The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll/Discussion] Do you buyout OEL?

Rate this topic

Odd.

OEL Buyout  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Where are you getting your profit figures from?

Using your logic no team would ever buy a player out. Since the buyout counts against the cap and the team has been consistently spending very close to it I can't see how it would affect the profits anyway. If a buyout makes a team better it makes sense from both a hockey and business sense to do. That said I hope they don't, OEL is overpaid but the dead cap from a buyout would be worse in the long run.

It's easy to find the profit and loss statements for any NHL org.     Some owners don't seem to care about it ... been awhile since ours did this though ... Ballard and Booth and those were freebies . 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, we’ve just switched head coaches and hired two former NHL Dmen to the coaching staff. Let’s see what they can do. I’m certainly not expecting miracles, but I do think that OEL can play better than he has.

We’ve also just started making the “major surgery” roster moves and unravelling some of the cap mess. Maybe management brings in some new Dmen, either to partner OEL, or allow the team to adjust how they use him.

I’m not opposed to having the options on the table, as far as using a buyout or retaining salary, but I’d rather wait.

If OEL can improve, and maybe puts together a strong season, he’ll be much easier to trade (assuming he’d waive the NMC). Or we can just keep him, if he’s effective.

But if he’s awful, and just keeps getting worse, then eventually it will be time to bite the bullet, and just do whatever it takes to get him off the team. I just think it’s too soon right now (and that buyout chart looks disgusting).

I think given that we are no longer competing this year and management has made it fairly obvious that we are unlikely to compete next year, any buyouts would just be blatantly stupid. I think Tocchet will rejuvenate garland and OEL and maybe some others. Brock has positive trade value still if we move on from him. Myers has one year left after this so salary retention is a cakewalk if we choose to move him after the season. A buyout would be useless. It’s funny to me that management made mention of possible buyouts this summer but I just don’t really see any logic in any buyouts and I don’t feel like there’s any real buyout candidates on the team. Maybe Poolman is the only one I can even think of but I assume if he’s not back he can just stay on LTIR like Ferland. 

it’ll be interesting if we get old OEL back. If he starts playing great hockey again, does he then become a prime trade piece or a keeper? I think in a weird way he’s our most intriguing player right now because we know he’s capable of great things from past experience. 

My preferred option isn't on the poll which is to ride it out for two more seasons and then buy him out when hopefully the team turns a corner and begins to get competitive again.

CapFriendly's buyout calculator only speaks to buy outs in the current year so I don't know the actual cost of this but in two years OEL will be paid 18 million in salary leaving 10 million over two years so I would think the hit may not be as bad.

Edited by GB5

6 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Aqua isn't going to pay someone $3 mill a year LOL good luck with that. 3 mill is like 10% of the Canucks entire annual profit, you will never get an owner to throw away 10% margin on a buy out get real.

You mean like the 5 years he paid gillis not to be here.

or the complete year he paid Travis green not to be here and jim Benning 

or maybe your referring to the non insured contract of furland.

he’d pay, because …….

7AB83092-ABF8-47E3-83FE-0AEAEABBE9C8.jpeg.9840cea414bce69ac54a05057856e7fa.jpeg

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL has a NMC, so the chances he agrees to a trade are almost zero unless Boston wants him, which I highly doubt they do even at 50% retention...

6 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I want to see what OEL does under Tocchet first and foremost. I think Tocchet has a shot of bringing back the best version of OEL, or close to it. If OEL continues to struggle I would rather try to move him with retention in the offseason if he’d waive. I hate buyouts. His buyout numbers aren’t horrendous but it’s not great either. Not worth it. If we don’t plan on competing next year, I’d even say ride him one more year. 

Tocchet was part of the reason for wanting a trade out of Arizona to begin with so he might be alright with waiving his NMC.

5 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Aqua isn't going to pay someone $3 mill a year LOL good luck with that. 3 mill is like 10% of the Canucks entire annual profit, you will never get an owner to throw away 10% margin on a buy out get real.

Aquilini has sat on money many times, Eriksson was basically sitting out. When a 6 million dollar player is demoted to third or fourth line duties and sat out that is sitting on a huge amount of money doing nothing. This happened with Ballard too.

Retention is also in the eye of the beholder, cap space saved for other players or the retention added to the value of an under player.

Weaponizing the cap is exactly what you are saying an owner will not do but it happens all the time with many teams, it is a "rich" team exercising it financial might to improve. Something that Aquilini can never be accused of not doing seeing as how this losing team has been capped out and ver the cap for years.

I have always been on the retention side of this argument but I also have been a little on OEL's side too. I ask you to think about the type of game he played that earned him that huge contract? He was an offensive defenceman not a defensive dman. I think he still has game, although his broken leg last summer may be bothering him but it could just be the state of the team, loser's, affecting his effort level. I have no doubt in another market he plays more into his role as an offensive dman.

Besides there isn't ANY defenceman depth to replace him, just like Myers, there are not replacements even close. Don't think Bear and Dermott will step in they were not good enough for other teams 5/6 spots. They are not bad and do have some upside but not to play against the other team's top lines and over 20 minutes a game yet.

AND

If the team is successful trading away more big money the team might need the cap hits for cap purposes.

It would be a stupid, stupid move. Even if he isn't worth his contract, he's a serviceable D man. If they buy out OEL, I may be out for awhile as a fan. Watching stupid move after stupid move is getting to me.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, GB5 said:

My preferred option isn't on the poll which is to ride it out for two more seasons and then buy him out when hopefully the team turns a corner and begins to get competitive again.

CapFriendly's buyout calculator only speaks to buy outs in the current year so I don't know the actual cost of this but in two years OEL will be paid 18 million in salary elavin 10 million over two years so I would think the hot may not be as bad.

You can pick out the year of buyout on CF.

Cap Hit Calculations
SEASON INITIAL BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT SIGNING BONUS BUYOUT COST POST-BUYOUT EARNINGS SAVINGS CAP HIT (Logo of the Vancouver CanucksVAN) CAP HIT (Logo of the Arizona CoyotesARI)
2025-26 $5,250,000 $8,250,000 $0 $1,750,000 $1,750,000 $3,500,000 $4,180,000 $570,000
2026-27 $5,250,000 $8,250,000 $0 $1,750,000 $1,750,000 $3,500,000 $4,180,000 $570,000
2027-28 $0 $0 $0 $1,750,000 $1,750,000 -$1,750,000 $1,540,000 $210,000
2028-29 $0 $0 $0 $1,750,000 $1,750,000 -$1,750,000 $1,540,000 $210,000
TOTAL $10,500,000 $16,500,000 $0 $7,000,000 $7,000,000 $3,500,000 $11,440,000 (88%) $1,560,000 (12%)
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

I can't think of a dumber move.  So I guess they'll be doing it.

Yip. And then Canuck luck has him signing somewhere on the cheap, and prospering. That, and watching Guenther, would be a gut shot I may not be able to recover from as a fan.

Edited by rekker

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

It would be a stupid, stupid move. Even if he isn't worth his contract, he's a serviceable D man. If they buy out OEL, I may be out for awhile as a fan. Watching stupid move after stupid move is getting to me.

Not to mention you then need a dman capable of playing 20 mins a night against the other teams top fwds and that doesn't come cheap........on top of what you pay OEL to play for a different team.  Tye stupidity of that move would be staggering

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Yip. And then Canuck luck has him signing somewhere on the cheap, and prospering. That, and watching Gauthier, would be a gut shot I may not be able to recover from as a fan.

Guenther you mean?  He just got sent back to Jr incidentally