The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Which Horvat Deal Would you do?

Hi y’all. 

So, the rumour mill was abuzz for the months leading up to yesterday’s trade. There’s been a lot going on in terms of insider reports, etc, so I’m curious what deal people would’ve taken if they were in charge. Keep in mind these are just the frameworks, I don’t think they’re the exact deals that could’ve been in place.

Deal 1: 

Bo retained for Beau, Raty, First

The deal. We’ve heard your thoughts already, but was it truly the best available?

Deal 2: 

Bo retained to Boston for Carlo, first, Smith 

This is the likeliest deal from the bruins, although it was never revealed to be an offer. I would’ve loved Lysell, but doubt we’d get him. Carlo has concussion history too, but is much more established than Raty and Beau. 

Deal 3: 

Bo to Canes for Morrow, Kotkaniemi, mid pick 

This is, imo, the most likely deal from the Canes (with tiny pieces added to both sides to make the cap work). Apparently they were only interested if they could talk extension first, but ended up backing off. 

Deal 4: 

Bo retained to Butt Kraken for Shane Wright

This was the rumoured deal from a noted Seattle insider, and the guy I believe broke the Giordano to Toronto deal weeks in advance. I expect Seattle is another casualty of not getting to talk extension, but I’m not sure. Remember, Bo would torch us for the next 8 years if this went through. Also, is this a case where quantity over quality is better for us going forwards?

Let me know what you think!

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

Okay, but only one of these deals existed in real life.

I'd say hypothetical Deal #2 with BOS.

Smith's contract ends after the season, so that would be $3.1 off the books, and Carlo fills in that RD spot very nicely at a cheap cap hit. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Hi y’all. 

So, the rumour mill was abuzz for the months leading up to yesterday’s trade. There’s been a lot going on in terms of insider reports, etc, so I’m curious what deal people would’ve taken if they were in charge. Keep in mind these are just the frameworks, I don’t think they’re the exact deals that could’ve been in place.

Deal 1: 

The deal. We’ve heard your thoughts already, but was it truly the best available?

Deal 2: 

This is the likeliest deal from the bruins, although it was never revealed to be an offer. I would’ve loved Lysell, but doubt we’d get him. Carlo has concussion history too, but is much more established than Raty and Beau. 

Deal 3: 

This is, imo, the most likely deal from the Canes (with tiny pieces added to both sides to make the cap work). Apparently they were only interested if they could talk extension first, but ended up backing off. 

Deal 4: 

This was the rumoured deal from a noted Seattle insider, and the guy I believe broke the Giordano to Toronto deal weeks in advance. I expect Seattle is another casualty of not getting to talk extension, but I’m not sure. Remember, Bo would torch us for the next 8 years if this went through. Also, is this a case where quantity over quality is better for us going forwards?

Deal 4 would be the only deal that is attractive if it was offered.

Deal 3 offers similar value but if you view Kotkaniemi as cap dump, that's 6 year cap dump for a low 1st rounder and Morrow. Morrow is still in college I think so it's not clear how close to being NHL ready whereas Raty is probably a year or two at most away from a regular NHL role. Quite a high chance that the trade doesn't work out for us with all 3 pieces being duds.

Deal 2 is the worst here. That 1st is really low first, likely even lower than Carolina's. We don't need Carlo for next season, we are going to retool so we will suck at least one more season.

13 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Hi y’all. 

Deal 1: 

Deal 2: 

Deal 3: 

Deal 4: 

10 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Tie between 1 and 4

Except 4 was shot down numerous times.  It was never on the table.

You're comparing a real deal to fictional deals. Of course the made up dreams of CDC are better than real life.

Which deal would you do? The one we got? Or Bo to Edmonton for McDavid :D 

For the sake of discussion. I'd rank them 4-3-1-2. Wright is a top 5 pick, much cheaper. We get borderline no cap back. I like Morrow and Kotkaniemi, late first is pretty much a high second. But we're not able to draft a Morrow with any of our firsts anyway. So he makes up for the 1st round pick being meh.

Edited by N7Nucks

18 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Hi y’all. 

Deal 1: 

Deal 2: 

Deal 3: 

Deal 4: 

Well, with the canes deal, there was no way in hell that they were gonna offer morrow in any package. Best you might have gotten was nikishin.

1 hour ago, AngryElf said:

Hi y’all. 

Deal 1: 

Deal 2: 

Deal 3: 

Deal 4: 

2 3 and 4 never happened and never would happen. Boston isn't going to remove their best defensive RHD behind Charlie. That isn't improving a contender. 

Canes wouldn't offer Morrow straight up for horvat. They value him like he's the next Dobson.

I'd consider Wright but meh he's likely to be a bust. Raty and a 1st is a better gamble then just Wright imo. Both are gambles obvious

If #4 was ever real you do that all day everyday. 

Other than that, the deal we git is probably the best one.

Koka is a 6 year cap dump so no to that and Carlo as the primoum player coming back is a bit older than what I like and could be a concussion away from hanging his skates up.