The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Vasily Podkolzin, Nils Aman, Phillip Di Giuseppe

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hogz is, easily, the best player on Abby........it's 100% the waiver exemption, imo.

Yep. Let him tear it up and fine tune his game for the rest of the year there and bring back up for the start of next season. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Yep. Let him tear it up and fine tune his game for the rest of the year there and bring back up for the start of next season. 

I'm surprised they brought odz up for the same reason.  He was starting to dominate down there, why not let him be for the year?  Bring up the DiG's, Rau's, Dowling's etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Do you think he’s ready for NHL? If so, 2nd line? 3rd line?

Hogz?  Oh yeah, though his hands are still not super great, he's too good for the AHL, imo.  He pretty much controls the play most shifts he's out there..........his skating and motor is unmatched on Abby.  Depending on how they construct their team next year (top 6 and bottom 6 or top 9), I'd be finding a place where he can contribute offensively.  Personally, I'd reunite the Petey, Hogz and Podz line next year.

• There it is 1
  • elephant 1

55 minutes ago, Pears said:

Thanks for the heads-up about this.  Hopefully he and Raty can tear it up down there and maybe come up as a dominant duo to build around (like how the Lightning overmarinated their stars, e.g., Palat/ Kucherov/ Johnson line back in the day into what they've become now).  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Mmmm, mixed feelings. Abbotsford has a good thing going, it'll be interesting to see how they utilize Podz but I'd rather they have left him in Abbotsford and kept him away from this mess for the remainder of the season. He'd get top six ice time, special teams roles, and likely more ice time in general over in Abbotsford, if they aren't going to put him in positions to succeed in Vancouver I hope they send him back to Abbotsford at some point.

We'll see how this plays out. Maybe we've more trades on the way sooner than later. 

I have the same reaction. Good for these guys, but I would rather see them stay in Abby where all three guys are making progress. Taking them away weakens Abby quite a lot. (But in today's game in San Jose the "fill-ins" came up big.)

It does not a lot of sense for these three guys to be called up to sit in press box, so I assume they will all play. I thought Karlsson might get a look.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm surprised they brought odz up for the same reason.  He was starting to dominate down there, why not let him be for the year?  Bring up the DiG's, Rau's, Dowling's etc.

A couple of thoughts:

• waiver eligibility, players who may be going back down might get snapped up for depth this time of year (Dowling) but DiGiuseppe isn't waiver eligible (does this mean he is likely to stay up?)
  • We've heard from management that they really want to be developing Hogs and Podz so maybe they think that a call up is exactly what he needs at this point

Useful to look at the forward line up right now after these call ups

Kuzmenko Pettersson Boeser

Beauvillier Miller Garland

Podkolzin Dries Lazar

Joshua Aman Studnika

DiGiuseppe

IR: Pearson, Lockwood

LTIR: Mikheyev

It makes me wonder what they're going to do between now and next September. 

• Landing a 2C would really help with forward depth.  
  • Does Raty make the team out of camp as 3C?
  • Talk of moving on from Boeser and/or Garland means that they need top 6 help so how deep do they cut?  They're saying that Mikheyev will be back for camp.
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1