The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aatu Räty | #27 | C

DSVII

21 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Are Raty and Karlsson on a collision course. I know competition is a motivator but inevitable there are winners and losers. Both similar size both listed as centres. Karlsson is 0.7 P/G while Raty is 0.5 P/G Raty is 19 and Karlsson 22. ??

Raty is 3 years younger and a more natural, two way centre. Karlsson seems to be a bit more offensively minded - I could see him moving to wing as well. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/4/2023 at 11:21 AM, Fred65 said:

Are Raty and Karlsson on a collision course. I know competition is a motivator but inevitable there are winners and losers. Both similar size both listed as centres. Karlsson is 0.7 P/G while Raty is 0.5 P/G Raty is 19 and Karlsson 22. ??

I don't think so.  Karlsson seems to be used more as a RW; just like he was in the Swedish league, which means he will have more competition making the big club.  I like Karlsson, he plays a scrappier game than I thought and is putting up good offensive #s in the AHL.  He might even end up on Raty's RW on the 3rd line one day.

I think Raty is developing into a complete player, who will be groomed into being a top notch NHL 3C.  He

has all the attributes and the only things holding him back is his foot speed and confidence; which are both

being addressed in Abby. He is also considered to be an athletic and strong player, who doesn't give up.

Given the 3yr gap between these 2 players, I would bet on Raty's NHL career over Karlsson's.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Cheers 3

13 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think so.  Karlsson seems to be used more as a RW; just like he was in the Swedish league, which means he will have more competition making the big club.  I like Karlsson, he plays a scrappier game than I thought and is putting up good offensive #s in the NHL.  He might even end up on Raty's RW on the 3rd line one day.

I think Raty is developing into a complete player, who will be groomed into being a top notch NHL 3C.  He

has all the attributes and the only things holding him back is his foot speed and confidence; which are both

being addressed in Abby. He is also considered to be an athletic and strong player, who doesn't give up.

Given the 3yr gap between these 2 players, I would bet on Raty's NHL career over Karlsson's.

Future #2 centre -plays 20 games next season as #3 centre for Vancouver...Only 20 yrs old plying AHL - 6'2 - 190 lbs

On 4/5/2023 at 8:31 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Raty is 3 years younger and a more natural, two way centre. Karlsson seems to be a bit more offensively minded - I could see him moving to wing as well. 

Karlsson spent most of his time on the wing in Sweden, Abby was desperate for centres when the season opened, so maybe that explains that. Either way, for a fourth line guy, flexibility regarding position and a role is very desirable if you are looking toward the NHL.

On 4/5/2023 at 8:31 AM, canucklehead44 said:

I think Karlsson's position is "F" in that he can play any forward position. He's also played PP and PK. Raty is more of a pure two-way C.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Heard he was “maybe battling something.” Not sure if it was an injury or illness.

I'd put my money on just going with veterans over him.  

As much as the AHL is a developmental league, it's time to win at all cost and every team is leaning on their 28-30 year old veterans. 

35 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

As much as the AHL is a developmental league, it's time to win at all cost and every team is leaning on their 28-30 year old veterans. 

Yeah, there’s a lot of big bodied vets, and the series has been very physical

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You are 100% wrong  Raty is not even at practice from management grounp interview on 650 ..Raty would be # 2 C and they need his skill..

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

You are 100% wrong  Raty is not even at practice from management grounp interview on 650 ..Raty would be # 2 C and they need his skill..

Chris Faber, follows prospects and Abbotsford listen to one of his interviews management is keeping Raty illness quiet.. No practicing ??

• There it is 1

25 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Chris Faber, follows prospects and Abbotsford listen to one of his interviews management is keeping Raty illness quiet.. No practicing ??

He's been wrong many times, but I didn't know that Raty hasnt been practicing. In that case it's probably an injury or illness then. 

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I think this is the right call. Jeremy Colliton was asked about Raty and said "he might be battling something", which is the quote noted in other comments.

Colliton is a straight shooter and I don't think he would deliberately mislead the media. An AHL team like Abby is happy to get any media coverage they can and the coach would not screw around with the media.

The quote makes it sound like illness rather than injury but it could be either. Or maybe there is some personal problem.

Also, Raty has been good. There is absolutely no reason to leave him off the roster in favour of "vets" if he is 100%.

I hope he is okay for Friday's game. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 5 weeks later...