The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Bo Horvat

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So it was all about the money clearly.

Hasn’t played a game for them but willing to sign an 8 year deal?

Thanks for all the memories but it was time to

move on.

Agreed. But I'm perplexed why he didn't wait to see July 1 as a FA. He would he have received some other similar offers in better situations than Long Island. Why give up the hammer to sign there?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is more than an overpayment though.

An overpayment would have been our last offer of 7.5 x 7.

This is just drunken sailor money being thrown around. Which Lou is not normally known for.

He just be getting desperate.

I wonder how it will take before Bo is saying  his contract SUCKS! :lol:

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Congrats on the 64m payday to the contrat year play of Horvat, you are now the enemy though as you no longer play for the Canucks, best of luck enjoy your yearly snow storms haha!

$68 million to be precise. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • elephant 2

Just now, Jack Fig said:

Agreed. But I'm perplexed why he didn't wait to see July 1 as a FA. He would he have received some other similar offers in better situations than Long Island. Why give up the hammer to sign there?

He clearly wanted that 8th year.

Cant get that as a UFA. No way he could have made more than this as a free agent.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • elephant 1

It’s not like the Islanders have a brighter future than the Canucks atm. They just traded their best prospect to us along with a 1st and their roster is getting older with a limited window to win. Oh well, they backed up the brinks truck for Bo so looks like they’re doubling down on what they have. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

8.5 million reasons for 8 years, I suspect. 

Edited by Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's more money than I'd have been willing to give him and I wanted to keep him, 8M would have been my hard line imo. 7M would have been a bargain imo, I was arguing it'd have been fair back in September. 7.5-7.75M could have been livable. 

If Bo goes there and plays legit 1C minutes I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers got a bit of a boost from what they've been here tbh. He never had an opportunity to be one here, Henrik was 1C til he retired and the season after Pettersson stepped in and took off with a Calder winning season, it was pretty clear Pettersson was going to be the team's future 1C if he could put it all together and keep it going. 

I hope he has success over there, won't be surprised if he does. 

It'll be interesting to see what the folks painting him out as an "elephant" have to say if their envisioned "country club" continues going forward, they'll need a new scapegoat. 

Very interested to see how this pans out. Maybe only a top 9 winger but they still subtracted some scoring as well. This is a team who's at the bottom of goals for and PP... I don't think it's possible for one guy to fix that but you never know with the role he will play 

29 minutes ago, Devron said:

Bo is a family man. Security is important to him. Not just money but also knowing he doesn’t have to move his young family around the continent 

But he has to raise his family in NY, you can't tell me the money didn't trump everything else now that the details are out.  

Now that some time has passed and this is known, it was absolutely the best move to trade Bo.  When he's two or three years removed from his career year and playing like a 5.5-6m dollar player, there'll be no regrets I'm sure from either side. And yes, the same could probably be said about Miller regressing to a lower standard of regular play as we've sadly already seen.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Cause he doesn't care about winning, the money was the only real issue with him that's obvious.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Still think that’s a garbage rumour.

No way they would have only offered him like an 600k raise.

Latest rumour had us at 7.5 x 7 and even that was pushing it.

In the summer before Bo’s magnificent allstar season started the rumour was they offered him 5.25 mill a year. Then he got to play with some better offensive players this year (not Pearson lol) became over a point a game and then management came back offering more. Probably came back with the contract Bo’s agent was asking for in the summer lol. By then it was too late Bo’s agent knew then that they could get more and that deal wasn’t good enough anymore and management didn’t or couldn’t give him a deal 8+ mill a season.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

He clearly wanted that 8th year.

Cant get that as a UFA. No way he could have made more than this as a free agent.

Gotcha. 

I still would have waited it out. A little less jack to wind up in a better place would have been my thinking. He's already spent 9 years of his career largely in a losing situation 

4 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Because a comparable FA offer would be $9.7 x 7 years. He’s a mercenary.

• There it is 1
  • elephant 1

Guessing there's a lot of angry Islanders fans wanting Lou fired. But they don't know Bo yet, and once they do they'll like him. Pressure is now on Horvat to produce.

No way JR/PA were going to give Bo that deal, and I think I would've been angry if they did. Good trade for both sides really. They got the C now. VAN got the C of the future and a real good prospect coming soon.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1