The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] JT Miller or Bo Horvat? Who you got?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

JT Miller or Bo Horvat? Who you got?  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Honestly, if Tocchet can have a system where Miller plays better defensively than what Bruce allowed, JT Miller is better dollars. He has better speed, is more offensively dynamic and had more pushback, as well as passion. Sure he get whiney at times, but I’d rather have someone who whines a bit and wears real passion on his sleeve than Bo Horvat who displays no passion whatsoever. Horvat has been overrated in terms of his two-way game - his best +\- year is a +3, and he’s played like 7 seasons. He’s not as naturally skilled, and while he did become a beast in the play-ins / playoffs, he hasn’t shown enough of that to warrant the contract that he got.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, combover said:

if I had to keep one it would be the better more complete player so easily Horvat.

Exactly this.  Miller's laziness this season and diva attitude also really turned me off to him.  Some might chalk it up to be passion but when all JT does is talk but doesn't back it up with his play then I'd rather not have that.  Bubble playoffs aside, Horvat isn't exactly living up to the "Ryan O'Reilly" comparable at his draft, but if I were to build a team up the middle, I'd rather have defensive stability and relatively better 200-foot game so Petey can take the primary matchups whereas Bo takes the secondary (I also don't really trust Miller to center his own line given his defensive lapses).    

• Cheers 1

I like Miller's game better because he plays with more of an edge than Bo. He is a winger, who can play any situation and take draws as needed. PK, PP.

I am hoping now that Bo is gone. Miller can fill that void in his own way but also come to the understanding under Tocchet's guidance, that he needs to reign in his on ice antics (stick smashing, swearing) and try to let his play do the talking. 

I liked his contract from the outset but I was fooled into thinking the roster heading into the season would do some serious damage (challenge for the div lead). Now that we have a better idea as to what this team is and how much work is still to do, JT doesn't fit our timeline. If we can find a taker, I think Alvin should consider moving him out too. But then that would leave us super weak down the middle, now that JT will be our 2C here (so it seems).

Neither. I would actually have preferred to save that money and dole it out on a long term deal for a young prospect we may have obtained by trading both. (Eg. a Tage Thompson  type deal).
Alllllll long term cap dollars from now on should be reserved for EP and younger (with a real future) and/or a top pairing RHD

Trade them both. Bo got too much money despite being a better fit age-wise and Miller doesn't fit the timeline of what's looking more and more like a rebuild, regardless of which label management wants to apply to the process. 

We'd be better off having gotten returns and cap space for both players imo. I highly doubt we'll be anywhere near contention over the remainder of Miller's top years. 

Edited by Coconuts

I'd take JT but his lack of commitment to all areas of the game is disturbing. Personally I would be excited if we traded him too but we do need players in our top 6. Moving quality out isn't ideal if we are actually trying to win in the next 2-3 years.

If we opt to rebuild then I'd ship him out after we get him rolling again.   

Petey and Quinn couldn't establish themselves as leaders with Bo here. So it's obvious bo had to go for that reason alone. Imo. 

It's like having Kane, Toews and Keith being stuck behind someone slightly older, not as good, and who had control over your room. 

I saw bo getting moved out down the road the moment they made him captain. It was always going to be peteys team. I got a lot of flack for that opinion but I knew it would eventually come to pass. 

Perhaps some actual team success would have prevented that. But that didn't happen; so here we are.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'd take JT but his lack of commitment to all areas of the game is disturbing. Personally I would be excited if we traded him too but we do need players in our top 6. Moving quality out isn't ideal if we are actually trying to win in the next 2-3 years.

If we opt to rebuild then I'd ship him out after we get him rolling again.   

I agree.  If BO is at $8.5 million then Miller's contract is definitely moveable if he is at 70+ points.  He has a NMC however, so they would have to make a decision before July 1.

• Like 1

I voted to trade both but obviously ownership didn’t want to go that far down the rebuild path. 

As it stands, if Miller can hold his own as a 2C with some responsible two-way wingers we could be coming out ahead in the top 6.  Still a need to find a good 3C and fix the D, though.  Likely at least another year to get that done if it’s even possible.

• Like 1