The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Bo Horvat

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So it was all about the money clearly.

Hasn’t played a game for them but willing to sign an 8 year deal?

Thanks for all the memories but it was time to

move on.

Sadly I wonder if a deal could have been made last summer when management lowballed him with a 5.25 mill a year offer. If they came in or were willing to go around 7 mill for a 7-8 year contract he probably would have signed that. I mean nobody could have predicted quite this good of a season but his numbers were bound to go up a bit by not having to play with Pearson on his line anymore all season. He’s actually getting to play with good offensive producing players on a more regular basis. I would have guessed at least a 60 point season maybe 65. With everything he brings offering him 5.25 was such a slap to the face lol.

Edited by flickyoursedin

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

That doesn’t make any sense.  If it was about the money he would have just gone to free agency and made more from the highest bidder.

This seems like the opposite.  A team believed in him enough to trade for him, so he felt an obligation to sign a deal.

It makes perfect sense. He was offered what he hoped for in total dollars with the 8th year being the key. That’s the equivalent of $9.7M over 7 years. He wasn’t getting $10M in FA

• Vintage 1
  • elephant 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Still think that’s a garbage rumour.

No way they would have only offered him like an 600k raise.

Latest rumour had us at 7.5 x 7 and even that was pushing it.

I agree, I wouldn't doubt Bo started it himself. ::D

• RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

That doesn’t make any sense.  If it was about the money he would have just gone to free agency and made more from the highest bidder.

This seems like the opposite.  A team believed in him enough to trade for him, so he felt an obligation to sign a deal.

No, he wasn't getting $9m on the open market. This was definitely about the money lol. The Isles just matched what the highest bidder would've been, and added a year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wow good for Bo!

He maxed out there. I doubt he could have gotten more anywhere else.

I know Isles fans all think it was gonna be a win if he re-signed. But they’re in for an awakening when he’s not a 50 goal scorer every year.

or they look at the standings as the years of Bo's deal go by and they keep missing the last wild card spot and the Canucks keep trending into a winning team. Bo wanted to join a winner lol.

Islanders are old, few prospects of note coming, cannot compete in their division let alone will likely be falling short of wild card spots over the next half dozen years while the big boys maintain and Buffalo, Detroit, and Montreal start trending into Playoff teams. I wish Bo all the best, happy to see he got the financial security he wanted. But he is going to endure years of missing the Playoffs. He could have taken his pick on a half dozen good, I mean good teams in the offseason but what only got 7 years term ? he got his money but for his career it was a huge mistake on the ice.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

Every Islanders reporter is suggesting that from what ive seen. Insane commitment prior to ever seeing if the chemistry is there though lmao 

It's more money than I'd have been willing to give him and I wanted to keep him, 8M would have been my hard line imo. 7M would have been a bargain imo, I was arguing it'd have been fair back in September. 7.5-7.75M could have been livable. 

If Bo goes there and plays legit 1C minutes I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers got a bit of a boost from what they've been here tbh. He never had an opportunity to be one here, Henrik was 1C til he retired and the season after Pettersson stepped in and took off with a Calder winning season, it was pretty clear Pettersson was going to be the team's future 1C if he could put it all together and keep it going. 

I hope he has success over there, won't be surprised if he does. 

It'll be interesting to see what the folks painting him out as an "elephant" have to say if their envisioned "country club" continues going forward, they'll need a new scapegoat. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Still think that’s a garbage rumour.

No way they would have only offered him like an 600k raise.

Latest rumour had us at 7.5 x 7 and even that was pushing it.

I would have been happy with that deal. 

But that’s just a rumour. It’s possible Bo and his Agent wanted upwards of $8m per.