The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

12 minutes ago, J-23 said:

So Isles can waive the protected pick. Good. Looks like they want to play it safe in case they are in the Bedard odds, as you can jump up 10 spots in the draft.

So if they draft 10th they might waive, over concern of there unprotected 2024 pick.

Wonder how much notice they have to give on whether they’re waiving.

Like I’m assuming they can’t wait to see who’s there at 10 and then pass it to the Canucks? :lol:

• Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

33 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm a little confused I see this kind of thing posted once in awhile. Why do people think the Isles are going be bottom 5 next year?

It's like when Colorado gained all of them assets in a trade for Duchene, and 

with all of their powerhouse picks, including McKinnon, they had a down year 

and didn't recover until last year. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wonder how much notice they have to give on whether they’re waiving.

Like I’m assuming they can’t wait to see who’s there at 10 and then pass it to the Canucks? :lol:

It was speculation but listening to Friedman it sounds like there is some minor concern there of that 2024 pick being unprotected.

Sounds like they just want to make sure they don’t jump up 10 or 11 spots for Bedard (Don’t know if the new rules is 10 or 11) in the draft that’s all. So two top 12 picks this year is still a real potential.

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

It was speculation but listening to Friedman it sounds like there is some minor concern there of that 2024 pick being unprotected.

Sounds like they just want to make sure they don’t jump up 10 or 11 spots for Bedard (Don’t know if the new rules is 10 or 11) in the draft that’s all. So two top 12 picks this year is still a real potential.

Sorry I don't understand. I thought protection was for top 12 is it not? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I don’t think that’s possible.  If the Islanders draft top 12 in 2023 they keep their pick, and w3 get their 2024 first - unprotected. 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes, but they can waive that apparently. They can still give us the the pick this year regardless of where it is. Obviously they wouldn’t waive a protected pick in the top 10. But if it ends up being an 11 or 12 pick it can come our way if the Isles want to. And if they’re concerned about that 2024 pick being unprotected.

New draft odds where teams can jump up 10 spots has teams concerned? I don’t know.

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

They are saying we might get a better pick than the protected 12. Islanders just didn’t want to give us a lottery win and have to take in consideration that next year could yield a better draft pick for us. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

They are saying we might get a better pick than the protected 12. Islanders just didn’t want to give us a lottery win and have to take in consideration that next year could yield a better draft pick for us. 

In a crazy talented deep draft, I cant see them not keeping top 12

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Hopefully Isles finish 10-13th last, put them in a tough spot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

But what if by years end they realize their team will suck more next year and Bo was not their answer? Guys on 650 saying Islanders trending downwards and getting older. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Imagine picking 6th and 13th. Very realistic and would do WONDERS for our pool. Add in maybe some more 2nds via other trades.. Hell we could look at our 2nd like a late first as a "wise" man once said. This is the moment I've dreamed of as we are FINALLY at least to an extent focusing YOUTH AND FUTURE:towel:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

But what if by years end they realize their team will suck more next year and Bo was not their answer? Guys on 650 saying Islanders trending downwards and getting older. 

East will also be just as strong next year. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Here’s a report on Raty from a piece last year on NYI top prospects. The ‘ready to learn’ and ‘student of the game’ attributes are very promising.

Love that we’re starting him in the A. Imagine what he can learn from Henrik as he develops chemistry with Hoglander and Podkolzin, building confidence without pressure / media spotlight…

Aatu Räty
Aatu Räty leads the prospect pool. The second-round pick from 2021 had a wildly impressive season in Finland. The young center finished in the top 20 for scoring in the Finnish league and lead the line offensively for Jukurit who finished second in the regular season. 

He's already made his debut in the AHL. He's played two games and showed us some of his high-end skills already. He's still got things to learn but this kid is an absolute student of the game. His Jukurit coach, former Islanders player Olli Jokinen, spoke specifically about how Räty always came to the rink ready to learn.

Räty may have fallen far at the 2021 draft, but he was once considered a possible no.1 pick for a reason. He's got a ton of talent. And at 19-years-old he's already ready to play a North American game. The 2022 season could very well show us he's much closer to the NHL than we think.

Kenny ,   I may have mentioned this before ,  but I think he will become our best Centerman at that position.  I think he will become better at it than Bo was ,  in a shorter period of time.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Imagine picking 6th and 13th. Very realistic and would do WONDERS for our pool. Add in maybe some more 2nds via other trades.. Hell we could look at our 2nd like a late first as a "wise" man once said. This is the moment I've dreamed of as we are FINALLY at least to an extent focusing YOUTH AND FUTURE:towel:

Yes if I'm not mistaken, we got our franchise goalie with an early second. 

Just now, SilentSam said:

Kenny ,   I may have mentioned this before ,  but I think he will become our best Centerman at that position.  I think he will become better at it than Bo was ,  in a shorter period of time.

I like the bold take my friend

• Cheers 1