The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat comments regarding Trade

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

I think it is pretty clear that just like they made it clear they didn't want Boudreau, they didn't want Horvat as Captain and wanted to change the culture.  They didn't play hardball with Miller like they did with Bo.

It is a lot easier to just trade him like this than strip the C from him.

I don't necessarily disagree with the move if they were making wholesale changes, but in conjunction with the Miller signing it seems ill advised.  Bo is younger, a centre, and more valuable overall during the whole course of a next contract.  In context of us not being competitive for the next couple years, Bo makes more sense out of the two.

• Like 1

1. Not a bad word about the Canucks mean nothing. That interview was PR101. Notice how he says he is so excited to be an Islanders? Right... excited about joining a team that is not in the playoffs. He is doing a textbook interview, praising everyone while offending no one. 

2. JR already hinted what he offered to Horvat. He offered something that reflected his production thus far in Horvat's career, excluding this season. 7-7.5million AAV/8 years is a good bet. Horvat is probably looking at Robert Thomas and Forsberg's contract and wants 8.5mil AAV. 

For those that is asking Horvat to take a discount for the Canucks.. Stop being selfish cheapskates, Horvat's already paid his dues with the 5.5milx6years contract. He has well earned his upcoming contract. 

As for your sentiment that Horvat wanted to stay.. Based on the 2 points above; nah, don't think so. AND once again, who's to blame? He's been here for 9 years. And we've been losers for 9 years and unfortunately the trajectory is going the opposite of up. Every hockey player probably wants to win the cup in their career, I would want a new team for a change of scenary if I was Horvat as well. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

From the NYI website:

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/bo-horvat-is-excited-for-new-beginnings-on-long-island/c-340606812

Notice not a bad word about anyone from the Canucks organization.

But he does say again... "...I thought I'd be a Canuck for life..."

Which tells you it wasn't him who wanted a trade.

There must have been an offer which was significantly under value for him to leave.

Lamoriello also makes it clear he intends to sign Bo... and that he was eager to make the trade before another team could.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/lamoriello-horvat-to-help-islanders-offense-and-power-play/c-340606692

What else do you expect him to say?  I'm sure he would have liked to stay but its a business is it not?  Don't know why people are so upset about Bo getting traded.  Management offered what they though was fair based on what they think his trajectory is going forward.  They did not base it solely on his production during the last half of last season and the first half of this season.  Bo and his agent thought differently.  This is what contract negotiations are all about.  Sometimes it doesn't work out.  As a fan of the game, I will miss what Bo brought to the team but I don't get emotionally attached to any one player anymore because hockey is no longer just a sport.  Its a business.  Very few players end their careers with the team they are drafted into.

• Cheers 1

I don't know. This trade has made me think about things a bit to the point where I believe it's important to just see what happens.

If things actually work out and we become a good team sooner than we think, than it shows we get too much attachment to a player.If things stay the same for years to come, then perhaps this trade was a mistake.

Either way, I think this is clearly a shift in culture, which is never going to show whether it's a good or bad thing right away. We can easily say "I don't like this", but we can just as easily be wrong about that due to our attachments with players and coaches.

This is, of course, ignoring how things were handled. That part could have been a little smoother.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Does Bo impress as someone who would enjoy living where “it rocks”?

Whether he signs isn’t important. We got a great return for him is.  

Who knows and who cares. 

But if I was offered the opportunity to make $64 mil and live 

in Manhattan, it's not something I would hesitate doing. 

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I think it is pretty clear that just like they made it clear they didn't want Boudreau, they didn't want Horvat as Captain and wanted to change the culture.  They didn't play hardball with Miller like they did with Bo.

It is a lot easier to just trade him like this than strip the C from him.

I don't necessarily disagree with the move if they were making wholesale changes, but in conjunction with the Miller signing it seems ill advised.  Bo is younger, a centre, and more valuable overall during the whole course of a next contract.  In context of us not being competitive for the next couple years, Bo makes more sense out of the two.

I don't know how anyone didn't see this coming a long time ago. When JR and PA got here, they said BB wasn't their guy but he was already under contract. 

When Miller was signed, that showed which direction they wanted to go too. Miller comes from a different culture and was willing to play for less then what his 99 point season dictated he should be paid. 

I am pretty sure Bo and BB knew it was coming. When management said that they were not going to let anyone speak to Bo or his agent I knew there had to have been discussions between management and Bo. The way Bo played this year also showed he had something to prove and this probably had something to do with his meeting with management, he knew he was on the outs.

I am thinking the way the whole team played this year, maybe they were all given the news to the direction of the team at the beginning of the season.

In order to see who was on board or not, I think this would have been a good idea, be up front with them all.  

This would explain how some of them are just playing awful this year. 

Boeser , Myers and OEL are all playing different this year and we all know Demko wasn't himself. Now there is rumblings that even he may be traded, there has to be a reason for this.

The trade deadline will clarify things even more but I think the plans are already set in motion and they have been for awhile.

• elephant 1

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

1. Not a bad word about the Canucks mean nothing. That interview was PR101. Notice how he says he is so excited to be an Islanders? Right... excited about joining a team that is not in the playoffs. He is doing a textbook interview, praising everyone while offending no one. 

2. JR already hinted what he offered to Horvat. He offered something that reflected his production thus far in Horvat's career, excluding this season. 7-7.5million AAV/8 years is a good bet. Horvat is probably looking at Robert Thomas and Forsberg's contract and wants 8.5mil AAV. 

For those that is asking Horvat to take a discount for the Canucks.. Stop being selfish cheapskates, Horvat's already paid his dues with the 5.5milx6years contract. He has well earned his upcoming contract. 

As for your sentiment that Horvat wanted to stay.. Based on the 2 points above; nah, don't think so. AND once again, who's to blame? He's been here for 9 years. And we've been losers for 9 years and unfortunately the trajectory is going the opposite of up. Every hockey player probably wants to win the cup in their career, I would want a new team for a change of scenary if I was Horvat as well. 

Maybe he wanted a NTC or maybe they asked him to play a different way and he didn't want to, it could be many different things. Maybe it was just because he thought he was owed more money who knows. 

Either way, I think like you mentioned, a change of scenery was probably best for everybody involved.

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I would have a hell of a lot less faith in management if they had signed Bo, to any contract, rather than trading him. Asset management is as much a part of hockey as Cap management. Bo was an asset at the peak of production that simply must be traded in order to move this team forward.

This is a win for current management in my eyes

I agree, I cringed when we had assets like the Sedins, Markstrom, Edler and Tanev and we did nothing because we didn't want to hurt their feelings. ::D

If you want to build a championship, you have to make unpopular moves at times.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, I cringed when we had assets like the Sedins, Markstrom, Edler and Tanev and we did nothing because we didn't want to hurt their feelings. ::D

If you want to build a championship, you have to make unpopular moves at times.

Agree on Marky, Tanev and Edler. All 3 should have been moved for anything. But I'm ok having held onto the Sedins. I know it set the team back, but they did earn the right to retire here. Also would have been impossible to trade them both to the same team, so no way was Benning going to be the GM that splits up the Sedins at the end of their career.

Could you imagine the media headlines on that one!

to put it in simple words: i would have preferred Bo over Miller.....but miller had an outstanding season last year and earned a great contract, but Bo should always have/had a higher priority, with the importance of his faceoffs and overall usefullness in key situations. a great allround Center....now we have lost someone that had an all-star year because A: miller got a great contract AND B: the canucks poor team performance. Boudreau and Bo are therefore the scapegoats/pieces made to make differences with. i can only say what i mentioned to start this post....i would have preferred bo to stay over miller. now we trade Bo and start a rebuild coz the team couldnt play well enough. sad to say....but also, the teams performance is the key in all this. a worse performance then previous year is simply not acceptable. our team was better this year but we still didnt win enough. fancy that.....now hogs and podz are in the minors and Bo is gone...a lot of trades incoming this offseason and hopefully those 2 will be back and we get some good picks for the wingers that will be traded/removed from the team. 

• Like 1

Bo chose money over being a Canuck. I don't even care if anyone flames me for this, but I'm not sad to see him go. Watching him float around and play disengaged hockey away from the puck these last few year, while only playing hard when the puck is on a Canuck stick, as well as skating away from his teammates getting mauled (multiple times), made me lose a lot of respect for him. If you want to be a playoff team, you better play like it night in and night out, and you ALWAYS stick up for your teammates, no matter what. I'm pumped for JR to rid this franchise of the passengers and get back to a winning mentality.

/rant

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Agree on Marky, Tanev and Edler. All 3 should have been moved for anything. But I'm ok having held onto the Sedins. I know it set the team back, but they did earn the right to retire here. Also would have been impossible to trade them both to the same team, so no way was Benning going to be the GM that splits up the Sedins at the end of their career.

Could you imagine the media headlines on that one!

I agree but it would have ben nice if they played for a team in the playoffs as a rental and then came back the next year. Do the team a solid.

I have to agree with this,   I have noticed the same with Horvat game after game.   Bo put in what he had to, to get paid...not necessarily by anyone in particular, just to get his value up.  

8 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Bo chose money over being a Canuck. I don't even care if anyone flames me for this, but I'm not sad to see him go. Watching him float around and play disengaged hockey away from the puck these last few year, while only playing hard when the puck is on a Canuck stick, as well as skating away from his teammates getting mauled (multiple times), made me lose a lot of respect for him. If you want to be a playoff team, you better play like it night in and night out, and you ALWAYS stick up for your teammates, no matter what. I'm pumped for JR to rid this franchise of the passengers and get back to a winning mentality.

/rant

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

28 minutes ago, AbsolutelyEZE said:

I have to agree with this,   I have noticed the same with Horvat game after game.   Bo put in what he had to, to get paid...not necessarily by anyone in particular, just to get his value up.  

Yes we have 2 types of hockey players these days: those that chase Cups(i.e. Iginla,Bourque) and those that chase the money. Unfortunately, most players these days chase the money.

43 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I will add that Miller chose being a Canuck over maximizing his contract amount. Just saying. 

You think he’d get more…

he had a career year and got paid.
If they had waited and he was playing the way he’s played this season they wouldn’t have given Him 8. If fact i say he’s have been traded too. Which would have been the best for this club. 

he took the safe bet a 8mill retirement contract is what he chose. 

the best offer I saw for horvat was in the 6’s and it was just before they said we gave him our best offer. That’s a crap offer just like the 5 mill offer in the summer. That’s a we don’t want you here offer. 

doesn’t really matter horvat will be winning faceoffs putting up points and playing meaningful games while this club hope to win a lottery for years to come. 
But atleast well have retirement contract crew that chose to be here. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree but it would have ben nice if they played for a team in the playoffs as a rental and then came back the next year. Do the team a solid.

Sure. Although for all the times we wish a player gets traded as a rental and comes back to their team, I can't think of a time this has actually happened.

I know it has, as someone pointed out a few examples once, but in reality it almost never happens. Teams typically overpay their rental in order to keep them from walking

7 minutes ago, combover said:

You think he’d get more…

he had a career year and got paid.
If they had waited and he was playing the way he’s played this season they wouldn’t have given Him 8. If fact i say he’s have been traded too. Which would have been the best for this club. 

he took the safe bet a 8mill retirement contract is what he chose. 

the best offer I saw for horvat was in the 6’s and it was just before they said we gave him our best offer. That’s a crap offer just like the 5 mill offer in the summer. That’s a we don’t want you here offer. 

doesn’t really matter horvat will be winning faceoffs putting up points and playing meaningful games while this club hope to win a lottery for years to come. 
But atleast well have retirement contract crew that chose to be here. 

Where did you hear that he was being offered 5 in the summer?