The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TDL - College - Draft - (proposal/ Discussion))

Just pondering what approach we should take to the offseason and what our prospect pool/ team sorely lacks. In my opinion the aim should be to address center, Two way defence (especially rhd) and add tough/gritty reliable two way players. 

So far:

__

OUT: Horvat (NYI) 

IN: Beauvillier, Raaty & top 12 protected 1st 2023 or unprotected 2024. 

TDL

Schenn:

market is strong for him and players like him notoriously get acquired for more than their actual worth. Boston,Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary all involved. 

Edm: Schenn

Van: Schaefer, 2nd 2023 and Salary dump. 

Really think there will be a bidding war for Schenn, this should drive up the price. Obviously want Holloway, but don't think that's possible. Schaefer I would say is a B rated prospect and adds a big bodied gritty winger to our prospect pool.  

Boeser: 

Wild: Boeser (w/15% retention $999,750 annual aav) 

Canucks: Lambos and 2nd round pick 2023 

After TDL: 

Beauvillier 

Raaty 

NYI 1st 2023 protected, 2024 unprotected

Schaefer 

Lambos 

2023 2nd round pick (Edm,Wild)

College Free Agents

Aiden Mcdonaugh & Jake Livingstone - both signed at end of college season and play out their first year of the entry level deal. 

Draft

We end up finishing bottom 4 and the Islanders end up missing the playoffs and sliding down a few spots (lots of teams have 2-4 games in hand on them). 

We end up breaking the curse and landing #2OA and islanders give us the 9th OA pick this year. 

Before the draft we make a trade: 

Columbus: Miller 

Van: Peeke, Sillinger and 3rd round pick 2023

Next is Myers: Myers is not going to get high level assets, but there should be at least a couple teams interested, based on not wanting to hand out long term lucrative contracts to players in UFA. 

Dallas: Myers (50% retention) 

Van: 3rd round pick 2024 

Recap

Out: Horvat, Boeser, Schenn, Miller, Myers

In: Beauvillier, Raaty, 9th OA 2023, Lambos, Schaefer, 2nd round pick 2023 (Edmonton, Wild), Mcdonaugh, Livingstone, Peeke, Sillinger, 3rd round pick 2023 (Columbus) 2024 (Dallas)

2nd OA - C/LW Pwf - Adam Fantilli - Guy is an instant impact on our team and changes the dynamic. 

9th OA - RW - Colby Barlow - two way power winger that has no problem scoring goals. 

Trade our 2 acquired 2nds for 24-26 and then we select. 

Charlie Stramel - C Pwf - the second youngest collegiate player and will have plenty of time to refine his game. 

Adam Gajan - G - committed to University of Minnesota - 6'4 big slender goalie. Gaa is okay, but his Save % is great. That says to me that he's facing high quality chances on the regular, but still making large quantities of saves. 

Review: 

Out: 

Horvat, Boeser, Schenn, Miller, Myers, 2nd round picks (Minnesota & Edmonton)

In: Beauvillier, Raaty, Fantilli, Barlow Lambos, Schaefer, Mcdonaugh, Livingstone, Peeke, Sillinger, Stramel & Gajan. 

Our team is most likely going to suck the following year, so we can continue to address our D in a draft year, stockpiled with High end Defenseman in 2024. 

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev 

Beauvillier - Fantilli - Garland 

Hoglander - Sillinger - Podkolzin 

Joshua - Lazar - Lockwood 

Hughes - Schenn (ufa)

OEL- Peeke

Rathbone - Livingstone 

Demko 

Martin 

Top Prospects: 

Mcdonaugh (AHL) 

Barlow 

Lekkerimaki 

Pettersson 

Lambos 

Raaty 

Stramel 

Gajan 

Schaefer 

Thoughts? 

Edited by KKnight

You can't take a salary cap dump if you are trading Schenn.

You can try to mitigate Boeser's cap hit by taking back cap.

I think there's an upper limit to what Schenn can get for you. He's valuable.

But we also need defenders who know how to defend.

And can help younger players learn how to defend.

I think Schenn is more valuable here than anything we can get for him. Unless a team is silly enough to offer a 1st rounder for him.

I was right with you until we got two top 10 picks and didn't take a defenceman.   Then I was out the door when you traded the 2nds and still didn't select a defenceman again!  I get that your plan is to acquire one, but we all know how that worked out for us in the past.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I was right with you until we got two top 10 picks and didn't take a defenceman.   Then I was out the door when you traded the 2nds and still didn't select a defenceman again!  I get that your plan is to acquire one, but we all know how that worked out for us in the past.

Yeah, but this draft doesn't have the top end like next years draft and we surely will land another top 10 pick Next year. Livingstone should help be a piece for this group. I just feel we might be reaching if we take a dman too early and this is about compiling the best talent we can. Simashev is intriguing, same with Dragecivic, but we all know how it looked when we reached for dman last time 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You can't take a salary cap dump if you are trading Schenn.

You can try to mitigate Boeser's cap hit by taking back cap.

I think there's an upper limit to what Schenn can get for you. He's valuable.

But we also need defenders who know how to defend.

And can help younger players learn how to defend.

I think Schenn is more valuable here than anything we can get for him. Unless a team is silly enough to offer a 1st rounder for him.

Nobody is saying Schenn couldn't sign back here this offseason. We will surely have enough cap space, with offloading Miller, Boeser and half of Myers salary. 

22 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I just feel we might be reaching if we take a dman too early and this is about compiling the best talent we can. 

I hear you,  but this sounds exactly like the plan that made us into one of the highest scoring, yet perennially lotto- pick teams in the league,  no?

We absolutely must prioritize needs at some point and this organization's prospect pool is completely devoid of skilled defenceman and two-way centerman.   

I'm not saying to pick a 20th ranked dman in the top 5, but if it's even close, imo you pass on the average sized European middle six nondescript winger and take the mobile defenceman with size for sure. 

37 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I hear you,  but this sounds exactly like the plan that made us into one of the highest scoring, yet perennially lotto- pick teams in the league,  no?

We absolutely must prioritize needs at some point and this organization's prospect pool is completely devoid of skilled defenceman and two-way centerman.   

I'm not saying to pick a 20th ranked dman in the top 5, but if it's even close, imo you pass on the average sized European middle six nondescript winger and take the mobile defenceman with size for sure. 

I hear you. I would hope we could acquire Simashev later in the draft. The top end of the draft is loaded with forwards. If at 9OA we have a shot at Barlow, Dvorsky, Yager, I would think those are no Brainer selections. 

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Or we could target Oliver Bonk for a later 1st, instead of Stramel.