The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Who knows.   Maybe it was the best offer on the table right now.    Waiting until the TDL also means more games won with Horvat in the lineup, better odds of getting a better pick this year.   As far a rentals go he got the standard.   Kane and Toews 50% retained also could be on the market. 

And O'Reilly, Larkin and who knows who else. 

• There it is 2

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Isn't that what everyone has been  clamouring for on here?  The Canucks could have been that team, but blew that chance by taking on AB's $4m and retaining on Horvat this year.  

We still have ~$3.5m of unused LTIR FWIW. Plus whatever we're able to chip away at with other moves.

Besides, cap this season isn't really what matters, it's cap allocation beyond this and next summer. This is why I'm still hopeful of a Miller move ::D

dear-tiny-jesus-ricky-bobby.gif

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

We will see how Beauvillier does with the change of scenery. The first and Raty are the prizes in the trade. Beauvillier is more a long shot or depth piece. Plus is has speed just questionable finish. Might work well with Petey and Kuz with Mikheyev out.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

expectation is already way too high and going to be tough for the kid to live up to.. he's a "great" player what's your definition of great? raty is a very good prospect and have a good chance to succeed in the nhl.. but really his ceiling is a 3c maybe borderline 2c. again it's nothing against raty.. i just think this trade is very underwhelming.. if the pick is maybe something like top 3 protected ie winning the lottery then i'd be more OK with especially for taking a cap dump

His ceiling is definitely 2C. And a better defensive one (though likely not as good offensively) than Horvat. Whether he make it there...who knows?  Maybe he's only a really good 3C when it all shakes out? We need one of those too though, so great.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

We will see how Beauvillier does with the change of scenery. The first and Raty are the prizes in the trade. Beauvillier is more a long shot or depth piece. Plus is has speed just questionable finish. Might work well with Petey and Kuz with Mikheyev out.  

I think they want to see how he will look next to miller not saying we won’t see him with petey but I think that’ll be what they want most 

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I doubt Boston would go for that. Miller having a down year doesn’t help.

Funny thing is he is on pace for 30 goals (2 less than last year) and 74 points (more than any other season he's had besides last). This isn't a down year for him, it's only down compared to one unsustainable season.

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, jyu said:

Because Beauvillier and his 4 mil cap dump is going to make it impossible for us to contend and win the cup next season.

No, but we keep on talking about buying out contracts in the summer to free up cap space to sign/trade for defensive upgrades. It is basically cap space at the highest cost. PA preaches...then we do things like this or the Boeser 3 year deal.

I hope AB does work out (as in is serviceable the next year), but that is just another 4.15m of cap space we did not have. I would rather have just kept Garland. In addition, using Dickinson as a gauge, AB's Dump should have at least netted us a 2024 2nd (2.65m vs. 4.15m).

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

I think they want to see how he will look next to miller not saying we won’t see him with petey but I think that’ll be what they want most 

Oh boy, I hope AB knows what to do when we are down one late in third and want to pull the goalie. Lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

No, but we keep on talking about buying out contracts in the summer to free up cap space to sign/trade for defensive upgrades. It is basically cap space at the highest cost. PA preaches...then we do things like this or the Boeser 3 year deal.

I hope AB does work out (as in is serviceable the next year), but that is just another 4.15m of cap space we did not have. I would rather have just kept Garland. In addition, using Dickinson as a gauge, AB's Dump should have at least netted us a 2024 2nd (2.65m vs. 4.15m).

AB can drive play through the neutral zone.  He's a much fast player than Garland.  Plus, he's a UFA June 2024.  The summer of 2024 is key.

• Upvote 1

I can see Bo underperforming for the Islanders down the stretch, the Islanders missing the playoffs and Lou losing his job, and then DET signing him as a free agent in the off season.

Yzerman didn't flinch, not giving up any prospects or picks to acquire Horvat, but he'll get his man. 

I'm quite happy getting Raty and the extra 1st. A good start for the future team. The Canucks will have a bit of cap space to play with, so they aren't done by a long shot. Exciting times.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Or Bo could get injured in the next couple weeks and then what do the Islanders do?  

Its simple

1) you make damn sure you get him signed so he doesnt walk for nothing

or

2) you find a contender that will make a trade for him. Chances are any injury he would sustain is healed up by the time playoffs come around. Who wouldnt want to add Horvat right as the playoffs are beginning? 

The most highly likely scenario in all of this is that the Isles miss the playoffs. There is a very good chance of that. They have some very tough games ahead and less games in hand. Not only that but they have 3 against PIT is 2pts ahead and has games in hand. 3 against WSH who are also 3 points ahead of them and BUF who is 1pt ahead with 3 games in hand, they cant really afford to lose a single game. They have games against VGK, BOS, SEA, 2 against TBL and WPG, LAK

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

he's probably not going to get to say goodbye to his team, as a team.......that includes training staff etc.  Par for the course for this management group though.

He might have to wait 9 days... the horror!!!

Screenshot_20230131_080112_Chrome.jpg

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can see Bo underperforming for the Islanders down the stretch, the Islanders missing the playoffs and Lou losing his job, and then DET signing him as a free agent in the off season.

Yzerman didn't flinch, not giving up any prospects or picks to acquire Horvat, but he'll get his man. 

I'm quite happy getting Raty and the extra 1st. A good start for the future team. The Canucks will have a bit of cap space to play with, so they aren't done by a long shot. Exciting times.

Or Lou sings Bo to a huge contract and then all that happens. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

And in your predicted scenario we get the Islanders' unprotected 2024 first.  And (IMHAO) that's going to be top five. 

image.jpeg.b34dbf26bd967a2e790b37c8138cff71.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I get the protection.........then don't take back a cap dump winger and don't retain and relinquish your ability to use cap space at the tdl, draft etc.

When you dig into this trade, Lou really pulled one over on PA, imo.

We still have mikayevs 4.5 mil. 

25 minutes ago, tas said:

...my point being, the return they received is no worse than what they would have got from a team that spoke to his agent and knew he was too expensive. but they didn't explore that avenue. 

I disagree. I believe the return also includes some level of confidence from NYIs that they can resign Bo. 

If Bo flat out said he wouldn't resign in NY I doubt we get Raty. 

Really all things considered you can pick apart all the different ways this trade missed the mark, but we don't really know the details and what was ever offered under what conditions. So purely speculation.

Just looking at the trade itself for what it is, I feel it's a good return.

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Its simple

1) you make damn sure you get him signed so he doesnt walk for nothing

or

2) you find a contender that will make a trade for him. Chances are any injury he would sustain is healed up by the time playoffs come around. Who wouldnt want to add Horvat right as the playoffs are beginning? 

The most highly likely scenario in all of this is that the Isles miss the playoffs. There is a very good chance of that. They have some very tough games ahead and less games in hand. Not only that but they have 3 against PIT is 2pts ahead and has games in hand. 3 against WSH who are also 3 points ahead of them and BUF who is 1pt ahead with 3 games in hand, they cant really afford to lose a single game. They have games against VGK, BOS, SEA, 2 against TBL and WPG, LAK

We got a very good return right now for Bo.  If Lou trades Bo at the TDL, because their team falls even further out of the playoffs, it gets even better.  That pick goes to next season and the Islanders will be even worse.  Say hello to a top five 2024 pick.  Thanks Lou!!! :frantic:

• Cheers 1