The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joni Jurmo? He’s our best prospect in the system, he should make the team

Rate this topic

Odd.

I think he has potential, but he hasn't proved that he can elevate his game to NHL level yet. I think you're over estimating where he's at without a greater frame of reference or competition.

Let's get him over here and see how he does in Abbotsford before we start anointing him...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

People want to rip JR/PA and want them fired.  They literally fixed our entire farm team in just over a year, Aquilini was the one who brought the team to Abbotsford.  They got all of their assistants in place, got the coach they wanted as well as two assistants who are borderline hall of famers, they traded the captain and now are looking at some major surgery.

People can trash these guys all they want, but at the end of the day they are doing all of the dirty work that Benning refused to do and didn't have the balls to do...

Let's not overstate the significance of JR's tenure here. A lot of the AHL players that are performing, namely Hoglander, Podkolzin, Klimovich are all Benning picks. Benning set this foundation. The so-called dirty work was in progress under Benning, but JR/Allvin, to their credit, have much better success with the pro scouts. I do believe that some of the staff from the Benning periods have continued to operate under JR/Allvin, considering they mentioned that the Canuck scouts liked Raty in 2021.

This is not so much a Benning vs JR thing. Each GM has contributed in some way. The NHL core was set by Benning, without a doubt. Without Benning/Delorme, there'd be no Pettersson.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Playing Woo as a forward is definitely not a good look. I mean, why would you even attempt that, he was 21 I think at the time. Playing him as forward is just terrible development.

It wasn't by choice. They lacked depth at the time. Woo has since been moved back to defense.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

And astonishingly Cull was a disaster in Vancouver too. Who woulda thought?

The Canucks need to stop promoting coaches from the farm that have no experience just because they feel they’ve “earned it”.

Its lucky we didn’t have any high end prospects for him to ruin. Seems like Colliton has everyone developing the way they should now.

I don't think Cull was the problem. In his interviews, he came across as knowledgable, but also approachable. I think he's being unfairly scapegoated.

Just now, Dazzle said:

I don't think Cull was the problem. In his interviews, he came across as knowledgable, but also approachable. I think he's being unfairly scapegoated.

His responsibility in Vancouver was the D.

Sure it wasn’t a great D core to begin with but it was a disaster under him. Much much worse than under Shaw.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

His responsibility in Vancouver was the D.

Sure it wasn’t a great D core to begin with but it was a disaster under him. Much much worse than under Shaw.

Losing Shaw was a blow to this organization, without a doubt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

I really hope you’re not judging Jurmo passed on his scout ranking and some highlights and actually went to watch the kid play.

I can post highlights of my greatest div 3 30+ beer league saves and you’d think I was God.

I've watched quite a bit of Jurmo since I saw him at the WJC last summer.  I didn't realize how good he was until I saw him dominate guys his age.  So I spent some time on YouTube.  He is already physically ready for the NHL.  He skates like Quinn Hughes and has great edge work.  He looks to be sound defensively, but also likes to rush the puck up the ice ala Quinn Hughes.  Once he is in the offensive zone he does seem to know what to do with the puck in terms of distribution.

He is playing on a team that has alot of older players on it.  So, his numbers don't stand out.  The ultimate test is to get him over to Abby next year and see how he compares with Rathbone, Woo and Brisebois.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Playing Woo as a forward is definitely not a good look. I mean, why would you even attempt that, he was 21 I think at the time. Playing him as forward is just terrible development.

woo is havinga heckuva year and looks great

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Well......Jurmo is certainly one of the tallest D prospect we have. Certainly not a heavyweight. (Not yet anyways!) The Woo's and Juulsen's of our farm eclipse 200lbs. And they're RD. Nothing wrong with Jurmo being lighter or being a LD. But he certainly is not our best prospect.

I like that he has size and skill, but he still needs to develop more to transition to the smaller ice and the NHL pace. Let alone the AHL pace. I like this pick and he has upside, but dudes still nothing more than a work in process. I'd be surprised if he gets to play with the big club anytime soon. Give it time.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He has 9 points, in 40 games and -10.

I wouldn't write him off, but is he really any different than a lot of defensive prospects?

Jett Woo has 9 points in 40 games with Abby, and 0 +/-, and is a right handed shot, and has 57 PIM's.

His size, speed, and a couple of other details would be the enticing qualities for him as a prospect.  It's been a long time since we've had a big d-man come in from draft and play as a top 4 guy.  

Joni has long been my favourite long shot to make it from the d-men, but I don't think that he's any more likely to do it then some other longer shot like Truscott or Dorrington.  In any case, Jett Woo shouldn't be discounted yet either.  24 is the age for d-men where I think you need to see that they're ready for the NHL, especially under our new philosophy of letting the prospects marinade a bit more. 

Watching the clips of Jurmo wheeling through the neutral zone gives me flashbacks of one of my all time favorite Canucks, Ed Jovonovski.

I don't know if Jurmo is the best prospect but I've always liked his skating style and I hope to see more of him one day

Edited by GB5

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

I agree that playing him at forward wasn't great, but he was at least a number seven on a defence list that had Brisebois, Juulsen, Sautner, Bowey, Rathbone and Stephens playing ahead of him. This year Woo has shown that he's done the work to be a better player and with the departure of Sautner, Bowey and Stephens, his game has improved with more ice time and greater confidence. I admire Woo's persistence and work ethic. I hope he makes it to the NHL.

It will be good for him to play a few seasons in the AHL and start to utilize his size more. I would like to see him work on lining guys up and dishing out big bone crushing body checks and fighting more. If he can become good in those areas as well as get his pro hockey timing down and playing a responsible and reliable shut down defensive game he could become a nice option for Vancouver 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

People want to rip JR/PA and want them fired.  They literally fixed our entire farm team in just over a year, Aquilini was the one who brought the team to Abbotsford.  They got all of their assistants in place, got the coach they wanted as well as two assistants who are borderline hall of famers, they traded the captain and now are looking at some major surgery.

People can trash these guys all they want, but at the end of the day they are doing all of the dirty work that Benning refused to do and didn't have the balls to do...

JR and PA literally fixed our farm team?

JB convinced FA to move the farm team.

Klimovich

Hoglander

Rathbone

Podkolzin

Karlsson

Di Giuseppe

Silovs 

Lockwood

Juulsen

Woo

All Benning guys, thats just off the top of my head. 
JR and PA have added to that yes, but they did not fix our farm team in one year.

JR and PA are getting waaaaaay too much credit from you for adding Bains, Wolanin and Aman to the farm.

40 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

JR and PA literally fixed our farm team?

JB convinced FA to move the farm team.

Klimovich

Hoglander

Rathbone

Podkolzin

Karlsson

Di Giuseppe

Silovs 

Lockwood

Juulsen

Woo

All Benning guys, thats just off the top of my head. 
JR and PA have added to that yes, but they did not fix our farm team in one year.

JR and PA are getting waaaaaay too much credit from you for adding Bains, Wolanin and Aman to the farm.

No doubt that most of the players on the team are Benning’s players.  Benning was a very good scout. I will not take that away from him at all. However, in terms of the actual management of the team, it is JR/PA that are getting that organization to be at the top of the AHL.  We are currently sitting 8th out of the 32 teams in the AHL.  If Benning was still the GM do you think that Podkolzin and Höglander would have been sent down to Abby?  That’s a big part of the change this year. JR is known for not rushing the young guys.  Benning not so much.

The other change is the coach.  Seems Colliton is doing a better job down there than Cull.  And then you have the Sedins who are a big part of the development of our young players. Moving forward I have full confidence that Abby will now be a place where our prospects can grow to their full potential versus getting rushed into the lineup or just not developing at all.  How many prospects actually developed in Utica under Benning?  Demko?  I can’t think of any others to be honest. I could be wrong though. I know we had some guys that jumped right to the NHL, but you need to develop those 2nd and 3rd round picks in order to be a successful franchise.  

• Vintage 1