The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

The team has zero goaltending and virtually nothing coming down the pipes if this happens.

Neither Martin nor Delia are NHL goaltenders.  Silovs is still a long-shot / project.

Trading Demko makes no sense whatsoever unless there is a high end / can't miss goaltending prospect coming back as part of the deal.

Furthermore, who is lining up right now for guy with a 3-10-2 record with a 3.93 GAA and S% of 0.883.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Just now, Frank Caprice said:

The team has zero goaltending and virtually nothing coming down the pipes if this happens.

Neither Martin nor Delia are NHL goaltenders.  Silovs is still a long-shot / project.

Trading Demko makes no sense whatsoever unless there is a high end / can't miss goaltending prospect coming back as part of the deal.

Furthermore, who is lining up right now for guy with a 3-10-2 record with a 3.93 GAA and S% of 0.883.

Silovs is looking good, but he's a long way away

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Frank Caprice said:

it's a necessary move for the stealth tank :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hate to say it, but I don’t think Demko can recover from these two past surgeries. Certainly not to the level of bubble Demko.

Probably should trade him, when he’s still has some value. The problem with this is, if management thinks we can make the playoffs next season. We currently don’t have a viable option in net. 

Ottawa would probably be interested in Demko, considering Talbot will be an UFA in the summer.

Bernard-Docker and a 2nd for Demko.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, I think Demko is young enough still to be good after a rebuild. I'd think this is probably a big mistake unless we get an unbelievable haul or another great young goalie in return.

not rebuilding

• Haha 3

Just now, -AJ- said:

Honestly, I think Demko is young enough still to be good after a rebuild. I'd think this is probably a big mistake unless we get an unbelievable haul.

Goalies historically don't get good hauls.  Schneider got us a top 10 pick. That's it, one piece. We are lucky Horvat worked out because draft picks are a gamble.

Go look at the return Montreal received for a prime Patrick Roy.

Demko is more valuable on the Canucks than the return he would garner, imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Frank Caprice said:

One bad outlier year littered with injuries isn’t who teams would be looking at. They’re looking for the guy who before this year averaged a 2.87 GAA and a .911 save rate behind some historically bad defense. I’d rather keep Demko but if we get an insane return I’d understand it.  

16 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Oh boy this wouldn't go down well with the fans if management give up on our franchise goalie after he has a handful of bad games in between injuries.

Every team's gonna call in on them, they sense the rookie GM and mess of management and want to come pick at our good bits.

Depends on what the return is and what management projects our timeline to be. I'm open to moving Demko but I don't think we're as close as others do. That timeline, and the actual results over he next few years, will impact whether they think he'll want to stick around too. 

He just turned 27 in December so he'll be 28 before next season is half over, are we four years out? Five? Sure, he'd provide stability in the meantime and top goaltenders tend to age better but who knows? Will we contend over the remainder of what's probably his prime? 

Could see a number of teams having interest. LA for one. 

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Depends on what the return is and what management projects our timeline to be. I'm open to moving Demko but I don't think we're as close as others do. That timeline, and the actual results over he next few years, will impact whether they think he'll want to stick around too. 

He just turned 27 in December so he'll be 28 before next season is half over, are we four years out? Five? Sure, he'd provide stability in the meantime and top goaltenders tend to age better but who knows? Will we contend over the remainder of what's probably his prime? 

Could see a number of teams having interest. LA for one. 

There's a few teams out there who could use a goalie in his prime and also have an older goalie they'd love to get rid of that could serve as a placeholder until they can find a Demko replacement.

Still, please no

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2