The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

2 hours ago, Frank Caprice said:

The team has zero goaltending and virtually nothing coming down the pipes if this happens.

Neither Martin nor Delia are NHL goaltenders.  Silovs is still a long-shot / project.

Trading Demko makes no sense whatsoever unless there is a high end / can't miss goaltending prospect coming back as part of the deal.

Furthermore, who is lining up right now for guy with a 3-10-2 record with a 3.93 GAA and S% of 0.883.

Or he has hip issues that will unfortunately plague the rest of his career and maybe it is best to deal him now while he holds value. I really hope this isn’t the case, but I have a bad feeling his playing days at a high level are now somewhat limited. I really hope I’m wrong. His return could be another small windfall. Hopefully Silovs can take a huge step and make the roster as a backup sometime later next season. 

Is it at all possible that the Canucks are looking to trade Demko because he's another player that they messed up his medical handling with?

After past comments from Dickinson, Pearson's issues, Hughes comments, could be that they screwed up on Demko and now he wants out. 

Would fit in with the long line of embarrassments this management group has endured so far.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Frank Caprice said:

The team has zero goaltending and virtually nothing coming down the pipes if this happens.

Neither Martin nor Delia are NHL goaltenders.  Silovs is still a long-shot / project.

Trading Demko makes no sense whatsoever unless there is a high end / can't miss goaltending prospect coming back as part of the deal.

Furthermore, who is lining up right now for guy with a 3-10-2 record with a 3.93 GAA and S% of 0.883.

The plan all along was to send Marky to the Flames to mess up play off for them. And when they get tired of him loosing games for rhem he goes back here. B)

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Good wrinkle tbh, it's possible that he's had enough and has requested a trade 

my hackles were up from the beginning of the year. his performance didn't scream injury to me, it struck me as something between the ears. he seemed unhappy, too, to me. then bruce alluded to the fact that he was "going through some things" and now his mysterious injury is taking forever and nobody seems perturbed about it. 

this is speculation based on a memory that i can't even specifically place, but I think maybe his parents also got divorced recently? maybe he just wants to be closer to home. 

again, pure speculation on my part. 

edit: the only info I can find suggests his parents split up when he was younger, so I'm likely misremembering. 

Edited by tas

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Worst of all rumours. There is no way Dem is traded. Both our back ups aren’t even close to being a number one. A healthy Dem is top 5 in the NHL with an excellent Cap hit. The guy is like gold.

the team isn't particularly close to being a number 1 away from being competitive. having a good goalie when the team sucks just sticks you in the middle of the pack. 

• Cheers 3

40 minutes ago, BPA said:

NHLrumors has Demko linked to PIT.  Citing concerns with Jarry’s health.

Not sure how that works given Demko's health, however if they want to make a move, what about Demko for Jarry and Pickering?  Upgrade for Pitts (In theory) and we get a serviceable starter who is still fairly young and a strong D prospect.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Rutherford trades Demko to Pittsburgh for Kapanen and then immediately retires…

... then comes out of the retirement one year later to be hired by the Penguins as they win one last cup with Crosby and gang.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

the team isn't particularly close to being a number 1 away from being competitive. having a good goalie when the team sucks just sticks you in the middle of the pack. 

That’s all fine and dandy way to think but we have absolutely NOTHING coming down the pipe for goaltending. Dem is young and will still be in his prime when this team eventually turns the tide.

This would be for sure a blow it up move imo. Honestly, tell me who we have after Demko. Delia and Martin? Yikes. Silovs? An interesting name but projects more as a backup. If we draft a goalie, that's 4-5 years of waiting. Who are we signing in the offseason to replace Demko? Will make more than Demko and at best puts us in the same spot we are currently with Demko. Makes no sense to trade Demko only to sign a more expensive replacement that brings what he brings. Unless management think he's toast because of injuries and they wanna get value from someone that wants to gamble on him returning to form.

Fantastic player and all around seems like good guy.

Significant worries about his durability are absolutely fair. 
Also significantly concerned that what this teams needs to be is really bad, a healthy Demko drags them to the middle.  We may be able to scrape into  the playoffs once or twice over the length of Demko’s contract if everything goes right.  Currently it is looking more like that is not a great bet especially if we are about to trade one of 2 NHL centres with no plan to replace him. 
A haul for Demko may be a hard thing to turn down but we need a succession plan like someone IC identifies coming in another move.  Unless we are going full tank then all bets are off. Everything but EP available if the price is right (unfortunately I think this is the right plan).

Edited by DrJockitch

23 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

Is it at all possible that the Canucks are looking to trade Demko because he's another player that they messed up his medical handling with?

After past comments from Dickinson, Pearson's issues, Hughes comments, could be that they screwed up on Demko and now he wants out. 

Would fit in with the long line of embarrassments this management group has endured so far.

Maybe  the medical staff are the ones that should be on their way out. 

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This would be for sure a blow it up move imo. Honestly, tell me who we have after Demko. Delia and Martin? Yikes. Silovs? An interesting name but projects more as a backup. If we draft a goalie, that's 4-5 years of waiting. Who are we signing in the offseason to replace Demko? Will make more than Demko and at best puts us in the same spot we are currently with Demko. Makes no sense to trade Demko only to sign a more expensive replacement that brings what he brings. Unless management think he's toast because of injuries and they wanna get value from someone that wants to gamble on him returning to form.

It’s all garbage after Dem. We would need to sign a FA or trade for a goalie. 

I strongly believe Dem is untouchable. A team needs a top goalie out. QH next most valuable and then Petey.