The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Elias Pettersson Happy In Vancouver? | 32 Thoughts (Sportsnet)

Rate this topic

Canuck You

• Canuck You changed the title to Is Elias Pettersson Happy In Vancouver? | 32 Thoughts (Sportsnet)

I sometimes am amused with what fans think a player will say about the team they are contracted with.

With Petey the one tell was how long he looked for the right words when trying to answer some questions and some were loaded.

The "I love Vancouver" is one of the easiest questions to answer, a "canned" answer. Ever hear a player say anything different? Even do the exact words?

Horvat loved Vancouver it was his home, but now he loves the Islanders. He is happy to be there.

There is only one player that has said he wants out, that was Miller.

Is Petey happy? Sure he is, he has millions in the bank and gets paid to do something he loves.

Like most Euro's the Olympics are higher on the list of accomplishments but that could be because they only happen every other year wit a lot fewer teams in competition whereas the NHL is very (non) profit oriented.

Is Petey happy, yes and he will be happy if playing for another team too.

This is exactly why you don't give him the "C" for another year or so. It's not like he doesnt deserve it, or he wont be a good leader, its that he isn't ready yet.

He needs more time in the league. He needs to experience these ups and downs a few times to learn how to rebound on his own before he is responsible for leading other guys through it.

You know what inspires followers? Experience.

Petey just needs a bit more experience.

If Schenn is still here to start next year, he's got to be the "C". Teach the fellas all about team play, pack mentality, push back, inspiration on and off the ice. Then he can pass the torch to Petey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

I sometimes am amused with what fans think a player will say about the team they are contracted with.

With Petey the one tell was how long he looked for the right words when trying to answer some questions and some were loaded.

The "I love Vancouver" is one of the easiest questions to answer, a "canned" answer. Ever hear a player say anything different? Even do the exact words?

Horvat loved Vancouver it was his home, but now he loves the Islanders. He is happy to be there.

Is Petey happy? Sure he is, he has millions in the bank and gets paid to do something he loves.

Like most Euro's the Olympics are higher on the list of accomplishments but that could be because they only happen every other year wit a lot fewer teams in competition whereas the NHL is very (non) profit oriented.

When did he say he wants out?

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

When did Miller ever say he wants out ?

First I am hearing of this, he even took by his camp's words a pay cut to stay in Vancouver long term, he left money on the table by several accounts.

• Vintage 2
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

56 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

This is what I've been saying for a while. Petey just isn't the type to stand in front of the microphone and give it his all after a loss. Quinn is that guy, he can be the face of the franchise. I could easily see a world where Hughes is the leader off the ice and Petey is the leader on the ice. 

I think Petey would make a a good captain, but I could see Hughes being the right choice.

Most of our captains have been soft-spoken.  Even Linden, who was great in front of a mic but not actually the boisterous type.  If you're looking for a leader who is vocal on the ice and to the media, the obvious choice here is J.T. Miller.  But I'm not sure if the fans have been happy with his interviews this year.  

Quinn Hughes is an interesting suggestion.  I can't hear his voice in my mind, so that means he hasn't had a lot of post-game interviews.  But he is a surprisingly candid speaker in front of the media.  He gets along with them (and the fans) much better than Miller does.  Kinda actually reminds me of Linden's interview style a bit.  But is he a leader on the ice?  We shall see.

6 minutes ago, billabong said:

i haven’t listened to the full clip yet so it may be out of context but it is an interesting sub quote

This is going to be a major issue if management doesn't move Miller. There's no way a guy like Miller will follow Petey and give him the full respect and support he would need. Miller has just too much ego and emotion.

Really hoping we can find a way to move Miller at this TDL.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

4 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Most of our captains have been soft-spoken.  Even Linden, who was great in front of a mic but not actually the boisterous type.  If you're looking for a leader who is vocal on the ice and to the media, the obvious choice here is J.T. Miller.  But I'm not sure if the fans have been happy with his interviews this year.  

Quinn Hughes is an interesting suggestion.  I can't hear his voice in my mind, so that means he hasn't had a lot of post-game interviews.  But he is a surprisingly candid speaker in front of the media.  He gets along with them (and the fans) much better than Miller does.  Kinda actually reminds me of Linden's interview style a bit.  But is he a leader on the ice?  We shall see.

Soft spoken isn't really what I'm referring too. When I listen to Petey post game in a loss he can be short, clearly frustrated, and just simply doesn't play the medias game well. Like it or not, that's a large part of what a captain does, they are the face of the franchise. Petey could certainly grow into it, but right now I'm not confident Petey would be the one I would parade out each night when the team is going through a rough patch.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

This is exactly why you don't give him the "C" for another year or so. It's not like he doesnt deserve it, or he wont be a good leader, its that he isn't ready yet.

He needs more time in the league. He needs to experience these ups and downs a few times to learn how to rebound on his own before he is responsible for leading other guys through it.

You know what inspires followers? Experience.

Petey just needs a bit more experience.

If Schenn is still here to start next year, he's got to be the "C". Teach the fellas all about team play, pack mentality, push back, inspiration on and off the ice. Then he can pass the torch to Petey.

Yep. He still has some areas of the game that he needs to work on and letting him focus on improving and be as complete a player as he can be is more important than wasting time answering to the media after games and practices.

Couple more seasons, maybe when he is 27 and have signed an 8 year deal, that's the time to slap on the C on his sweater.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

The captain answer is interesting, the press stuff is not something he really wants. I think he can be more of the on-ice leader.

That was the initial answer, I thought the follow-up was interesting. He'd want it to be the right decision. Shows he doesn't take it lightly, which is good. 

One thing I don't really get is anyone's concern regarding language, English isn't his first language but he's very articulate. He communicates just fine, he'll likely never be fluent with English the way someone whose primarily language is English will be. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, billabong said:

i haven’t listened to the full clip yet so it may be out of context but it is an interesting sub quote

Basically that Petey and other players are aware of Miller's outbursts. And they just try to spin it off positively, as "desire to win" so as to not give the hyenas, I mean the media, something to chew on.

But come on, we all know what it's like to have an older guy on the team who acts like a child. It's embarrassing.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, jyu said:

He chose Olympics ahead of Stanley cup. Interesting.

It seems like the European hockey players consider Olympic gold at the same level as Stanley cup?

Higher, for a lot of European players playing for their country trumps everything. 

And I mean, most people won't care about it but he makes another good point, the Olympics have been around a helluva lot longer than the cup. Lot of history there. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

This is what I've been saying for a while. Petey just isn't the type to stand in front of the microphone and give it his all after a loss. Quinn is that guy, he can be the face of the franchise. I could easily see a world where Hughes is the leader off the ice and Petey is the leader on the ice. 

I think Petey would make a a good captain, but I could see Hughes being the right choice.

I could see Quinn doing it, he's got an interesting personality. 

• Cheers 1