The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Elias Pettersson Happy In Vancouver? | 32 Thoughts (Sportsnet)

Rate this topic

Canuck You

19 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

When did he say he wants out?

Petey said he would see where the team is when asked about his newly signed 3 year contract, that he wants to play on a playoff team in the playoffs. Look it up I have the basic wording but could be out a bit. It is out there.

Miller said he wanted out right after the bubble, he had to retract that quickly over the next few days. That same time Horvat stated he was tired of all the losing. Both knew that that many players on that team would be gone the next year the team was so far over the cap.

Get Miller at the right time and he will just shut up, not exactly an endorsement.

Just now, Coconuts said:

I could see Quinn doing it, he's got an interesting personality. 

Quinn comes from such a great hockey family, so I could see him getting it. He's great with the media, and Petey is great on the ice. Then let Miller yell at the refs and OEL, well, I don't know what his role is.

49 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

This is exactly why you don't give him the "C" for another year or so. It's not like he doesnt deserve it, or he wont be a good leader, its that he isn't ready yet.

He needs more time in the league. He needs to experience these ups and downs a few times to learn how to rebound on his own before he is responsible for leading other guys through it.

You know what inspires followers? Experience.

Petey just needs a bit more experience.

If Schenn is still here to start next year, he's got to be the "C". Teach the fellas all about team play, pack mentality, push back, inspiration on and off the ice. Then he can pass the torch to Petey.

Schenn would be a better short-term option than Miller, particularly if they plan on keeping Miller around for most of his contract. Schenn is more likely a shorter term asset, the timing would line up perfectly.

Plus, then you wouldn't get the noise that comes with taking the captaincy away from one roster player to give it to another. 

If Pettersson or Hughes is the guy they see as being captain a few years away Schenn makes for the perfect stopgap. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

and there it is.

I've been worried about Petey's thoughts on Miller and what impact it'll have on him wanting to stay, but I got a strong sense in the interview that he gets it - Miller can be a hot-head, but he wants to win so badly, and I think Petey truly does respect him for it. 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Higher, for a lot of European players playing for their country trumps everything. 

And I mean, most people won't care about it but he makes another good point, the Olympics have been around a helluva lot longer than the cup. Lot of history there. 

What?

The cup was first awarded in 1893 while the first ice hockey Olympic event was in 1920. 

What give Olympics more weight is that it is only awarded once every 4 years compared to the yearly awarding of the cup. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Higher, for a lot of European players playing for their country trumps everything. 

And I mean, most people won't care about it but he makes another good point, the Olympics have been around a helluva lot longer than the cup. Lot of history there. 

If you are talking about Olympics from ancient Greece, yes.

The winter olympics as we know was around since 1924. Cup was established in 1893 (source: Wikipedia).

But I guess growing up in Europe, it's probably hard to be imagining yourself winning the Stanley Cup.

Either way, it was a very interesting take on the importance of the Olympics. The players must hate Bettman so much.

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

What?

The cup was first awarded in 1893 while the first ice hockey Olympic event was in 1920. 

What give Olympics more weight is that it is only awarded once every 4 years compared to the yearly awarding of the cup. 

I'm talking the Olympics as in from ancient times, where do you think the name comes from? 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

I've been worried about Petey's thoughts on Miller and what impact it'll have on him wanting to stay, but I got a strong sense in the interview that he gets it - Miller can be a hot-head, but he wants to win so badly, and I think Petey truly does respect him for it. 

I'd give Miller 1 or 2 years max to change his behavior before other players want him gone. They can spin it off as a desire to win now but if his actions don't support it, it's going to be hard for them to tolerate that sort of behavior.

Nobody wants to play with a 30+ year old man-child throwing f*ck bombs so loud that it can be heard in the stands and TV. No one wants to play with a 30+ year old throwing the 4th line under the bus but never himself.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

a dressing room is made up of all kinds of personalities, no doubt, and you learn how to navigate those personalities.  However, sme personalities are hard to manage over the long term, especially the unpredictable, volatiile ones.  As Petey comes into his prime and the team becomes his, I see a lot of friction between him and Miller.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Quinn comes from such a great hockey family, so I could see him getting it. He's great with the media, and Petey is great on the ice. Then let Miller yell at the refs and OEL, well, I don't know what his role is.

He's the scapegoat of last resort because it's more likely than not he won't be moved any time soon 

When in doubt there's always OEL to fuss about 

1 minute ago, jyu said:

I'd give Miller 1 or 2 years max to change his behavior before other players want him gone. They can spin it off as a desire to win now but if his actions don't support it, it's going to be hard for them to tolerate that sort of behavior.

Nobody wants to play with a 30+ year old man-child throwing f*ck bombs so loud that it can be heard in the stands and TV. No one wants to play with a 30+ year old throwing the 4th line under the bus but never himself.

too late, he has an NTC

Just now, Coconuts said:

I'm talking the Olympics as in from ancient times, where do you think the name comes from? 

Oh going back to ancient history. I get it but I personally don't equate it back that long for an ice sport when the ancient Olympics are in Greece where you would see zero snow or ice. 

1 minute ago, jyu said:

The new coaching staff has a good chance of helping Miller rein in his "passion". I'm with you, though, as Miller's attitude wears thin quickly. But, at the same time, I'm betting him and the team have had lots of conversations about it and he and them know where they all stand with it, and that they all know he's going to keep trying to rein it in. However, I agree that he better learn sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's the scapegoat of last resort because it's more likely than not he won't be moved any time soon 

When in doubt there's always OEL to fuss about 

Thankfully, our scapegoat is OEL and not Eriksson anymore. At least OEL can still play hockey and has room to still get back to a glimmer of his former self. 

• There it is 2

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

The new coaching staff has a good chance of helping Miller rein in his "passion". I'm with you, though, as Miller's attitude wears thin quickly. But, at the same time, I'm betting him and the team have had lots of conversations about it and he and them know where they all stand with it, and that they all know he's going to keep trying to rein it in. However, I agree that he better learn sooner rather than later. 

the odds that Tocchet is the coach who finally gets to Miller is probably pretty slim.  IN fact, I can see a lot of friction between them because they are similar in personality and there's not enough room for multiple personalities like that on a team