The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] Fix the Defense via Free Agency in Off Season

I can't see us getting any significant young Dmen via trade, so we will have to draft some Dmen, who will join the team in 2-4 years time.

Until then, I propose the following moves to fix the defense corps, add a decent penalty killer, and give us a chance to reach the playoffs...

Move 1: Trade Garland to anywhere for a pick

Move 2: Buy out OEL

Move 3: Sign RFA Hoglander for $1.5m x 2 years

Move 4:

Sign the following UFAs in the off season:

Gavrikov = $5m x 5 years

Mayfield = $3.5m x 4 years

Schenn = $1.25m x 3 years

Acciari = $1.25m x 3 years

DeHaan = $1.25m x 2 years

Edler = $775k x 1 year (retires as a Canuck)

Burroughs = $775k x 2 years

Roster next season with about $7.5m in cap space:

image.thumb.png.e71c4ad798d439c52fa6e91448681ce7.png

image.thumb.png.822d5638f81176bc2ee0a1e56ace5ff6.png

Might help if we had forwards that could excel defensively.  Not that Horvat was going to win any Selke's but his defensive assignments will have to be replaced (so we're even weaker now in that department after the trade).  Else it places an burden on the defense (which is hardly deep).

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You posted a roster that still has Boeser and Myers on it, bold move 

Haha yeah I can't see us being able to trade those guys, and there's no way I would give up sweeteners to do so.

Also feel Boeser will bounce back from this season

• There it is 1

13 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Might help if we had forwards that could excel defensively.  Not that Horvat was going to win any Selke's but his defensive assignments will have to be replaced (so we're even weaker now in that department after the trade).  Else it places an burden on the defense (which is hardly deep).

In the roster I suggested, Miller and Lazar would take on the tough matchup roles.

Miller has actually been very similar or slightly better than Horvat in the defense dept this season...see the chart below showing Miller (and Lazar) both taking on a higher quality of competition than Horvat, and having fewer oZ starts.

Please note that this is not Horvat bashing! However, at even strength, when on the ice Miller has let in 41 goals against in 738 mins. By comparison, when on the ice Horvat has let in 43 goals in 742 mins.

image.png.e4a67dc4089a1c7c127b7f2b9a02e202.png

• Thanks 1

I think Gavrikov is gonna get PAID, maybe even in the 6M region by some silly team. 27, big strong LD playing massive minutes, not putting up much offence but he's somehow only a -7 or something on the worst team in the league. With NJD so stacked and Luke Hughes surely entering the league next year, I think Graves will be on the market and I'd take him at say 5M x 5-6 years. I think Gavrikov will cost 6M surely. NYI would be stupid to let Mayfield go, he is a bit older but a big strong veteran RD could be had for around 4M, hopefully we could snag him at 3 years. Severson's quite interesting and someone CDC have monitored for years, he's been very sloppy defensively but still playing big minutes in NJD for some reason. You'd think he'd fallen off their depth chart with Hamilton exploding and again they've got a succession plan in order to replace him, but he's still up at 25+ minutes a night. Currenly on a 4.1M cap hit, I wonder if we could snag him at a similar rate? Mayfield would provide more defensive stability though.

We desperately need this free agency to re-shape our defence as management aren't doing it via trades.

Either combo of a solid defensive D-man + two-way guy works for me.

Graves/Gavrikov + Severson/Mayfield

Expect to spend around 9-10M on that duo though.

I think we'd have to look at trading Boeser (could do it straight up right now for Severson, or more interestingly, trade him to Dumba and then don't re-sign Dumba in the off-season but go after these guys) but an OEL buyout or Myers trade with retained cap has to be on the cards. If we can trade Myers to some fool like Toronto with 2M retained I'd rather do that than an OEL buyout. Here's what I'd try to re-shape this D:

1) Myers (50% retained) + Schenn + 2nd to Toronto for Kampf + Simmonds (cap dump) + 1st round pick

- Toronto do this because they want defensive help and Myers at 3M is a bargain. Schenn is well wanted. Myers alone is worth a 2nd, Schenn is worth a 2nd, the two Toronto forwards are basically cap dumps plus we get a 3rd line center in Kampf. The difference between our 2nd and their 1st is only going to be about 10 places. This also allows Raty to cook a bit longer.

2) Trade Boeser to Minnesota for Dumba

- Minny get their guy to help their offence, we get a serviceable Dumba for the rest of the season to replace Myer's minutes as a bit of a project which Allvin loves. If he plays well we can re-sign him but I doubt it, he'll most likely be walking into UFA.

3) Sign Graves 5x5M

4) Sign Severson or Mayfield to a 4-5M deal.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Garland - Miller - Podkolzin

Beauvilier - Kampf - Hoglander

Joshua - Lazar - Studnicka

Hughes - Mayfield

Graves - Bear

OEL - Dermott

That lineup has a cap hit of 69M (plus say 6M for the goalies and 3M for the dead cap, a few mil here or there for the extra forwards/D) should fit nicely. I have no problems playing OEL as our 5th guy if it means we shift Myers and get two solid top-4 defencemen.

Not going to greatly disagree with you other than, Hoglander is not 1.5 million per, he has little negotiating leverage. My guess is he signs a 1 year, SHOW ME, bridge deal on 1 way for about 750k - 800k. They want to see him level up his game. He should be a point per game in Abbotsford, and he's not. He needs to crank up his intensity while maintaining his defensive awareness.

12 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

In the roster I suggested, Miller and Lazar would take on the tough matchup roles.

Miller has actually been very similar or slightly better than Horvat in the defense dept this season...see the chart below showing Miller (and Lazar) both taking on a higher quality of competition than Horvat, and having fewer oZ starts.

Please note that this is not Horvat bashing! However, at even strength, when on the ice Miller has let in 41 goals against in 738 mins. By comparison, when on the ice Horvat has let in 43 goals in 742 mins.

image.png.e4a67dc4089a1c7c127b7f2b9a02e202.png

Miller back-checking?  I remain skeptical.

9 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Buying out OEL would be so bad. 8 years and no less than 2 mil against the cap in any season of his buyout. That’s a lot. I’m hoping Tocchet can bring back the good side of OEL from his good Arizona years. 

I do like Gavrikov a lot. Would love him in Vancouver. 

I personally think that this is what will exactly happen with OEL. BB played OEL second fiddle to Hughes way overplaying him compared to OEL. 

Tocchet has got them on an even keel  and I see this improving OEL's game. He is giving OEL the respect he deserves as a veteran NHLer. 

I mentioned before that OEL played exceptional when Hughes went down to injury and really made the PP look very dynamic. He looked really good when he first came from Arizona as well.

I really think Hughes can learn a thing or two from OEL and I am glad to see the favoritism that existed on this team is finally over. Green and Willy D had their favorites too and it drove me crazy.

I really think Tocchet knows exactly how to get the Culture back on track and this is just another example of how he is doing that. 

Hopefully he will get these guys playing like a real Team sometime in the very near future. GCG!

29 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Oh he the ability/skill clearly.  I question though whether he wants to (on a consistant basis) when things aren't going his way. In some ways, he's somewhat like Todd Bertuzzi.

Oh I actually forgot ol' Bert used to be the same way. Same demeanor. I think its a maturing issue and Nazzy was too soft spoken to say anything to him it seems as well.

I am hoping Tocchet can get him to the next level because i truly think he reacts because he is so passionate about winning and losing. The exact kind of guy needed on the team if dealt with properly.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not going to greatly disagree with you other than, Hoglander is not 1.5 million per, he has little negotiating leverage. My guess is he signs a 1 year, SHOW ME, bridge deal on 1 way for about 750k - 800k. They want to see him level up his game. He should be a point per game in Abbotsford, and he's not. He needs to crank up his intensity while maintaining his defensive awareness.

Yes I think you are right. Either way, makes little difference to the proposed lineup. Cheers 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Gavrikov is gonna get PAID, maybe even in the 6M region by some silly team. 27, big strong LD playing massive minutes, not putting up much offence but he's somehow only a -7 or something on the worst team in the league. With NJD so stacked and Luke Hughes surely entering the league next year, I think Graves will be on the market and I'd take him at say 5M x 5-6 years. I think Gavrikov will cost 6M surely. NYI would be stupid to let Mayfield go, he is a bit older but a big strong veteran RD could be had for around 4M, hopefully we could snag him at 3 years. Severson's quite interesting and someone CDC have monitored for years, he's been very sloppy defensively but still playing big minutes in NJD for some reason. You'd think he'd fallen off their depth chart with Hamilton exploding and again they've got a succession plan in order to replace him, but he's still up at 25+ minutes a night. Currenly on a 4.1M cap hit, I wonder if we could snag him at a similar rate? Mayfield would provide more defensive stability though.

We desperately need this free agency to re-shape our defence as management aren't doing it via trades.

Either combo of a solid defensive D-man + two-way guy works for me.

Graves/Gavrikov + Severson/Mayfield

Expect to spend around 9-10M on that duo though.

I think we'd have to look at trading Boeser (could do it straight up right now for Severson, or more interestingly, trade him to Dumba and then don't re-sign Dumba in the off-season but go after these guys) but an OEL buyout or Myers trade with retained cap has to be on the cards. If we can trade Myers to some fool like Toronto with 2M retained I'd rather do that than an OEL buyout. Here's what I'd try to re-shape this D:

1) Myers (50% retained) + Schenn + 2nd to Toronto for Kampf + Simmonds (cap dump) + 1st round pick

- Toronto do this because they want defensive help and Myers at 3M is a bargain. Schenn is well wanted. Myers alone is worth a 2nd, Schenn is worth a 2nd, the two Toronto forwards are basically cap dumps plus we get a 3rd line center in Kampf. The difference between our 2nd and their 1st is only going to be about 10 places. This also allows Raty to cook a bit longer.

2) Trade Boeser to Minnesota for Dumba

- Minny get their guy to help their offence, we get a serviceable Dumba for the rest of the season to replace Myer's minutes as a bit of a project which Allvin loves. If he plays well we can re-sign him but I doubt it, he'll most likely be walking into UFA.

3) Sign Graves 5x5M

4) Sign Severson or Mayfield to a 4-5M deal.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Garland - Miller - Podkolzin

Beauvilier - Kampf - Hoglander

Joshua - Lazar - Studnicka

Hughes - Mayfield

Graves - Bear

OEL - Dermott

That lineup has a cap hit of 69M (plus say 6M for the goalies and 3M for the dead cap, a few mil here or there for the extra forwards/D) should fit nicely. I have no problems playing OEL as our 5th guy if it means we shift Myers and get two solid top-4 defencemen.

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree Graves is another decent LD target in free agency. I don't like Severson because from what I have seen he is like another Myers. Tries to get in on the offense too much, gets out of position, and also has a few bad defensive gaffes pretty much every game I've watched. He's good most of the time, but then let's himself down with some stupid decisions. I also feel like Severson is going to be looking for ~$6m, which I really don't want to pay (it would feel like resigning Myers!).

Regarding Boeser to NJD or Minny. This is just not going to happen. NJD will keep Severson over Boeser for their place off run. Severson is a more critical piece for them and they have much better forwards than BB6, so no need to make that trade. Also Minny are not interested in BB6 as a player (on record as saying this) and now they have signed Boldy to $7m, they 100% cannot afford Boeser next season (only $9m in cap space with 14 players signed). If we wanted to simply clear Boeser's cap space, then he could be waived and someone will likely pick him up. But I feel like that is a waste of an asset. I have a feeling Boeser will bounce back.

Hope we don't trade Schenn to TOR!

17 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Another approach could be to sign a veteran C short term that can handle matchups, such as Freddie Gaudreau

• Cheers 1