The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boeser's season is underrated/underappreciated, but the concern is warranted

Rate this topic

Dazzle

There's no question that Boeser appears to be a shadow of himself with regards to scoring. His wicked wristers have seemingly disappeared from his game. However, take a look at the stats here:

image.thumb.png.8564338786103bc7572667ac41fdf749.png

The only other "bad" season was in 2019, so this season shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

That being said, from a points perspective, he is potentially on pace to rival his best seasons. He's 25, and he happens to be in the same first round draft class as Beaulivier (not that this fact is particularly relevant). Beaulivier plays the PK, and he's fast. He's roughly a 40 pt player. Super inconsistent just like Boeser. In this respect, Boeser appears to be at least 2 million overpaid for his production. Although Boeser has never been known to be a fast or great skater, I think (and I hope) he can improve this in the off-season.

I'm not sure why Boeser has a tendency to pass now versus shoot. Maybe this is a consequence of his surgeries?

Thoughts?

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

At least he got to continue playing. Plenty of young talent get careers stolen by lousy, teens/20's misfortune. Could even occur by being in the wrong car, at the wrong time.

He got a contract that now looks like 6/49 luck. Just a snail's pace unfortunately.

It's a drag..but his trajectory played out like the effin' space shuttle. Can't win'em all

• Cheers 1

Boeser is a complimentary player-pure and simple. That’s what his stats reflect.

Look at his productive years with EP/JT-it was mostly those two driving play.  

When he signed his short term deal out of his ELC-that’s when I wanted to see him traded. His play dipped and here we are now.

The only way I see him being a fit on the Canucks is if he can become an elite PP1 bumper spot with EP feeding him.  That would open up the PP quite a bit, but wishful thinking most likely.

• Like 1

I believe the injuries really played a large part, and Boeser changed his game. He used to be a sniper, and now he's not scoring much at all. I have noticed he's been working harder (maybe not smarter). I think he's faster and a little more physical? His time may be up in VAN, but I think he'll regain his scoring touch on another team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm not sure why Boeser has a tendency to pass now versus shoot. Maybe this is a consequence of his surgeries?

I looked at some Brock highlight videos from his first season and what strikes me is how quickly he got his shot off back then. Now it seems he takes a half-second longer to line up the shot and that gives the goalie a chance to get into position. Brock is at his best when he just receives a pass and shoots all in one motion. He also has seen his role change on the power play from triggerman to set up man for the bumper. Maybe with Horvat gone, Brock might get moved to the bumper position to take advantage of a still awesome shot, when he can get it off. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I looked at some Brock highlight videos from his first season and what strikes me is how quickly he got his shot off back then. Now it seems he takes a half-second longer to line up the shot and that gives the goalie a chance to get into position. Brock is at his best when he just receives a pass and shoots all in one motion. He also has seen his role change on the power play from triggerman to set up man for the bumper. Maybe with Horvat gone, Brock might get moved to the bumper position to take advantage of a still awesome shot, when he can get it off. 

Hopefully he'll get dumped in the next 5 weeks and we can clear some cap space that he's eating up.  Enough said!

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

There's no question that Boeser appears to be a shadow of himself with regards to scoring. His wicked wristers have seemingly disappeared from his game. However, take a look at the stats here:

The only other "bad" season was in 2019, so this season shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

That being said, from a points perspective, he is potentially on pace to rival his best seasons. He's 25, and he happens to be in the same first round draft class as Beaulivier (not that this fact is particularly relevant). Beaulivier plays the PK, and he's fast. He's roughly a 40 pt player. Super inconsistent just like Boeser. In this respect, Boeser appears to be at least 2 million overpaid for his production. Although Boeser has never been known to be a fast or great skater, I think (and I hope) he can improve this in the off-season.

Thoughts?

When your rookie season is the best season you've had and you make $6.6 million dollars because of it there isn't much good to say no matter how you try to look at it.  Brock has been and continues to be a disappointment on the Ice. Off the Ice he is a first class person but that only goes so far.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

That shot he had was his bread and butter and the injuries probably hindered that. I think he wore that bandage on his wrist for years. 

I agree with the poster that he needs to work with a coach who can get his shot back and give him some of his confidence back. A skating coach wouldn't hurt either.

He probably does need new scenery too and a fresh start. 

• Cheers 1

People need someone to blame for this disastrous season.

like one player performing near career levels is the problem. hes the easy target. 

his production is slightly Down and he signed a contract that was under the QO but still a bit to much for what he brings currently.

5.5mill he’d be fair value for players signing in the last 12 months.

he’s not nearly as bad as some on here desperately fabricate trash about.

Brock will do fine with a fresh start he’ll continue to put up points 

I don’t know what the toll of all his injuries surgeries and personal life are buts he’s a decent  top 6 player. 
definatly underrated here and a scapegoat for how bad the over team has been. he won’t be unhappy to be traded away from this circus. 

i don’t know much about AB except what the reports and his stats say. 

hes a career .45ppg player that’s quick and forechecks we’ll 

sound like a third line checking winger to me a Hansen type. 
a better comparison for him would be garland. 
perhaps given more opportunity AB can produce more 

but his contract is coming due to so then you have to pay him more. I doubt he’s ever a .73-.78 ppg player that brock currently is. 

AB will be a great addition to the middle 6 and Pk 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Thoughts?

I think he's still having hand problems.

My concern with Boeser for the last 3 years hasn't been his capability to produce, it's been his ability to stay healthy enough to do that. He's had a rough start to his career with injuries.

I like him as a player, but if the opportunity is there at the deadline to move him and get decent return, I definitely would.

• Cheers 1

Boeser's shot was the equalizer that made up for his mediocre skating ability. He still thinks the game very well but at this point I am not sure if that shot is ever coming back. He isn't one of the elite wingers in the league anymore without that weapon and that's a damn shame for us.

• Cheers 2

From my couch, BB6 is a third line calibre player, without all the tools you'd want from a third liner

His game is quite one dimensional, and that one dimension is not shown frequently enough. He is a fairly easy player to play against...stand near him and don't let him shoot....he doesn't seem "crafty" enough to find "the spot", nor does he have the speed

With all the opponent attention EP and Bo (remember him?) have received, BB6 has had more than enough chance to produce more, yet he hasn't

Not quite an Alf-level bustaroo, but not an elite or core player in my assessment

• Like 2

I have never seen a player regress as poorly as Boeser and at Boeser's age. Blaming the back injury from 5 years ago is beating a dead horse. He was still producing modestly in the following 2 seasons. Boeser hasn't done anything to improve his skating nor try to recapture some of that lost velocity in his shot. BoHo worked hard on all aspects of his game since his rookie season. Petey has gained strength and has worked on his overall game while becoming one of the best all-around players in the NHL. Something just isn't right upstairs with Boeser. And it goes far beyond his late dad's declining health and inevitable passing.....that's life unfortunately. Doesn't seemed motivated nor determined. 9 goals in 41 games this season at this stage in his career is absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2