The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nikita Tryamkin eyeing NHL return

Just now, Roberts said:

I don't understand the hype around him. Tall doesn't mean good.

image.png.42435cb25870b8776aea19c0a804a3e9.png

I agree with your point but those stats really don't tell you anything.  He plays defense so I wouldn't be terribly concerned with how many points he has or has not scored.  Not sure that penalty minutes says much either aside from that he's staying out of the box more which is good I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

No, it was that he got yanked around by the Canucks too much when they had leverage over his future.  Now he can decide where to go.

The first time, they just refused to give him a one way contract offer at all because the owner didn’t want to pay money to players if Covid shut things down (even though he gets that money back in escrow and repayments due to the 50/50 revenue sharing).  Tryamkin ended up waiting for months and signing for his hometown team right at the start of the KHL season.

The 2nd time, Benning lowballed him and even admitted he would have paid what Tryamkin was offering but they didn’t give him a chance to raise his offer.  Maybe something to do with being strung along for several months the time before and not even getting an offer…

There will always be a bit of a “what if” with the player.  He was a 3rd pairing quality guy when he was here, but also improved pretty drastically over his time.  He also had unique tools and could have turned into something special.  It was easy to envision him playing alongside Hughes.

I don’t expect him to be a top four NHL player now, or maybe on a bad team.  He missed too much development time in the NHL and pretty much is what he is now.  Expect him to go to a team like Washington with some Russians for comfort and where not too much is expected of him.

So you are saying that all those Red army guys from way back in 72, missed their development and there by, really were not that good when they came over and played in the NHL

Really?

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I agree with your point but those stats really don't tell you anything.  He plays defense so I wouldn't be terribly concerned with how many points he has or has not scored.  Not sure that penalty minutes says much either aside from that he's staying out of the box more which is good I guess. 

Wait what happened in that first year back in Russia?  109 PIM?