The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo? He’s our best prospect in the system, he should make the team

Rate this topic

Odd.

23 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Yes, I am that confident Jurmo is truly the best prospect we have.

Over Rathbone, Podkolzin, Hoglander, hell even Raty. 

He was ranked 20th on NHL central scouting and ranked 46th by EP, as well as 60th by Bob McKenzie.

Just look at his highlights:

He’s 6’4 198lbs. His skating ability, size, athleticism, physicality, and hockey IQ scouts rave about are evident. He is a true defensive defenseman with offensive instincts.

I’ll buy his ticket, this is the type of defenseman we need and he’s literally in our system!

Completely off topic but I love seeing the white boards with no or little advertising.

Then they go and funk up the unis.

I’m looking forward to seeing JJ in Abby to get a better feel for his game.

15 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Yeah no clue either. 

He’s not flashy and doesn’t stick out like others, but you check the ice time and you realize hes played 20+ minutes. 

He‘s best pals with Heiskanen and trains with him in the off season. Another defenseman who is also crazy steady and one of the best two way defenseman in the game.

Jurmo doesn’t strike me as the type of guy that needs to work on specific aspects. He has pretty much all the tools and gifts to make the NHL, perhaps working on being more of an impact player offensively, but he’s almost certainly a defensively minded and worries about the little details before anything else.

I do think he makes the team next year. Canucks have to have him in the line up in Abby for their playoff run.

one of the constant criticisms by media was that although he has great physical traits, his decision making was sketchy.  That’s something a good system/development staff can help with.

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He has 9 points, in 40 games and -10.

I wouldn't write him off, but is he really any different than a lot of defensive prospects?

Jett Woo has 9 points in 40 games with Abby, and 0 +/-, and is a right handed shot, and has 57 PIM's.

Let's see him here in training camp or the AHL and see how he does.

Woo is never going to be statline player points wise. His strengths are to be physical, skate well in transition play responsibly in the D zone.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I like the skills JJ has. Not too sure about how well he processes the game though.  Love to see him here (Abby) and learning to play the faster NA game.  Certainly can’t teach the size and skills he has. 

Thanks for the positive thread @Odd.  it’s nice to read positive stuff.  Been a hard go for our club for a while. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Doesn't he have to sign with the team before the new season rolls over?  He was drafted almost three years ago.  I thought draft rights expired over time.

I think we have this summer to sign him. I mean i assume there wasn’t any rush considering he was still under contract with Jukerit. With the little prospect depth we have on D I imagine he will get a contract.

Edit: European players is D+4 years so we have next summer to sign him

Edited by Odd.

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

This team has a habit of passing up defensive defenseman prospects because they don’t blow up the stat sheet.

We never gave Brisebois a shot, Sautner, Chatfield (and now he plays top 4 minutes in Carolina), playing Woo as a freaking forward (thank god Cull is gone) etc

Joni Jurmo isn't a defensive defenseman though. He's like Myers, but probably without the boneheaded penalties. Actually, we'd probably be ecstatic if he was that.

Sautner/Chatfield were given lots of chances here, but they didn't succeed. Chatfield was ok here, but he had his own defensive lapses. Woo playing forward was not a matter of choice, nor was it indicative of his worth of a defenseman.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

Joni Jurmo isn't a defensive defenseman though. He's like Myers, but probably without the boneheaded penalties. Actually, we'd probably be ecstatic if he was that.

Sautner/Chatfield were given lots of chances here, but they didn't succeed. Chatfield was ok here, but he had his own defensive lapses. Woo playing forward was not a matter of choice, nor was it indicative of his worth of a defenseman.

Agreed, Woo is still a possibility.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

This team has a habit of passing up defensive defenseman prospects because they don’t blow up the stat sheet.

We never gave Brisebois a shot, Sautner, Chatfield (and now he plays top 4 minutes in Carolina), playing Woo as a freaking forward (thank god Cull is gone) etc

2022-23 26 CAR NHL 50 5 4 9 13 27 4 0 1 2 3 0 1 53 9.4 119 697 13:56 0 0   45 54 19 11

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/c/chatfja01.html

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Odd. said:

And astonishingly Cull was a disaster in Vancouver too. Who woulda thought?

The Canucks need to stop promoting coaches from the farm that have no experience just because they feel they’ve “earned it”.

Its lucky we didn’t have any high end prospects for him to ruin. Seems like Colliton has everyone developing the way they should now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1