The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

Just now, stawns said:

I'd be fine with Morrow too, but I think Carolina would be more apt to include their 1st if the Canucks took JK off their hands.  I also think JK is still a very good piece who fits the timeline.  

Hmm, could make sense. They need a better fit at 2C than he's provided if they really want to contend. 

Could even build a deal around sending them both Demko AND Horvat. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

We don't have a replacement for Demko, but if the offer was good, I would consider it.  Carolina and Buffalo seem like the two most logical teams for a trading partner.  Both of Carolina's goalies are UFA's in the summer and they have the cap space for Demko.

To Carolina:

Thatcher Demko

To Vancouver:

Scott Morrow

2023 2nd round pick

nope, if they're trading the only real NHL goalie in their system it's got to be a home run package and there'd have to be a goalie coming back

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hmm, could make sense. They need a better fit at 2C than he's provided if they really want to contend. 

Could even build a deal around sending them both Demko AND Horvat. 

now we're getting somewhere!  That would have to involve Necas I think

Necas

JK

Andersen

Chatfield

1st

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

nope, if they're trading the only real NHL goalie in their system it's got to be a home run package and there'd have to be a goalie coming back

Carolina doesn't have any goalies of value, that's why they would want Demko.  We could take one of the two they have this year to give Carolina more cap room, but they are both UFA's so it won't matter for next year.

There aren't any UFA's of interest this summer, so most likely the Canucks would need a young netminder to come back, which is a difficult deal to do.  Maybe in a separate transaction they could get someone.  If Detroit is interested in BO, then Sebastian Cossa might be a piece coming back...

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

now we're getting somewhere!  That would have to involve Necas I think

Necas

JK

Andersen

Chatfield

1st

Why Chatfield? 

I don't think Carolina's going to trade their leading scorer in Necas, not if they're looking to contend, they strike me as a team that'd sooner move futures or prospects than touch their main roster forwards

I'd switch Necas to Morrow and maybe a 2nd or 3rd 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Carolina doesn't have any goalies of value, that's why they would want Demko.  We could take one of the two they have this year to give Carolina more cap room, but they are both UFA's so it won't matter for next year.

There aren't any UFA's of interest this summer, so most likely the Canucks would need a young netminder to come back, which is a difficult deal to do.  Maybe in a separate transaction they could get someone.  If Detroit is interested in BO, then Sebastian Cossa might be a piece coming back...

they'd be taking back Andersen in that deal.

48 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Depends on what the return is and what management projects our timeline to be. I'm open to moving Demko but I don't think we're as close as others do. That timeline, and the actual results over he next few years, will impact whether they think he'll want to stick around too. 

He just turned 27 in December so he'll be 28 before next season is half over, are we four years out? Five? Sure, he'd provide stability in the meantime and top goaltenders tend to age better but who knows? Will we contend over the remainder of what's probably his prime? 

Could see a number of teams having interest. LA for one. 

Demko is getting older and fits Bo/Miller's age a bit better but still, you see older goalies peak later all the time. I know they're getting younger and younger but Demko has a good, what, 5-6 years as a starter left? That would tide us over nicely and buy us time to develop Silovos and draft another replacement for him as we don't really have anyone else in the pipeline.

Goaltending is one area I don't think we need to tweak too much. Martin and Delia have been dreadful this year, obviously, but they're essentially AHLers. Demko was terrible when he was playing but you could argue he was in between injuries and left out to dry with a weak defence.

Fix the defence and any goalie we chuck in there looks like a star. That's what we should be focussing on, not trading away the one good goalie we have left.

The quickest way out of a multi year tank is with stellar goaltending. Otherwise you could be mired in the basement for years. Given the organizational depth at goalie this franchise would have to draft a ton of goalies and hope one develops.

We've been basement dwellers long enough. I can stand a few years of it but I don't want to be the Sabres. Unless they fear he's damaged goods I'd keep Demko.

Edited by nuckin_futz

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Why Chatfield? 

I don't think Carolina's going to trade their leading scorer in Necas, not if they're looking to contend, they strike me as a team that'd sooner move futures or prospects than touch their main roster forwards

I'd switch Necas to Morrow and maybe a 2nd or 3rd 

Necas has one more year on his deal and is then going to get a huge raise.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I would suspect that maybe we can't get the deal we want by moving Horvat alone, so perhaps we are looking to flip Horvat for a package that includes a goalie. Then move Demko for a package that involves a center.

Yeah I agree.  Horvat to Detroit makes more sense now.  Maybe Sebastian Cossa is part of the package.  And then Demko is moved for a centre...

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

To Det:  Demko, BoHo, Rathbone

To Vancouver:  Cossa, Edvinsson, Hronek, Nedeljovick (cap dump), 2nd

Just spitballin'....

they don't really need a goalie, they've got Husso at a cap hit close to Demko.

• Upvote 1