The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Elias Pettersson Happy In Vancouver? | 32 Thoughts (Sportsnet)

Rate this topic

Canuck You

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Thankfully, our scapegoat is OEL and not Eriksson anymore. At least OEL can still play hockey and has room to still get back to a glimmer of his former self. 

though I hate RT, I'm hopefulhe's going to bring in some structure.  Really, that's the biggest issue with the dcorp

12 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

Petey said he would see where the team is when asked about his newly signed 3 year contract, that he wants to play on a playoff team in the playoffs. Look it up I have the basic wording but could be out a bit. It is out there.

Miller said he wanted out right after the bubble, he had to retract that quickly over the next few days. That same time Horvat stated he was tired of all the losing. Both knew that that many players on that team would be gone the next year the team was so far over the cap.

Get Miller at the right time and he will just shut up, not exactly an endorsement.

Can’t find anything on Miller ever wanting out, I think you have him confused with another player.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Quinn comes from such a great hockey family, so I could see him getting it. He's great with the media, and Petey is great on the ice. Then let Miller yell at the refs and OEL, well, I don't know what his role is.

End of year availability last year really put a seed into my brain that Hughes was this teams vocal captain and heart. Boeser was having a hell of a time when asked about his Pa and got very clearly upset. Hughes jumped in and took over the questions with zero hesitation. That wasn't hockey, that was Quinn being a fundamentally good person and being a strong leader. 

Petey does it on the ice, Hughes does it off the ice. That's a hell of a 1/2 punch in the leadership committee.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Schenn would be a better short-term option than Miller, particularly if they plan on keeping Miller around for most of his contract. Schenn is more likely a shorter term asset, the timing would line up perfectly.

Plus, then you wouldn't get the noise that comes with taking the captaincy away from one roster player to give it to another. 

If Pettersson or Hughes is the guy they see as being captain a few years away Schenn makes for the perfect stopgap. 

I'm in complete agreement.

The only tough part is that Schenn does have value at the TDL and could net a higher return than expected.

Really tough call on what to do. There are benefits to keeping him and benefits to moving him.

But my vote is to keep him, sign him for 2 years and give him the C. UNLESS some a playoff bound team does something crazy desperate like offers a late 1st for him.  But very very unlikely 

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Oh going back to ancient history. I get it but I personally don't equate it back that long for an ice sport when the ancient Olympics are in Greece where you would see zero snow or ice. 

Doesn't matter, that's where the games stem from hence the history. Like I said, most people won't care about it but it is interesting. 

They even stuck with the every four years bit like the ancient Olympics. 

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

I'm in complete agreement.

The only tough part is that Schenn does have value at the TDL and could net a higher return than expected.

Really tough call on what to do. There are benefits to keeping him and benefits to moving him.

But my vote is to keep him, sign him for 2 years and give him the C. UNLESS some a playoff bound team does something crazy desperate like offers a late 1st for him.  But very very unlikely 

I'm fine with moving him for the right price, I'm also fine with keeping him 

He'd be a good short-term captain though

Mind you I'm also fine just giving the captaincy to Pettersson or Hughes, if the envision one of those guys doing it I don't see a stopgap as necessary

Pettersson will be 25 in November, he's not a young buck anymore 

Hughes will be 24 in October, he ain't a fresh faced rookie either 

Several guys who are currently captain got the captaincy while younger, it's not uncommon by any stretch nowadays 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

the odds that Tocchet is the coach who finally gets to Miller is probably pretty slim.  IN fact, I can see a lot of friction between them because they are similar in personality and there's not enough room for multiple personalities like that on a team

Maybe he can't, but if not, maybe he tells Allvin to trade him before July :)

6 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

End of year availability last year really put a seed into my brain that Hughes was this teams vocal captain and heart. Boeser was having a hell of a time when asked about his Pa and got very clearly upset. Hughes jumped in and took over the questions with zero hesitation. That wasn't hockey, that was Quinn being a fundamentally good person and being a strong leader. 

Petey does it on the ice, Hughes does it off the ice. That's a hell of a 1/2 punch in the leadership committee.

Yup, same - that was the moment where Hughes stepped up, as well as with his Pearson comments. I just hope they don't give it to Petey simply because he's the best player. He's not a media guy. Give him an A, keep the pressure off him, and let him do his thing. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Maybe he can't, but if not, maybe he tells Allvin to trade him before July :)

Yup, same - that was the moment where Hughes stepped up, as well as with his Pearson comments. I just hope they don't give it to Petey simply because he's the best player. He's not a media guy. Give him an A, keep the pressure off him, and let him do his thing. 

I have no issues with Hughes as a player, but I've yet to see an interview where I haven't thought "they need to keep this kid away from a microphone"

Really, they should just give it to OEL or Schenn if he stays.  OEL has plenty of NHL experience as a C and SChenn is the only one who will stand up to Miller

Edited by stawns

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

What a guy :)

1 hour ago, IRR said:

Was already one of my all time favourite players, but how can you not like him more & more after things like this. I hope he’s here for his whole career! 

Great interview. Great guy. Smart, tactful, comes across as honest and thoughtful. If he doesn't want to answer some question he just says he doesn't want to answer instead of making up some bs the way a lot of guys do. I think he would be the best bet for captain. I see him as being similar to Henrik,

The most interesting answer was his response to the Miller question. He is obviously not all that positive about Miller. He said that he respects Miller but that they have had some differences.  That is about as much negativity as you would ever get from a guy like Pettersson. On the other hand, Petey obviously really likes Bo.

It was also interesting that he chose Schenn as the guy who deserves more attention. Obviously Petey really likes guys who work hard all the time (Schenn, Bo) and is not so happy about guys who play hard only when they feel like it (Miller).

There was no way the Canucks could retain both Miller and Horvat and it looks like they made the wrong choice. Just hope they can keep Petey. 

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

I have no issues with Hughes as a player, but I've yet to see an interview where I haven't thought "they need to keep this kid away from a microphone"

Really, they should just give it to OEL or Schenn if he stays.  OEL has plenty of NHL experience as a C and SChenn is the only one who will stand up to Miller

Interesting, as I've always thought the opposite with Hughes and the Media. Calm demeanor and doesn't get rattled. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Interesting, as I've always thought the opposite with Hughes and the Media. Calm demeanor and doesn't get rattled. 

he doesn't seem very smart or well spoken in any way to me.  Everytime I see him talk to a reporter, I cringe.  

• Wat 1

So, let's try a different Headline...

"IS Canadian and Vancouver Media SOOOOOOO desperate for revenue and clicks that they will invent stories out of absolutely NOTHING, just to get you on their site?"

It's not just Daily Hive etc, its ALL Canadian media are desperate for viewers and ad revenue, and misleading headlines are the only way they can do it.

Pretty much all Canadian media sports reporting is barely one notch above the National Inquirer...

• RoughGame 1

Great interview. He seemed pretty confident in his answer that he likes Vancouver, but he's also been quoted before saying that he "wants to win". So I think he's willing to see the retool through, though if it is unsuccessful I imagine he will look to move on. 

He seemed slightly guarded in the questions about JT and thought heavily about the responses he gave. To me, that shows either he is being honest and wanted to be careful not to say anything that could cause a problem, OR that he isn't being honest, and actually has an issue with JT. My guess is that it's somewhere in between.

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Most of our captains have been soft-spoken.  Even Linden, who was great in front of a mic but not actually the boisterous type.  If you're looking for a leader who is vocal on the ice and to the media, the obvious choice here is J.T. Miller.  But I'm not sure if the fans have been happy with his interviews this year.  

Quinn Hughes is an interesting suggestion.  I can't hear his voice in my mind, so that means he hasn't had a lot of post-game interviews.  But he is a surprisingly candid speaker in front of the media.  He gets along with them (and the fans) much better than Miller does.  Kinda actually reminds me of Linden's interview style a bit.  But is he a leader on the ice?  We shall see.

QH mishandled his "mishandled" comment on TP, creating a media firestorm that required JR to have press conference with two team drs and attracted a NHLPA investigation.  Probably not a good idea as a captain.  Candid comments isn't what the team needs when facing the media.  Linden is diplomatic in his answers, and he clearly is thinking about how it can be spun as, even now after he left the Canucks (watch his most recent interview).

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

and there it is.

Maybe there is something there and maybe there isn’t but one thing I have noticed over the last year or so is how Miller and petey have played very little together 5 on 5 when previously they were stapled together….and in that time petey was flourished 

Even if both are centers now and with all the line juggling they’ve done both Bruce and tochet (albeit it’s only been a couple games) they haven’t played much together 

• There it is 1