The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat comments regarding Trade

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

From the NYI website:

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/bo-horvat-is-excited-for-new-beginnings-on-long-island/c-340606812

Notice not a bad word about anyone from the Canucks organization.

But he does say again... "...I thought I'd be a Canuck for life..."

Which tells you it wasn't him who wanted a trade.

There must have been an offer which was significantly under value for him to leave.

Lamoriello also makes it clear he intends to sign Bo... and that he was eager to make the trade before another team could.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/lamoriello-horvat-to-help-islanders-offense-and-power-play/c-340606692

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 2

I think there was a Horvat deal to be had if both sides had given a bit more but I'm just spitballing 

I do believe management was probably leaning more towards a trade though regardless of their public stance 

They bungled it up by not trading Miller at last season's deadline but it is what it is 

For what it's worth I wouldn't be surprised if Bo held off on signing an extension to wait and see how the Isles do, wouldn't be surprised to see him explore UFA either

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

What was the last offer the Canucks made for Bo??

All I read was “fair and reasonable offer” (maybe mid $6M??) and it was based on his career and did not factor in his breakout this season.  Also read the lowball offer in the summer was at RNH level (low $5M).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think there was a Horvat deal to be had if both sides had given a bit more but I'm just spitballing 

I do believe management was probably leaning more towards a trade though regardless of their public stance 

They bungled it up by not trading Miller at last season's deadline but it is what it is 

For what it's worth I wouldn't be surprised if Bo held off on signing an extension to wait and see how the Isles do, wouldn't be surprised to see him explore UFA either

If they give him $65 Mill to live in New York?

Why wouldn't he sign...

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

If they give him $65 Mill to live in New York?

Why wouldn't he sign...

Because he's already sitting at 31 goals so even if he tails off he'll probably hit 40-45. He'd get paid via UFA too while having options regarding his landing spot, someone would throw the bag at him. Teams would likely also make room if he could be had. 

He'd have more teams interested if all said teams had to give up was money and cap space as opposed to trade assets. 

He could take a bit less and go somewhere like Boston or Carolina and probably have a better shot at winning while getting paid. Wouldn't be shocked to see a team like Colorado shuffle things around. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Sounds like he was offered around 7-7.5M in some reports, I doubt they'd offer him 6M or anything less than Boeser...

At the end of the day it'll be interesting to see what Bo signs for, I know he wanted to stay in Vancouver and certainly didn't want to be traded but if he or his agent was getting greedy and wanted over 8-8.5M then that's on them, not our management. We've ripped management a lot for making bad moves and making good people look bad, but if Bo was getting greedy and signs for 8.5M at the end of the day, that's a 1M difference...

You hear a lot about hometown discounts, surely 1M would have cut that. That being said if Allvin offered him under 7M that's a dog move by them.

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

13 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sounds like he was offered around 7-7.5M in some reports, I doubt they'd offer him 6M or anything less than Boeser...

At the end of the day it'll be interesting to see what Bo signs for, I know he wanted to stay in Vancouver and certainly didn't want to be traded but if he or his agent was getting greedy and wanted over 8-8.5M then that's on them, not our management. We've ripped management a lot for making bad moves and making good people look bad, but if Bo was getting greedy and signs for 8.5M at the end of the day, that's a 1M difference...

You hear a lot about hometown discounts, surely 1M would have cut that. That being said if Allvin offered him under 7M that's a dog move by them.

lol they literally said they offered him a contract based on numbers excluding this season.. horvats number based on previous seasons would be looking at around 6.5mil.. and you doubt they offer him 6M or anything less than boeser? well they started the negotiation by offering him a pay cut at 5.2mil so ya i wouldnt' put it past them their last contract offer is 6.5x8. they literally sign Miller thru his prime years to "retool" lol what a joke.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

NY is fun to visit. I wouldn't want to live there or raise kids there. 

Suburbs are good for raising kids. The city probably not.

If someone pays me 8 mil per year to live on the Island, I'd do it. There are plenty of nice suburbs good for raising kids.

I think Bo re-signs with the Islanders.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We won the trade.  Hopefully the Islanders finish bottom 12, so we get their first next year (unprotected) because it’s going to be top 5.  Bo will be the player he has been for his career.  

Yeah but there's risk that they make the playoffs and the pick becomes 20+.

I'd rather get a 13-15th overall pick this season, draft Michkov at 7th overall and draft a center with 13-15th overall.

In 2-3 years both of those players we draft in 2023 will be ready to make a difference on a team already featuring, Petey, Miller. Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Beauvillier, developed Raty, Podz and Hogs, and maybe Klim, Karlsson, Aman, Lockwood.

The management just needs to focus on trading out Garland and/or Boeser and then upgrading RD via UFA/trades/draft. Myers and Pearson will be off the books by then and we could make a splash and sign a big name RD if one were to become available.