The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US cities brace for riots upon release of video of Tyre Nichols’ death

Slegr

One picture to illustrate the roots of the problem.  

EDIT:  Yes, they get these vehicles for "free".  The catch is they have to "use" them at least once a year and maintain them so they can be operational at a moments notice.  It's not like the parts for these things can be picked up at the local NAPA Autoparts store.  So yes, these things do cost taxpayers money and are not free.

RDT_20230128_1315265227803440041661620.jpg

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

One picture to illustrate the roots of the problem.  

EDIT:  Yes, they get these vehicles for "free".  The catch is they have to "use" them at least once a year and maintain them so they can be operational at a moments notice.  It's not like the parts for these things can be picked up at the local NAPA Autoparts store.  So yes, these things do cost taxpayers money and are not free.

RDT_20230128_1315265227803440041661620.jpg

This absolutely nails it. If I was a cop and instead of a revolver you gave me an automatic weapon I'd have to assume there was a reason why you gave me an auto. Arm them like they are going into war and  war is what you will get.

This isn't a race issue at all. It isn't even a training issue. What it is, is a lack of accountability and a lack of morality. Does anyone really need training to know this is not right? Five large armed guys giving a skinny guy the beating of a lifetime. They knew it was wrong and they did not care. Because all of them knew not one of them was going to rat the others out.

This is not a police unit it's a gang. The issue now is how many others are out there terrorizing the very people they have sworn to protect?

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

This absolutely nails it. If I was a cop and instead of a revolver you gave me an automatic weapon I'd have to assume there was a reason why you gave me an auto. Arm them like they are going into war and  war is what you will get.

This isn't a race issue at all. It isn't even a training issue. What it is, is a lack of accountability and a lack of morality. Does anyone really need training to know this is not right? Five large armed guys giving a skinny guy the beating of a lifetime. They knew it was wrong and they did not care. Because all of them knew not one of them was going to rat the others out.

This is not a police unit it's a gang. The issue now is how many others are out there terrorizing the very people they have sworn to protect?

Well, there is a training issue though.  It is the "warrior" ideology.  The Us vs Them mentality.  I forget the name of the guy, but there is one guy who has gone and "trained" many police departments in this ethos.

https://harvardlawreview.org/2015/04/law-enforcements-warrior-problem/

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I get what you're saying but I am talking about the most basic level of morality and human decency. No one needs to be trained to know that you do not take a man whom is handcuffed, restrained and being held by other officers and use his head as a football simply because you feel you can. That's not Warrior Mentality it's simply a broken moral compass.

I get what you are saying.  I also think that the mentality that cops are trained with can put officers in a mental position where it really isn't much of a jump to beat on a restrained person.  To not have any sympathy or decency.  

19 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I get what you are saying. I also think that the mentality that cops are trained with can put officers in a mental position where it really isn't much of a jump to beat on a restrained person. To not have any sympathy or decency.

There is a difference between 'beat' and what these officers did. What they did was savagely and sadistically attack this defenceless man like a pack of wild animals. That is long past the point where the other officers step in and put a stop to it. People are afraid to go into areas of Mexico like Sinaloa and Colima because of Mexican drug cartels and their lawlessness. These officers behave like cartel members. So what is the answer when the cartel is in American cities like Memphis? The answer should not be 'more training', it should be root them out in an all out war on lawlessness.

No more cops investigating cops.

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, jovocop55 said:

Cause no one want to be a cop now..  dangerous job and underpaid..   so u get a lot of unqualified ones getting these jobs..  

I saw @thedestroyerofworlds point out the bit about the danger of the job but I thought I’d also point out that they’re really not underpaid. They’re paid quite well as a matter of fact. Virtually all first class VPD constables are making at least $120k per year, many of which are making >$150K and many more are making >$175K with the overtime they get. And the overtime is gravy- it’s working Canucks games, not the Rodney King riots. This is for a group of people that by any large don’t have the skills or education to land a job other than policing that would pay them anywhere close to what they get as cops. 

17 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I saw @thedestroyerofworlds point out the bit about the danger of the job but I thought I’d also point out that they’re really not underpaid. They’re paid quite well as a matter of fact. Virtually all first class VPD constables are making at least $120k per year, many of which are making >$150K and many more are making >$175K with the overtime they get. And the overtime is gravy- it’s working Canucks games, not the Rodney King riots. This is for a group of people that by any large don’t have the skills or education to land a job other than policing that would pay them anywhere close to what they get as cops.

Pretty big difference in what American cops make compared to forces like VPD and RCMP...(depending on which state they're in) Not surprisingly, some of the lowest paid cops are in the Southeast.....including Tennessee, where the average salary is $45k....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewdepietro/2020/04/23/police-officer-salary-state/?sh=2805134e2010