The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Multiple NHL coaches blame Canucks ownership & Rutherford for Boudreau debacle

Rate this topic

fivethej

1 hour ago, Tank4Bedard said:

Pick 1, what do you prefer 

a) Aquilini sells the team, and the team gets re-located to say Houston 

b) Everything stays the same as it is right now with Aqua being the owner 

We went to game 7 of the Stanely Cup finals with Aquilini as the owner, so it's not all bad.  We had our moments.  Also, he bailed us from an American owner who would have 100% moved the team to the USA.

At the end of the day, Aquilini sets the direction, like @Alflives likes to point out on a daily basis.  However, it's up to the GM to actually make the trades and draft the players and sign the free agents.  Did Aquilini force Benning to draft Virtanen or Juolevi?  Did Aquilini force Benning to trade for OEL and Garland?  Did Aquilini force Benning to trade for Linden Vey or Sven Baertschi?  Did Aquilini tell JR to focus only on signing wingers in the summer and to not touch the defence?

The direction from the owner is to win the cup.  We almost did it 12 years ago.  Now we are in a state of flux, with multiple coaching changes, GM changes, and bad contracts on the books, along with limited prospects in the pipeline.  Should we now blow it all up and rely on the lottery to save us with Bedard?  Will Bedard himself be able to save this franchise?  If we go into a hard rebuild, will Petey and Huggy stick around?  If not, are you prepared to be a lottery team for the next 5-6 years while we are rebuilding the entire team after trading Petey and Huggy?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

Love how they tried to pin it on Elliot. It's medias job to dig this stuff up. 31 of the other teams find a way to do this respectfully, have never witnessed anything like it. Old man JR comes in, shoots his mouth off and gets us in hot water. He got away with a lot of murder in Pittsburgh (namely bad trades) but it won't fly in a Canadian market.

Say what you want about JB and his bad cap management but he'd never disrespect a hockey great coach like this.

That being said if they miraculously create a playoff team next year and a solid winner built around tough "structure" around Rick, everyone will forget this.

Ironically, I could very easily see Calgary miss the playoffs and fire Suter because he's not gelling well with the new additions. Kadri and Huberdeau are dreadful this year and stifled. Throw Bruce Boudreau into that mix and suddenly you've got a couple of 90-100pt scorers again, and their defence and goaltending is so solid that they can cover up BB's loose structure well. Would be a perfect fit and this whole JR mess would be the perfect villain origin story for BB.

More than 1.... you'll always find a coach, who doesn't approve of how things has been handled... Maybe Bruces best buddy...

Could it have been handled better, yes, but this is nothing but sh!t stirring from some hack in Toronto....

I liked Bruce, we all liked Bruce, but we weren't going anywhere, and 80% of knowledgable folks said that biggest issue in Vancouver, is the lack of systems...

Well systems are down to the coach, and apparently JR/PA and Bruce didn't see eye to eye on this, so there is just going to be one winner, which is the way it should be. Otherwise, what's the idea of a President and a GM?

Time will tell if they will come good, and good knows I have not been the biggest fan of them up until now, but things do take time. 

Fans wanted a President, so FA got one with 3 cup rings... I'd suggest that is a pretty good CV, so now we got to give them some time to do, what they were hired to do...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Toews said:

Francesco Aquilini needs to go, whether he sells the team or relinquishes his control to one of his brothers. He is the cancer in this organization that needs to be rooted out but Steve Simmons is absolute blowhard and I doubt he has any real sources. The guy is an absolute joke. 

As far as the Boudreau situation goes, its on both management and ownership. We have seen quite a few comments from people associated with the league. But of course to people who believe the Canucks can do no wrong, they will continue to believe that this is a media generated controversy.

This is a media generated controversy.

Boudreau has been in Tocchets situation himself so it’s just hypocracy to blow this out of proportions.

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

JR said he had autonomy and that the owner doesn’t influence hockey ops.  Clearly there are a lot of hockey people who are saying JR is a puppet of Aquilini.  IMHAO JR is weak.  He could tell the owner to stuff his ideas, but he knows doing that would cost him any future NHL jobs.  Sure JR does what the owner wants.  And Bruce was a guy who suffered because of JR’s weakness.  JR wanted to move on from Bruce last summer but the owner said no.  JR should have told the owner it’s “Bruce or me”.  Too weak to stand up to the puppeteer.  

Why would a HHOF guy who's approaching his mid-70's, dealt with multiple owners in his 4th decade now, give two hoots about his future job opportunities?    If anything this is him just saying I don't care about the backlash, and getting the coach i wanted in to start preparing for he next season/chapter.    Yes it didn't end well.   Neither did Bruce's record this season.   This is a results business - like Green, he just couldn't get it done.   For sure JR didn't provide him with a better D roster - but did provide him with a better roster still by adding Ilya M and Kuzmenko.   Demko going down and not playing to snuff definitely played into it as well.   How many leads did we blow again?  And wow - even super crap rosters like ARI and CHI can kill penalties better than us.     Get where there is smoke and all that... and that Bruce was a fan and player favourite.   A younger president/GM maybe wouldn't have done this for optics sake.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Steve Simmons is the Tony Gallagher of Toronto sports media.  Jeff Paterson, Sekeras and Price would all be considered saints compared to this guy.

If anyone actually believes this parasite has any credible sources then I have some real nice swamp land I can sell you in Florida...

Exactly, to be honest I don't think I would even place him alongside Gallagher.

And like usual with Leaf guys reporting on Canuck stuff it sounds like they've read a couple headlines and made their own story - Tochhet was first rumoured eight days before he was hired? Really?!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Why would a HHOF guy who's approaching his mid-70's, dealt with multiple owners in his 4th decade now, give two hoots about his future job opportunities?    If anything this is him just saying I don't care about the backlash, and getting the coach i wanted in to start preparing for he next season/chapter.    Yes it didn't end well.   Neither did Bruce's record this season.   This is a results business - like Green, he just couldn't get it done.   For sure JR didn't provide him with a better D roster - but did provide him with a better roster still by adding Ilya M and Kuzmenko.   Demko going down and not playing to snuff definitely played into it as well.   How many leads did we blow again?  And wow - even super crap rosters like ARI and CHI can kill penalties better than us.     Get where there is smoke and all that... and that Bruce was a fan and player favourite.   A younger president/GM maybe wouldn't have done this for optics sake.  

JR’s drug of choice is being an NHL executive.  Look at how much he talks to the media.  The guy is addicted to being perceived as “the guy”.  He will not publicly criticize his owner.  He will always protect the owner and the league brand.  People who speak out against their owner do not get NHL jobs.  They aren’t trusted with the “inside” information. JR is a good Old Boys’ club member.  He will definitely want another NHL job and publicly contradicting an owner would prevent that. 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We went to game 7 of the Stanely Cup finals with Aquilini as the owner, so it's not all bad.  We had our moments.  Also, he bailed us from an American owner who would have 100% moved the team to the USA.

At the end of the day, Aquilini sets the direction, like @Alflives likes to point out on a daily basis.  However, it's up to the GM to actually make the trades and draft the players and sign the free agents.  Did Aquilini force Benning to draft Virtanen or Juolevi?  Did Aquilini force Benning to trade for OEL and Garland?  Did Aquilini force Benning to trade for Linden Vey or Sven Baertschi?  Did Aquilini tell JR to focus only on signing wingers in the summer and to not touch the defence?

The direction from the owner is to win the cup.  We almost did it 12 years ago.  Now we are in a state of flux, with multiple coaching changes, GM changes, and bad contracts on the books, along with limited prospects in the pipeline.  Should we now blow it all up and rely on the lottery to save us with Bedard?  Will Bedard himself be able to save this franchise?  If we go into a hard rebuild, will Petey and Huggy stick around?  If not, are you prepared to be a lottery team for the next 5-6 years while we are rebuilding the entire team after trading Petey and Huggy?

Did Aquilini fire Nonis for refusing to trade two young players (Kessler and Edler) for an aging Brad Richards?  In his recent 650 radio interview it sure sounded that way.  So now we have Seravelli suggesting our owner does meddle in hockey ops too.  And the Simmons article. Yes Aquilini sets the direction.  But it appears he meddles in hockey ops too. And the mess around  Bruce is just another example. 

I mean, there no denying that the Canucks dropped the ball here.

But kind of ironic that the medias, who are the ones that leaked the information, are shaming the Canucks way of handling the situation.  They are no better IMO.  They weren't doing a public service by leaking that information, it was all about the click bait, nothing more.

Edited by timberz21

Team needed tearing down and rebuilding when they hired Torts, owner fired Gillis and hired the guy who said I can do it the Bruin way without a rebuild. 
‘Became clear this doesn’t work so they fired Benning 5 years late and hired JR saying the exact same thing and following the exact same plan. 
‘We know where the problem is and have no power to change it. I already spend nothing on the Canucks anymore and will continue to do so as long as this goes on. 
‘When Linden (who wanted to do it right) left, I like many wanted to see an experienced POHO come in to guide his hand, well JR proved me a fool, he has been worse in almost every way so far. 
‘Only good thing so far is Abbotsford and even there the incompetence is creeping in with the unnecessary loss of LP. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Love how they tried to pin it on Elliot. It's medias job to dig this stuff up. 31 of the other teams find a way to do this respectfully, have never witnessed anything like it. Old man JR comes in, shoots his mouth off and gets us in hot water. He got away with a lot of murder in Pittsburgh (namely bad trades) but it won't fly in a Canadian market.

Say what you want about JB and his bad cap management but he'd never disrespect a hockey great coach like this.

That being said if they miraculously create a playoff team next year and a solid winner built around tough "structure" around Rick, everyone will forget this.

Ironically, I could very easily see Calgary miss the playoffs and fire Suter because he's not gelling well with the new additions. Kadri and Huberdeau are dreadful this year and stifled. Throw Bruce Boudreau into that mix and suddenly you've got a couple of 90-100pt scorers again, and their defence and goaltending is so solid that they can cover up BB's loose structure well. Would be a perfect fit and this whole JR mess would be the perfect villain origin story for BB.

The fantasy community understands and would have predicted this and JTM. The first year after signing big contracts is almost always terrible.  I also figured we would probably see Markstrom’s game fall off the longer he was away from Ian Clark.  Should be noted though that last year at this time Calgary had almost an identical record as now, they just got hot the rest of the way. 
Sutter may not survive this but some of the decline is not unexpected but yeah they are worse than expected. BB in Calgary doesn’t really seem like a great fit but who knows. 

1 hour ago, Putgolzin said:

Exactly, to be honest I don't think I would even place him alongside Gallagher.

And like usual with Leaf guys reporting on Canuck stuff it sounds like they've read a couple headlines and made their own story - Tochhet was first rumoured eight days before he was hired? Really?!

Much as I 'seriously disliked' Tony Gallagher, he was a professional reporter with real sources and a very good knowledge of the game.

These turds today stink a lot more, a whole lot more than The Undertaker ever did.

Wikiwand: 

Tony Gallagher (also known as "The Undertaker;" born 1948) is a Canadian journalist. He was a sports columnist for The Province, focusing primarily on hockey, basketball, and tennis until his retirement.

During his tenure as a beat reporter, Gallagher earned the nickname "The Undertaker" from Canucks General Manager Jake Milford for his "dogged pursuit of a story and willingness to bury someone when called for."

As a sports columnist, Gallagher participated in public feuds with Canucks general managers Pat Quinn and later Brian Burke. During Quinn's tenure as GM, Gallagher uncovered that he sent a trainer with a $100,000 cheque to a Los Angeles Kings morning skate at the Coliseum and signed an illegal bonus when becoming the team's new general manager. By the time of his death in 2014, Gallagher said "I changed my mind about Pat rather late in life. I realized so many people loved him. And when there are so many people whose value and judgment you trust love a guy, then he must be all right." He also uncovered how Quinn failed to make transfer payments to Russia, which was used by the cross examiners against Quinn. Gallagher left The Province to work in sports radio at CKWX and then took a two-year sabbatical. Upon his return, Burke attempted to bar Gallagher and Province writers from the dressing room and penned a letter to the editor-in-chief Brian Butters ordering him to fire Gallagher. Butters refused and ran the letter on the front page in an act of defiance. Burke reasoned his letter by accusing Gallagher of “scurrilous editorial attacks.” Burke argued that the animosity between him and Gallagher stemmed from him refusing to give Gallagher "the scoop on his Vancouver appointment" in 1998.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, THERETOOL said:

the guy wants bad things for any franchise that isn't the laffs ..   yeah .. we know this wasn't handled well but forcing the owner to sell ???  lol     what an ahole ... this writer is a joke 

Was just going to add that...Leafs writer saying bad things about us. I don't know that I'm buying in to what he's selling...anything to push us down and make his shiny Leafs shinier.

• Like 1