The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anthony Beauvillier | #72 | LW

-AJ-

On 1/30/2023 at 5:39 PM, Phil_314 said:

New Jannik Hansen?  Lol pretty good speed but hands are pretty bad.

Well with bad hands as you say, he's doing pretty well finding the back of the net for us so far.. I think it took YH a lot more time to get there than Beauv, when YH was in the same boat, he got caught out of position so many times it made me want to rip my hair out! 

Of course he got better at it but seems to me Beauv has better hands albeit not by a lot but the smallest amount can mean a lot more goals

Edited by iceman64
  • RoughGame 1

11 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Well with bad hands as you say, he's doing pretty well finding the back of the net for us so far.. I think it took YH a lot more time to get there than Beauv, when YH was in the same boat, he got caught out of position so many times it made me want to rip my hair out! 

Of course he got better at it but seems to me Beauv has better hands albeit not by a lot but the smallest amount can mean a lot more goals

Way to pull up receipts when I was referring to his play as an Islander and the post you're referring to is when he was sold low (9 goals in 49 games with NY doesn't scream "good hands", unless you wish to argue otherwise).  AB was also a late 1st round pick so the perceived upside was always there, but I think with the increased level of skill here (they were having trouble scoring in Long Island as a whole) he can really break out and make his contract look worthwhile (as he's already begun to demonstrate).

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Way to pull up receipts when I was referring to his play as an Islander and the post you're referring to is when he was sold low (9 goals in 49 games with NY doesn't scream "good hands", unless you wish to argue otherwise).  AB was also a late 1st round pick so the perceived upside was always there, but I think with the increased level of skill here (they were having trouble scoring in Long Island as a whole) he can really break out and make his contract look worthwhile (as he's already begun to demonstrate).

Well whatever but all we can do is hope he keeps it up especially playing with someone other than Petey on another line or something.. I'd just like "something" to go right for a change instead of being so bleak..

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well whatever but all we can do is hope he keeps it up especially playing with someone other than Petey on another line or something.. I'd just like "something" to go right for a change instead of being so bleak..

With Mikheyev already out for the season I hope he can really gel with Kuzmenko and Petey.  Then wherever Mikheyev lands, hopefully he and the #2 C (Miller or someone else if JT gets traded) can gel too and become a good unit, since 96-40-72 has worked well so far. 

6 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

With Mikheyev already out for the season I hope he can really gel with Kuzmenko and Petey.  Then wherever Mikheyev lands, hopefully he and the #2 C (Miller or someone else if JT gets traded) can gel too and become a good unit, since 96-40-72 has worked well so far. 

You know what Phil, I don't know wtf happened but I can't remember who we played shortly after Bruce arrived, we played almost as if we were in the run we went on last season when we played quick simple passes to forwards who were back and making themselves open, we forechecked well and with decent speed and causes turnovers we capitalized on, we hit when we needed to, attacked during PK's and pressured well instead of standing around looking stupid and get getting scored on lots. 

And on the PP we scored and the whole team was as in sync as I've seen since 2011 and 94 and it was encouraging to say the least and I thought to myself, omfg, with a cpl of tweaks and develop some depth we could be a top 10 team!!!

I was cautiously stoked for once.. and then it happened, the wheels fell off, and it was like we played like we played under Travis when he lost the room by a few reasons and not keeping it simple with new guys and depth guys coming in, which I think Bruce really brought out in us but yeah losing Demko and Mik and a slew of D injuries at the start of the season surely didn't help our cause either maybe it was a host of reasons but ever since, the forwards aren't getting back and usually over commit the wrong way and not being a easy simple pass target, our whole team hesitating instead of easy quick passes and trying to force it, not really any pressure on the PK and still trying to be fancy instead of sending a net presence for a screen and pass it back to D for a screen shot. I guess the whole team is playing just playing bad positionally with bad decisions/taking to long with passes is killing us, and leading to penalties as well.. 

Idk wtf is going on but we need to go back to "simple" 

We've had a constant turnstile of players in and out since 2012 which had to happen but that's when simplicity does it's best work and it's never been that way consistently for whatever reason but there's been flashes of it yeah, but I can't get why it's not become our go-to game until we have a roster set and depth and then I think it can be a little bit more wide open with a bit of Sedinery mixed in more but it's a mistake in my opinion to keep trying anything but, because when we do keep it simple, we play almost as good as anyone and we've beaten some of the leagues best when we play hard and keep it simple but idk what happened, I really don't. 

When I think about it, I think all Bruce had to do was exactly that, simple, keep it nothing but simple and keep it that way... until that actually happens, I'm not sure any coach can do much with this team if that keeps up.

Edited by iceman64

14 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

We need to flip beauvillier and move on......Petey has made him look all world and someone must believe he is better then he was on the Islanders now   

What could we get for him though? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 12:02 AM, Alflives said:

What could we get for him though? 

A first rounder at the draft? I'd leap all over a mid to late round first and draft a defenceman. If we somehow nab Reinbacher or Simashev with the pick we're laughing...

Suddenly the trade becomes Bo Horvat + 2nd for Hronek + Raty + Reinbacher

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

No one wants to talk about the 1 assist he's got in his last 6 games though...

As soon as he gets bumped from Petey's line, he struggles, no surprise there. We've got to take off our rose-tinted glasses and realise that he's not that good, he very much is a middle-6 fast winger who comes back down to Earth without a gifted superstar feeding him offence. 

Next year that spot is reserved for Mikheyev and Kuzmenko so where does Beauvillier fit? I'd like to see him with Miller, but right now Boeser is out-performing him, and Tocchet seems to like a grinder like PDG on his wing (and rightly so - he's got pretty good chemistry with Miller for some reason).

That leaves Beauvillier on the 3rd line. Right now we have no decent center so Dries is the 3C and the other winger is Garland. That's basically a trio of castaways who don't fit anywhere. Bueavillier looked so good against Chicago at times with Petey again, but when he's on his own he is pretty meh.

People don't like to read or hear this but we've got to realise what he is. 

Right now we've got a battle on wing and I think these last few games will be a match to see who has a job next year. I was all for trading Boeser but he has IMO been one of our best forwards of late and (for once in his career) driving the play offensively and making his linemates and PP better with some very nifty passing and hockey IQ. Garland is really slowing down, we all thought Tocchet would help his career but it hasn't done anything yet, and he's had his chance with Petey and Miller at brief times, but just isn't showing enough offence. Then there's Beauvillier who sadly I think is going the same route as Garland. 

Boeser at 6.6M, Garland at 5M and Beauvillier at 4M. We need cap space and can't keep all 3.

My preference right now would be to flip Garland but we may have to add a pick to get rid of him. Boeser is too good right now but may be tradeable for a decent asset (eg. do Pittsburgh entertain Marcus Pettersson for Boeser again? I'd jump on that). However, if a team comes sniffing for Beauvillier we should jump all over it if they'll give up something good, even a pick. Beauvillier for a high 2nd, then we sign Graves or Gavrikov with the extra cap space and draft Bonk/Strbak/Dragicevic? I'd do that.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As soon as he gets bumped from Petey's line, he struggles, no surprise there. We've got to take off our rose-tinted glasses and realise that he's not that good, he very much is a middle-6 fast winger who comes back down to Earth without a gifted superstar feeding him offence. 

Next year that spot is reserved for Mikheyev and Kuzmenko so where does Beauvillier fit? I'd like to see him with Miller, but right now Boeser is out-performing him, and Tocchet seems to like a grinder like PDG on his wing (and rightly so - he's got pretty good chemistry with Miller for some reason).

That leaves Beauvillier on the 3rd line. Right now we have no decent center so Dries is the 3C and the other winger is Garland. That's basically a trio of castaways who don't fit anywhere. Bueavillier looked so good against Chicago at times with Petey again, but when he's on his own he is pretty meh.

Right now we've got a battle on wing and I think these last few games will be a match to see who has a job next year. I was all for trading Boeser but he has IMO been one of our best forwards of late and (for once in his career) driving the play offensively and making his linemates and PP better with some very nifty passing and hockey IQ. Garland is really slowing down, we all thought Tocchet would help his career but it hasn't done anything yet, and he's had his chance with Petey and Miller at brief times, but just isn't showing enough offence. Then there's Beauvillier who sadly I think is going the same route as Garland. 

Boeser at 6.6M, Garland at 5M and Beauvillier at 4M. We need cap space and can't keep all 3.

My preference right now would be to flip Garland but we may have to add a pick to get rid of him. Boeser is too good right now but may be tradeable for a decent asset (eg. do Pittsburgh entertain Marcus Pettersson for Boeser again? I'd jump on that). However, if a team comes sniffing for Beauvillier we should jump all over it if they'll give up something good, even a pick. Beauvillier for a high 2nd, then we sign Graves or Gavrikov with the extra cap space and draft Bonk/Strbak/Dragicevic? I'd do that.

Beauvillier is definitely a streaky player and has clearly cooled off. The early chemistry with Petey and Kuzmenko was exciting as it gives the Canucks more options going forward. For example, next year we can could pair Mikheyev with Miller instead to create more of a match-up second line and leave Beauvillier with Petey. However, like you said we really need to shed at least one of Beauvillier, Garland, and Boeser.

My hope right now is that Pittsburgh barely squeaks into the playoffs and get bounced in part due to lack of depth scoring (Granlund has struggled so far post trade). If they do, they might get desperate and start shopping around their 1st round pick at the draft to try and give Crosby, Malkin, and Letang one last good run. I view Garland and Beauvillier as similarly streaky player so like you my preference would be to move Garland since he makes more. But ultimately we should move whichever player gives us the best return. If we can somehow puck up Pittsburgh's 1st for one our our excess scoring wingers it would be a huge hull. Personally I'd rather throw in one of our B-tier prospects (e.g. Rathbone/Woo) instead of retain salary to make it happen.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Guys who drive a line or carry a D pairing are the ones who get the core piece contracts. New Beau is paid like a support player. He's okay for playing that role. He can compliment top six play drivers or check in our bottom six. It's why we traded old Bo. He wanted to be paid like a play driving core piece, but he's more a complimentary player. We need to buyout OEL and Garland. That clears 12 mil for next season and ends the Benning pain. 

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

That leaves Beauvillier on the 3rd line.

What? 

Says who? That seems like a lot of heavy assumption.

That said, the way Petey said "Kuz is always open" in the video made me raise my eyebrows - probably reading too much into body language, but felt like maybe Petey had enough of him coaching Kuzmenko.

Or maybe the mic just makes guys feel like they've got to be talking non-stop.

36 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

What? 

Says who? That seems like a lot of heavy assumption.

That said, the way Petey said "Kuz is always open" in the video made me raise my eyebrows - probably reading too much into body language, but felt like maybe Petey had enough of him coaching Kuzmenko.

Or maybe the mic just makes guys feel like they've got to be talking non-stop.

That seemed like a shot a Kuzmenko's lack of back checking