The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Look at The Cap Situation Heading into the TDL

Rate this topic

HKSR

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

And THIS is what you latch onto?

"Also, I don't think a player can have more than 50% retained overall, even with a 3rd party retention.  I could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure the max is 50% retained on a single player.  "

At least I'm humble enough to not state opinions as fact like some people around here. 

A humble person spends 10 seconds to Google something and educate themselves rather than just posting that other people are wrong.

• RoughGame 1

Just now, Provost said:

A humble person spends 10 seconds to Google something and educate themselves rather than just posting that other people are wrong.

Lol, I think you need to re-read my sentences and read up on what 'humble' actually means.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I don't think retaining on either of those guys makes much sense.

The wildcard is Petterson and his thoughts.  If he is disillusioned seeing his friends go and no prospect of having a playoff team in the next couple years, we have to really change gears into a full rebuild including moving him in the offseason.  If he is ok for next year to be a transition phase, then it opens up some possibilities.

That Petey get a fin to compete with about the C position is great. Much better than Horvat or Miller.

I think both Raty and Petey thrives under the playful competition between those two.

Bally Sports Bankruptcy Can Affect the Salary Cap.

Well now the research starts to see if it does at all but there are reported 12 NHL teams that they owe money to

Individually it might not amount to much but if 1/3 of the league is affected then there is even a chance if it is enough there is a small chance the cap could go down or stay the same for another year.

I am sure if that happened the league would allow compliance buyouts.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd be happy retaining up to 1.5-2M on Boeser or Myers if it gets them moved. You throw in Schenn to any deal with Boeser (with 1-2M retained) and that's a great package for any team. They'd still need to give us around 5M in cap coming back to make it work, but there's plenty of teams out there.

I know NJD have talked about trading Severson/letting him go, so Boeser (2M retained) + Schenn for Severson + pick would work nicely. However Severson is still pretty good and logging big minutes so I think all we'd get is a 2nd round pick or maybe a prospect Bahl would be nice...).

I think Minnesota makes sense. Boeser (2M retained) + Schenn for Dumba + 1st would be perfect. Minnesota go all in, they were going to let Dumba walk this off-season anyway, he's been a healthy scratch recently too. They get a solid playoff warrior in Schenn who plays D the right way and their man in Boeser to help Kaprizov run the offence a bit more balanced since Fiala left. Boeser at a 4.5M cap hit is delicious for them and worthy of their 19-20th overall pick.

Myers will be a tough cookie to swallow but sounds like Toronto or Ottawa are keen. I wouldn't retain on multiple players but we do have 2.4M in dead cap opening up so could retain 1M of Myers' money comfortably if it means we don't have to shed a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Even so, with Minny's 1st I'd do it.

All up:

1) Boeser (2m retained) + Schenn for Dumba + 1st

2) Myers (1m retained) + 3rd to Ottawa/Toronto for cap dump

In the off-season we can decide on Dumba, if he plays Bear-like we can re-sign him, otherwise he walks. We free up 10M in cap space right there.

If we want to rebuild, rebuild away with three first round picks.

If we want to push for the playoffs next year, sign two solid top-4 defencemen. There's guys like Gavrikov, Graves and Mayfield out there. 10M can secure two of them easily and away we go.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Beauvillier - Miller - Garland

Hoglander - Raty? - Podkolzin

Joshua - Lazar - Aman?

Hughes - Mayfield

Gavrikov - Bear

OEL - Burroughs

Yes please get it done

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

So just a bit over a month before the TDL, and with the blockbuster Bo trade behind us.  Where do we stand? 

Can we retain on Boeser and be ok?

Can we retain on Myers?

What about Luke Schenn?

Here's what I've projected the cap situation as over the coming 3 years with a $1M cap increase next year, and only small $2M increases the following 2 years due to the Bally Sports bankruptcy issue.

Key Points:

- Assumption that Boeser, Myers, and Schenn are all traded by 2023-24 season

- Retention of $1.5M+ on Boeser is completely fine.  Could definitely acquire some good assets with this kind of retention.

- Could retain on Myers as well if it means acquiring better assets.

- Petey can have his massive raise to $10.5M AAV

- Small increases to other players such as Bear, Beauvillier, Joshua, Podz, Hogs, etc

Will we suck next year?  Most likely.  However, we will also have $10M to $12M in cap space to weaponize while allowing our prospects to develop.

Cap3Years.jpg.ab03f3e7fd3cf93ece4c790a8b81589a.jpg

TLDR:  We can retain plenty on Boeser and Myers and be completely fine.  We're likely to suck next year anyways, so retain what we need to make sure we get solid returns for Boeser, Myers, and Schenn.

While I fully agree with your assumptions on Myers, BB6 and Schenn (hopefully) being gone, I do not however see any upgrade on defence.  Except for QH, all of the other D's are simply "PLUGS" and should ALL be sent packing.    They are ALL completely useless and are officially the worst defensive core in the entire NHL on PP's, PK, defending 5 on 5, won't block pucks, can't exit the zone, lose puck battles along the boards, play out of position,are slow, small and can't make passes.   That is THE ROOT CAUSE of all of our problems (aside from Demko being temporarily out) this year!  

So while you're on the right track, the canucks need to shed another $8-10M to get even more room to obtain at least 3 more quality D's.  Then we'll be talking!

4 hours ago, GB5 said:

There will be opportunity for this but the direction the team is taking is still not all that clear.

Do they want to clear cap space and obtain picks/prospects along with a bad contract or two in the short term which signals more of a rebuild approach or is the goal to shed cap and get younger and use cap for free agents to compliment the youngsters in more of a retool.

There are likely other scenarios as well but I think this group is not looking to weaponize cap space to rebuild. They want to get this group back to being competitive as quickly as they think possible so more of a reshuffling of the deck approach so cap space will probably be used in other ways.

The answer is both.  

We need to open up as much cap space as possible and fill as many roster spots with bad, expiring deals as we can.  Acquire as many picks and prospects as possible.

This season and next are lost, let's focus everything on acquiring as many quality future assets as we can.  Then next offseason we look to improve as much as we can

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

So just a bit over a month before the TDL, and with the blockbuster Bo trade behind us.  Where do we stand? 

Can we retain on Myers?

What about Luke Schenn?

Here's what I've projected the cap situation as over the coming 3 years with a $1M cap increase next year, and only small $2M increases the following 2 years due to the Bally Sports bankruptcy issue.

Key Points:

- Retention of $1.5M+ on Boeser is completely fine.  Could definitely acquire some good assets with this kind of retention.

- Small increases to other players such as Bear, Beauvillier, Joshua, Podz, Hogs, etc

Will we suck next year?  Most likely.  However, we will also have $10M to $12M in cap space to weaponize while allowing our prospects to develop.

TLDR:  We can retain plenty on Boeser and Myers and be completely fine.  We're likely to suck next year anyways, so retain what we need to make sure we get solid returns for Boeser, Myers, and Schenn.

Boes still has some time to get back into his groove and no retaining necessary.

Trading Schenner? Not something we need to do and we'd miss his toughness a lot more than people think.

And we can keep Myers and let one of the league's best ex Dmen help him get back on track so we can get a decent return on him without retaining anything, especially with the price on D going up. In Gonchar I trust.. 

Thankfully we might go the actual "build" route for a change but I'll believe it when I see it BUT there's a lot of stupid fans and media out there who would hate that route but look where NOT doing it has got us in the last 40+ years.. 

Would I care if we sucked for another cpl of seasons if we finally got on the build for a contender every year for a legit shot? Nope but whatever.. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Can we retain on Myers?

What about Luke Schenn?

Key Points:

Always appreciate the spreadsheets. What a difference a few months makes.

Loving the weaponized cap space. I just hope we do use it.

December 2022                                                                                                  Today

1961374477_Cap3YearProjection.jpg.1e9560ce1abd2fc29fb6326aaf1077ed.jpgCap3Years.jpg.ab03f3e7fd3cf93ece4c790a8b81589a.jpg

• Cheers 1

A big part of the Bo trade or not trade equation was the cap situation, no doubt. With Bo now departed from the books, our cap is in a really good position that only gets better next year and the year after and the year after. Plenty of room for Petey's pay day a year and a half from now and lots of room to acquire help.

That being said, i feel it would be nicer to move out Myers than Brock if we are retaining, and while I like OEL and don't want to get rid of him, if there is a chance at dumping that contract that is not horribly painful, we should.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:01 AM, HKSR said:

Can we retain on Myers?

What about Luke Schenn?

You lost me after that second paragraph.   All three of those players need to go.   The first two because of uselessness - the third to get another draft pick back.   

Nothing more need be said!

On 2/1/2023 at 10:20 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd be happy retaining up to 1.5-2M on Boeser or Myers if it gets them moved. You throw in Schenn to any deal with Boeser (with 1-2M retained) and that's a great package for any team. They'd still need to give us around 5M in cap coming back to make it work, but there's plenty of teams out there.

I know NJD have talked about trading Severson/letting him go, so Boeser (2M retained) + Schenn for Severson + pick would work nicely. However Severson is still pretty good and logging big minutes so I think all we'd get is a 2nd round pick or maybe a prospect Bahl would be nice...).

I think Minnesota makes sense. Boeser (2M retained) + Schenn for Dumba + 1st would be perfect. Minnesota go all in, they were going to let Dumba walk this off-season anyway, he's been a healthy scratch recently too. They get a solid playoff warrior in Schenn who plays D the right way and their man in Boeser to help Kaprizov run the offence a bit more balanced since Fiala left. Boeser at a 4.5M cap hit is delicious for them and worthy of their 19-20th overall pick.

Myers will be a tough cookie to swallow but sounds like Toronto or Ottawa are keen. I wouldn't retain on multiple players but we do have 2.4M in dead cap opening up so could retain 1M of Myers' money comfortably if it means we don't have to shed a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Even so, with Minny's 1st I'd do it.

All up:

1) Boeser (2m retained) + Schenn for Dumba + 1st

2) Myers (1m retained) + 3rd to Ottawa/Toronto for cap dump

In the off-season we can decide on Dumba, if he plays Bear-like we can re-sign him, otherwise he walks. We free up 10M in cap space right there.

If we want to rebuild, rebuild away with three first round picks.

If we want to push for the playoffs next year, sign two solid top-4 defencemen. There's guys like Gavrikov, Graves and Mayfield out there. 10M can secure two of them easily and away we go.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Beauvillier - Miller - Garland

Hoglander - Raty? - Podkolzin

Joshua - Lazar - Aman?

Hughes - Mayfield

Gavrikov - Bear

OEL - Burroughs

Pretty much same team but couple new D and Burroughs is not a full time D man , might as well sign Schenn back.  

Our forwards need some help.I would rather trade Miller and grab a 2c ufa signed for 3 years till Raty can take that spot.

4 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Pretty much same team but couple new D and Burroughs is not a full time D man , might as well sign Schenn back.  

Our forwards need some help.I would rather trade Miller and grab a 2c ufa signed for 3 years till Raty can take that spot.

I think it really depends on our direction. If we're trading everyone (Miller, Boeser, Myers) and aiming to tank for a couple of years then we just need one center for a couple of seasons. A UFA like Strome, Compher or Puis Suter might work well for a couple of seasons. I would like a guy like Sundqvist in Detroit if they can't afford to keep all their young centers, maybe on a sort of bridge contract.

However, if our target is to make the playoffs next season, then we've got to keep Miller at 2C and get a 3rd line center who's relatively cheap. Again, the 3 guys above would be nice but they're going to cost around 4M or more. 

A big weak spot of this team this season has been it's 3rd line center. I said in the off-season that we just needed a solid defensive 3C and a top-4 defenceman and we'd probably have been a playoff team. We had the 5M in cash, and there were so many cheap options like Tierney, Janmark and Jarnkrok (Rodriguez a bit more expensive). There were also some veteran 20+ minute D-men out there. Instead we drop it on a winger...

That's it we can score but can't defend very well.That could be coaching.

We need to get rid of BB,Schenn and Myers even if it's in the summer after the draft.Miller if we can.Any 3 of these would be big for the team.Pearson well maybe a team would consider him at the draft.Garland for me I'd like to keep .Then get a decent C and RD UFA and think we'd be better but would take a couple years drafting the right players.