The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks - Nashville + Canucks - LA (Re-tool)

With the Horvat trade happening, management has identified the retool path Canucks will be taking and I am for it. I propose two trades to bring in a series of strong assets while staying somewhat competitive, as full-on tanking after this year I think is detrimental to younger players growth and the competitive nature you need in the locker room which develop our habits today to win tomorrow.

Canucks Trade: 3rd Round Pick

Nashville Trade: Ryan Johansen, 2nd Round Pick, Zachary L'Hereux

Ryan Johansen is a cap dump from Nashville. He will be making 8 million for two more seasons following this season, and he is on pace for under 50 points this season. He has negative value for his contract, and this will free up cap space for Nashville to re-tool, while they still have Josi, Duchene and Forsberg in their prime. Additionally, they have young, centre depth that should be able to replace Johansen's production in the next year or two at half the price. Nashville will be missing the playoffs this year and they will have cap flexibility for making moves to get into the playoffs next year. Johansen is a Vancouver boy, and would be happy to play out the rest of his contract here. 

Canucks do this trade as they receive additional assets. Whether its the proposed above, or some form of picks & prospects, L'Hereux would be a good mix of tenacity and power to compliment our re-tool and provide some LW depth, however could also explore other prospects. Beside additional assets, Canucks do this trade to fill their Centre depth for the next 2 years while we are re-tooling and also provide the chance to flip Johansen in the final year of his contract for more assets with salary retention. Lastly, the largest reason is this allows the Canucks to do the following:

Canucks trade: JT Miller

Los Angeles Trade: Cal Petersen's contract (negative value for 3 more years), 1st Round pick, Samuel Fagemo, Helge Grans

LA does this as they are able to rid themselves of Petersen's contract and bring in a player for $3 million more than Peterson's value starting next year who will bring in high-level production to compliment their average top 6. Kings could find a way to do this as Kopitar has just 1 more season left on his contract for $10 million. He may re-sign for 1 or 2 more years on a team friendly deal like Bergeron or Krejci if he sees how competitive LA is for winning a cup. Miller brings grit, firepower and some senior leadership to the team allowing them to go for a deep cup run this playoffs and for the next few.

Canucks do this to bring in additional assets for our retool. Although we just signed Miller to an extension, with him being a competitive guy, I think he will want to move on from Vancouver to a contender, and wouldn't be mad about the quality of life in Cali.

These trades allow Canucks to hold down our 2nd line centre spot, by subbing out JT Miller for Ryan Johansen, and allow Raaty and following centre prospects (2023 draft picks) to continue to develop.

In total, Canucks Ship out JT Miller and a 3rd Round Pick and receive:

2023 1st Rd Pick, Samuel Fagemo, Helge Grans, Zachary L'Hereux, 2023 2nd Rd Pick & Ryan Johansen (to be dealt at 2025 trade deadline for additional asset).

Edited by Shanghaii Owey Ice
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Miller is not what Blake calls an age fit in LA.  LA doesn't need help up front and this doesn't fix any of their roster issues - actually makes them worse as it's hard to see Miller a fit in their defence 1st system and it's not like they even have room for him.  This makes their cap situation much worse than simply burying Petersen in the minors.

Petersen has 2 years left while Miller has 7 + they can easily buyout Petersen in a year.

Edited by mll

Yeah, not sure LA does this.  Kopitar's still got a year and out of their treasure trove of prospects I'd assume that one of them could show promise as a top-6 C in the future.  Getting Miller for the long-term doesn't help them when they'll have kids coming off their ELCs and then they'll be cap-strapped.  

2 hours ago, mll said:

LA doesn't need help up front and this doesn't fix any of their roster issues - actually makes them worse as it's hard to see Miller a fit in their defence 1st system and it's not like they even have room for him.  This makes their cap situation much worse than simply burying Petersen in the minors.

Petersen has 2 years left while Miller has 7 + they can easily buyout Petersen in a year.

I get that LA Kings need a goalie, but their top 6 is nothing to write home about.  Two great two-way centers (35 and 30 years old) with one great winger (Fiala).  

They have flopped too many high picks that were supposed to be filling out their top 6.  

Still can't see this trade happening for those other reasons you outlined.  I do believe that our fans underrate JT Miller when juxtaposed against the opinions of the rest of the league. 

54 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I get that LA Kings need a goalie, but their top 6 is nothing to write home about.  Two great two-way centers (35 and 30 years old) with one great winger (Fiala).  

They have flopped too many high picks that were supposed to be filling out their top 6.  

Still can't see this trade happening for those other reasons you outlined.  I do believe that our fans underrate JT Miller when juxtaposed against the opinions of the rest of the league. 

It's not all that evident to compare a defensive vs an offensive team by looking at stats alone.  LA is a defensive team - they even had a promotional clip earlier in the season reminding how playing reliable defence is how they won their Cups.

LA is not trying to outscore their mistakes and definitely don't want to be a run and gun team.  Danault has been an excellent C2.  Fans in LA always talk of how he's been an incredible addition and praise Blake for that UFA signing.   Games are won by goal differential.  His line takes on the toughest matchups and limits the scoring of the opponents' best lines while forcing them to play defence and occasionally chipping in.  That equation works out well for LA where those top lines get neutered by the Danault line. They then use their depth to take advantage of the other lines.

They've had a fair bit of injuries this season and goaltending has not been up to par although Copley is now 15-3-1.  So it's not quite reflected on the scoresheet but that's still the reflection and why Danault as C2 is considerably more valuable than how some outside of their market perceive him.

Fiala btw plays on their 3rd line with their younger players.  He has limited chemistry with Kopitar.  They obviously aren't going to break up that Danault line that has been so important for them so he dropped to line 3.  He's currently playing with LIzotte and Anderson-Dolan (Vilardi is injured).  Earlier in the year he was with Kupari and Grundstrom - 2 other of their young players.

LA is being patient in the development of their young players.  Kempe took forever to break out.  Vilardi too.  Byfield was always going to be a long term project.  LA is not trying to run just yet.  If they wanted an NHL ready player they could have picked Stützle but instead took Byfield who was always considered several years away.  He's looking really solid on Kopitar's wing right now - both are playmakers but it's giving him the opportunity to learn the ropes.    

There is only one way the Canucks have a chance to get rid of Millers contract,thats the Islanders first over all.Teams won't even pick up the phone for anything less.Vancouver muight even have to retain for a couple years.If the sitution was flipped and I was the GM in Vancouver that would be my starting point for JT.