The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Tocchet will Be a Good HC for Us (Randip Janda / Frank Corrado)

Rate this topic

TFerguson

I'm pleasantly surprised and cautiously optimistic about Tocchet.  He's not the anti-Bruce that some of us feared he was but does seem like a better bet to get some accountability and consistency out of this group.  At least there seems to be some alignment between the coach and the front office about priorities and the team's direction now.  I still am not convinced about Allvin and despise the way Rutherford undermined Bruce, but that makes Tocchet the least of our problems.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

JR wanted to bring in Tocchet after last season.  Our owner said no.  I wonder if Aquilini is learning he’s not the smartest in the room, when it comes to hockey ops? 

Well, I hope he learned it by now. But learning is reserved for hard working and/or intelligent people. He ain't intelligent but is he hard working? Well, hard at work destroying the team that's for sure.

Still think was better to let Bruce ride out the season while the sell-off begins. 
‘What good is another coaching bump.

‘Mirroring last season, coaching change too late to make a difference other than to draft position. Complain about lack of D and spend more on wingers without addressing the issue but at least we are going to trade one of two NHL centres in the entire organization. 
‘What has JR spent on wingers so far Mik, JT, Kuz, Lazar, Joshua almost everything he has done is to enhance the area of greatest organizational depth while doing nothing in the areas of weakness.  Back to selling off pics and prospects for cap room. Benning’s formula for another few years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

JR wanted to bring in Tocchet after last season.  Our owner said no.  I wonder if Aquilini is learning he’s not the smartest in the room, when it comes to hockey ops? 

It's hard to say. Hindsight is 20/20, but Tocchet doesn't have the best head coach record. Had we hired him instead of Boudreau, we could very well been in the same position, except we'd yell at Aquilini for hiring another subpar coach.

We've seen this song and dance play out before. New coach comes in with new ideas and it works initially, but we don't know.

Honestly, this new management has done very little so far to warrant any praise. Their assessment plans have all been bad, except for their UFA signings. However, if their UFA signings are the only reasons for their success, they really didn't do a good job to begin with.

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Still think was better to let Bruce ride out the season while the sell-off begins. 

‘Mirroring last season, coaching change too late to make a difference other than to draft position. Complain about lack of D and spend more on wingers without addressing the issue but at least we are going to trade one of two NHL centres in the entire organization. 
‘What has JR spent on wingers so far Mik, JT, Kuz, Lazar, Joshua almost everything he has done is to enhance the area of greatest organizational depth while doing nothing in the areas of weakness.  Back to selling off pics and prospects for cap room. Benning’s formula for another few years. 

What do you mean Benning's formula?

At the same time, depth was not what they strengthened. If anything, they overloaded on forwards and did not address anything on defense, which is the opposite of what you're arguing.

We are at the bottom of the standings because they made poor assessments up until this point. By not trading Miller and trading Horvat instead, we have further reduced our depth, considering Horvat is the better player.

Just bad decisions all around. Not to mention cap management is poor as well.

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

‘Mirroring last season, coaching change too late to make a difference other than to draft position.

Tocchet need to know his players, hence the importance to get him onboard asap.

Wait til season ends is and the Canucks loose a lot in preparations regarding trades etc.

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Complain about lack of D and spend more on wingers without addressing the issue but at least we are going to trade one of two NHL centres in the entire organization. 

Well, wich of Myers, OEL and Hughes can you get rid of? 

Without loosing one of those three no good RD will come in and we continue with the bottom D. 

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's hard to say. Hindsight is 20/20, but Tocchet doesn't have the best head coach record. Had we hired him instead of Boudreau, we could very well been in the same position, except we'd yell at Aquilini for hiring another subpar coach.

We've seen this song and dance play out before. New coach comes in with new ideas and it works initially, but we don't know.

Honestly, this new management has done very little so far to warrant any praise. Their assessment plans have all been bad, except for their UFA signings. However, if their UFA signings are the only reasons for their success, they really didn't do a good job to begin with.

He's got three years to slowly make the changes necessary. 

If hw knows "people" better than the old school types like Green, Benning and Cull he will be in a much better position going forward. 

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Wait til season ends is and the Canucks loose a lot in preparations regarding trades etc.

Without loosing one of those three no good RD will come in and we continue with the bottom D. 

If hw knows "people" better than the old school types like Green, Benning and Cull he will be in a much better position going forward. 

I'm not sure Cull is really considered "old school" types. Heck, even Benning was not old school. Green is the only dinosaur lol. I think we both can agree on that.

Just going out on a limb here, but last game I watched Miller, and he came close a few times to scoring. But every time he failed, he looked up at the sky, got pissed off. One game (last one or the one before), Miller slammed his stick on the boards after going to the bench. The guy is a hothead. Tocchet has a lot of work to do with the team as he said, but is JT too much of a project? 

Right now they're assessing players and the team, and I wonder if he's looking at Miller going "Geez, I don't know, this is just how he is I guess, always has been resally, which is possibly a reason the NYR traded him several years ago."

31 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

What do you mean Benning's formula?

At the same time, depth was not what they strengthened. If anything, they overloaded on forwards and did not address anything on defense, which is the opposite of what you're arguing.

We are at the bottom of the standings because they made poor assessments up until this point. By not trading Miller and trading Horvat instead, we have further reduced our depth, considering Horvat is the better player.

Just bad decisions all around. Not to mention cap management is poor as well.

Benning formula of retool. Spending on UFAs like we are a competitive team, burning assets for older failed prospect to fill the age gap, fighting to get to the middle with no thought of getting to the top. Winger after winger after winger without any thought to drafting or developing right D or centres especially right shot ones.
The Benning formula. 

17 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

This is why a more extensive rebuild is needed. There is no quick fix. 

44 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm not sure Cull is really considered "old school" types. Heck, even Benning was not old school. Green is the only dinosaur lol. I think we both can agree on that.

Benning was old school. His scouts were more modern. So he adapted through his scouts, not by his own mind. 

Cull most definately is old school regarding how he coached in Utica. 

Not a modern approach anywhere there. 

Don't you remember the nordic players wanting out? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

No, it's only to find a solution to Myers or/and OEL and press GO. 

At least one or two top2 RD will be available through two seasons. 

The solution to that problem is to buyout OEL and to trade Myers after we pay him the $5 million bonus in the summer.  Arizona might bite as they need to get to the cap floor and they would only be on the hook for $1 million in salary next year.  Once these guys are gone we can start to rebuild the defence.

• Upvote 1