The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Anderson in a UFA this summer, so that would be only for cap purposes for this year.  I'm talking about next year.  If we are moving Demko to Carolina then we need to get a young goalie back in a separate trade.

or UFA, where you can usually find a decent placeholder goalie.

I like Minnesota for Wallstedt, but doubt Minny parts with him

Just now, stawns said:

or UFA, where you can usually find a decent placeholder goalie.

I like Minnesota for Wallstedt, but doubt Minny parts with him

Wallstedt would be my first choice as well, but I don't think Minny trades him.  I like him better than Cossa.  I checked the UFA's for this summer, there is no one available other than a stop gap goalie...

18 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Demko is getting older and fits Bo/Miller's age a bit better but still, you see older goalies peak later all the time. I know they're getting younger and younger but Demko has a good, what, 5-6 years as a starter left? That would tide us over nicely and buy us time to develop Silovos and draft another replacement for him as we don't really have anyone else in the pipeline.

Goaltending is one area I don't think we need to tweak too much. Martin and Delia have been dreadful this year, obviously, but they're essentially AHLers. Demko was terrible when he was playing but you could argue he was in between injuries and left out to dry with a weak defence.

Fix the defence and any goalie we chuck in there looks like a star. That's what we should be focussing on, not trading away the one good goalie we have left.

Bo's almost certainly on his way out, I never liked the Miller deal in part because of his age. And sure, he'd provide stability in the meantime. But he also has to want to stay, which is no guarantee. And again, it depends on the offer. 

I think a stopgap would work just fine. 

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Necas has one more year on his deal and is then going to get a huge raise.

Teravainen will be a UFA the same offseason and walking away from that would probably cover it. Aho would also be a UFA but I think they could make it work, particularly if we've taken longer term cap off their books in Kotkaneimi. Burns expiring will take care of Slavin. Some of Staal's expiring 6M could take care of one or both of Skjei and Pesce. Pacioretty's 7M pays for most of Horvat, Demko only costs 500k more than Andersen.

Cap is also projected to rise from what I keep hearing, which will help.

I'd take a little juggling but I could see Carolina making it work. Gotta think they'll be looking to graduate some of their prospects too. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah, I forgot about him.  If he is any good then Carolina probably isn't interested in Demko unless he comes for cheap...

Yeah I can't see them interested in Demko, but as I mentioned, they might make a move for Horvat and we trade Demko elsewhere for a center replacement.

• Upvote 1

Laughing at some of the returns people are proposing. 

Goaltenders historically don’t get great returns. Goaltenders who have a below average season before getting season ending surgery get even lower returns.

Also just because teams are calling does not mean he’s being shopped. If he is, then management is probably aware of some unfavorable prognosis, in which case, trade away and hope the acquiring team has shoddy medical screening

Edited by arsenalian
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, I think Demko is young enough still to be good after a rebuild. I'd think this is probably a big mistake unless we get an unbelievable haul or another great young goalie in return.

Yup.  Demko is our most important player.  Crazy to trade him. 

29 minutes ago, tas said:

maybe unknown to you, but i remember 1998-2006 pretty clearly. 

it wasn't great. 

Maybe unknown wasn't the right word. But we have had stellar goaltending for a long time. Been a fan since 82 so I do remember those years. 

Edited by rekker

I remember listening to a podcast after last season, can’t remember the guys name, but he was very pushy with the idea that Demko should be moved immediately, and gave points on his health and how repeat knee injuries seemed inevitable with the trend that he saw.  I found this fascinating with Demko being our best player last season, and where we’re at with a seemingly injury prone and ugly season in his limited viewings..

Could Management themselves be coming to the same conclusion and attempt to sell high (as high as the market goes for goalies)? …Before the he comes back and possibly lowers that value with inconsistent and/or poor performance?  I can only imagine they would consider this move if they felt the wheels could come off for Demko or if someone were to overpay for what they consider a good gamble here.  I myself really like Demko but if there is any time to shop him, the time is now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1