 ?

Will they also see punishment?

Ya this may not be "race related" I get it, but it's STILL the same damned thing, cops murdering people and some getting off easy for it and that's what people are demanding change over

7 minutes ago, Slegr said:

It sure seems curious as to why the officers were so charged up to start the whole thing. I thought to myself it must have been a full moon that night, and sure enough, Jan 7th, it was as full as it gets. Weird crap and behaviours seem to happen on full moons.

They were charged up because they already had him down and let him get away.

Their fragile little egos were bruised and they were taking it out on him like they probably do their wives.

How do cops like this keep getting hired?!?

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

From my understanding everyone a part of this incident were of the same race. Correct me if I am wrong. 

Also excessive use of force from police isn’t just limited to prejudice towards races.

Incompetence is one of the main factors in every incident that’s ever happened.

You're not wrong...

....however, if you're saying that it isn't possible for a bunch of black cops to be prejudiced against black civilians, then I disagree....

24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You're not wrong...

....however, if you're saying that it isn't possible for a bunch of black cops to be prejudiced against black civilians, then I disagree....

It’s really bad, regardless of what skin tone the people involved happen to have.  

• Like 1

Why is anyone bringing race into this story?  

Every single story in the States first has the race filter applied by people.  If this discourse continues, racial relations will get worst. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Why is anyone bringing race into this story?  

Every single story in the States first has the race filter applied by people.  If this discourse continues, racial relations will get worst. 

This isn’t about race though.  It’s been pointed out already (smart poster did so earlier) this is about class.  The US has not only a race problem, but also a class problem.  

Cops reflect U.S population and country’s violent core and nature.

From mass shootings, gang violence, kids killing kids, deaths caused by reckless gun owners etc.

Every year thousands of young black people are killed by other black people.

Now I am supposed to be shocked that 5 cops killed person that has same skin color as they do.

U.S has the violence problem more than any other problem and that includes race.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They were charged up because they already had him down and let him get away.

Their fragile little egos were bruised and they were taking it out on him like they probably do their wives.

How do cops like this keep getting hired?!?

Cause no one want to be a cop now..  dangerous job and underpaid..   so u get a lot of unqualified ones getting these jobs..  

• Vintage 1

you can say race didnt play a role but it may have as well.
if you have watched straight outta comptom...there is a scene where the cop is black and he is harassing  the guys outside their recording studio calling them the n word etc and making assumptions they are criminals cause they are in a wealthier part of town.
black cops can be racist to...even against other black people.
sounds absurd but racial profiling happens all the time.
i was listening to a prominent black journalist who also mentioned that black cops can be biased and bigots even against other black people.
just saying.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

The race card has often been overplayed in discussions and here's why. See below for the current chief of police in Memphis - she is obviously not white. Note: she was the one who said that the videos were disgusting to watch (not an exact quote) before they were released.

I'm not saying race isn't an issue, but I think America has a class problem as well, but isn't talked about much. I just don't think we should be talking about race for this particular incident at all.

I've seen comments that when it comes with cops, there is no race.  They are cops.  The all can ruin your day.  They all carry a gun.  

Sometimes, the minority and female cops are the worst.  They have something to prove.  

1 hour ago, jovocop55 said:

Cause no one want to be a cop now..  dangerous job and underpaid..   so u get a lot of unqualified ones getting these jobs..  

It isn't though.  It rarely breaks the top 20 in the US, let alone the top 10 most dangerous.  And in the last couple years, the thing that killed the most cops in the US was Covid-19.   I think #2 was vehicular in nature.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Bunch of organized thugs hiding behind a badge.

No better than the criminals they’re supposed to be putting behind bars.

Thank god for cameras catching everything now. Just think about how long this has been happening with no evidence.

What happened to defund the police? Seems like that lost all its momentum.

Republicans….