The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Vasily Podkolzin, Nils Aman, Phillip Di Giuseppe

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just when I thought they had figured it out…

Leave these guys down there! They have something good going on.

Call up Di Giuseppe sure, but Podz and Aman need to keep getting big minutes. Claim someone off waivers if you’re short bodies.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Call up Di Giuseppe sure, but Podz and Aman need to keep getting big minutes. Claim someone off waivers if you’re short bodies.

This is Tocchet looking for his penalty killers in the AHL, he said he would

I would love to see them groom Aman into our shutdown PK center

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, eeeeergh said:

This is Tocchet looking for his penalty killers in the AHL, he said he would

I would love to see them groom Aman into our shutdown PK center

Great way to kill their confidence. They’re still developing just leave them down there.

That can be worked on in training camp.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Don't think this is a pre-curser to anything imminent. We're just filling the empty roster spaces. Interesting to see Podz called up, and Hog left down. Hopefully Pizza can get a game or two. 

Hoglander was sent down right before he became eligible for waivers. So once he’s called up, they won’t be able to send him back down. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don't believe there are anyone on waivers right now.  We needed some bodies.  We may need more bodies...

58 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Mmmm, mixed feelings. Abbotsford has a good thing going, it'll be interesting to see how they utilize Podz but I'd rather they have left him in Abbotsford and kept him away from this mess for the remainder of the season. He'd get top six ice time, special teams roles, and likely more ice time in general over in Abbotsford, if they aren't going to put him in positions to succeed in Vancouver I hope they send him back to Abbotsford at some point.

We'll see how this plays out. Maybe we've more trades on the way sooner than later. 

Keep in mind the team now has the coaches they want to run their systems right, so as much as the season will continue to be a downer it will also be good to get the players familiar with Tocchet and understand what is expected of them at this level. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Don't think this is a pre-curser to anything imminent. We're just filling the empty roster spaces. Interesting to see Podz called up, and Hog left down. Hopefully Pizza can get a game or two. 

Hoglander won't get called up again unless they are certain he remains on the team or they want to showcase him for a trade...

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Keep in mind the team now has the coaches they want to run their systems right, so as much as the season will continue to be a downer it will also be good to get the players familiar with Tocchet and understand what is expected of them at this level. 

Sure, that's a fair point. 

But like I said, it'll be interesting to see how they utilize Podz. I'd argue that his longer term development over the remainder of the season is more important than a coach shuffling him around to figure out where he thinks Podz can fit when he'll have the entirety of next season's training camp and preseason to do just that. I'd rather see Podz play top six minutes, get special teams roles, and more ice time somewhere. If he isn't given that in Vancouver I'd rather see him go back to Abbortsford.

Time will tell. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I agree.  At some point Tocchet wants to take a look at these guys.  Plus we needed to fill roster spots.  I'd play Podkolzin with Petey and Kuzmenko and I'd play Aman as a shutdown 3C.  See what happens.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, that's a fair point. 

But like I said, it'll be interesting to see how they utilize Podz. I'd argue that his longer term development over the remainder of the season is more important than a coach shuffling him around to figure out where he thinks Podz can fit when he'll have the entirety of next season's training camp and preseason to do just that. I'd rather see Podz play top six minutes, get special teams roles, and more ice time somewhere. If he isn't given that in Vancouver I'd rather see him go back to Abbortsford.

Time will tell. 

I'm hoping they play Podzilla with Petey and Kuzy...

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Great way to kill their confidence. They’re still developing just leave them down there.

That can be worked on in training camp.

Lets see.. I dont hate it.

Aman at least is far too good for the AHL. He didn't look out of place up here at all. 

Podkolzin im more keen to see him stay down. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm hoping they play Podzilla with Petey and Kuzy...

Yeah, that'd be nice to see for sure 

It was frustrating seeing him bounce around the lineup or sit out earlier in the season, going forward if we're not going to put our young NHL'ers or prospects into positions to succeed we need to leave them somewhere they will be 

Whether that's the AHL, SHL, or so on 

Sometimes you've gotta give young players rope to make mistakes and work through things, you don't have to throw them right into the deep end but there's a fine line between doing that and being patient and allowing players to learn 

We're going to probably lose games by doing so but we're also in a stage as a club where development should be key going forward

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This shouldn't be a surprise nor should it cause trade speculation.   With JR's comments during the Tocchet presser (essentially confirming guys will be called up) combined with losing a roster player via waivers, and Mik's season ending surgery - these call-ups should've been expected. 

This does allow us to see 2 things however:

1.  How does Allvin follow up his earlier comments that in his view the previous coaching staff was only utilizing half the roster. 

2.  What exactly can Tocchet bring to the organization in terms of 'prospect development' since that's a vital part of this team moving forward, and an aspect this club has lacked for some time.

Edited by Fanuck
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, that'd be nice to see for sure 

It was frustrating seeing him bounce around the lineup or sit out earlier in the season, going forward if we're not going to put our young NHL'ers or prospects into positions to succeed we need to leave them somewhere they will be 

Whether that's the AHL, SHL, or so on 

Sometimes you've gotta give young players rope to make mistakes and work through things, you don't have to throw them right into the deep end but there's a fine line between doing that and being patient and allowing players to learn 

We're going to probably lose games by doing so but we're also in a stage as a club where development should be key going forward

I agree.  Boudreau had Podkolzin on the 4th line at times.  I'd rather have him on the top line in Abby.  If Tocchet puts him with Petey and Kuzy then I'm okay with him on the big club.  However, if he is going to be just a warm body on the 4th line then it's a waste to have him up here.  They should also let Podkolzin kill penalties as well.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1