The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Elias Pettersson Happy In Vancouver? | 32 Thoughts (Sportsnet)

Rate this topic

Canuck You

2 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

This is what I've been saying for a while. Petey just isn't the type to stand in front of the microphone and give it his all after a loss. Quinn is that guy, he can be the face of the franchise. I could easily see a world where Hughes is the leader off the ice and Petey is the leader on the ice. 

I think Petey would make a a good captain, but I could see Hughes being the right choice.

Nah I doubt Quinn wants to do it either. Honestly nobody would want to answer the dumb and repetitive questions from the press after each loss. You don’t need a leader to face the press, u just need a spokesperson. 

12 minutes ago, Petterson649 said:

Nah I doubt Quinn wants to do it either. Honestly nobody would want to answer the dumb and repetitive questions from the press after each loss. You don’t need a leader to face the press, u just need a spokesperson. 

Maybe some one like Pamela Anderson :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, billabong said:

i haven’t listened to the full clip yet so it may be out of context but it is an interesting sub quote

I can tell you for free if Miller was traded and they were both at the All star game there'd be no chatter about scoring one last goal. Miller would probably head-shot Petey. Must be a real piece of work to play with for better or worse.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

Petey said he would see where the team is when asked about his newly signed 3 year contract, that he wants to play on a playoff team in the playoffs. Look it up I have the basic wording but could be out a bit. It is out there.

Miller said he wanted out right after the bubble, he had to retract that quickly over the next few days. That same time Horvat stated he was tired of all the losing. Both knew that that many players on that team would be gone the next year the team was so far over the cap.

Get Miller at the right time and he will just shut up, not exactly an endorsement.

Googled "Miller wants out of Vancouver" and this is the first 4 things that pop up,

J.T. Miller on why he wants to be in Vancouver, the Canucks ...

https://canucksarmy.com › news › jt-miller-vancouver-...

When Miller first arrived in Vancouver after a draft day trade with the Tampa Bay Lightning, the expectation was that he'd play out the remaining three years of ...

Canucks JT Miller Comes Clean; Wants to Stay in VAN

https://www.vancouverhockeynow.com › 2022/08/12

Aug 12, 2022 — JT Miller appeared on a podcast and reiterated his desire to play for the Vancouver Canucks, realizing the challenges that might prevent it.

J.T. Miller will not ask for trade, has no intention of leaving ...

https://www.sportsnet.ca › nhl › article › j-t-miller-will-...

May 22, 2021 — Miller's exact comment: 'No, he does not want to be traded. He does not want to leave. He wants to be a Vancouver Canuck. He has no intentions ...

Canucks: J.T. Miller loves Vancouver, never asked for trade ...

https://theprovince.com › sports › canucks-j-t-miller-lo...

May 24, 2021 — Miller's exact comment: 'No, he does not want to be traded. He does not want to leave. He wants to be a Vancouver Canuck. He has no intentions ...

If you have some link to Miller asking out, please  post it.  Because it seems highly unlikely that any GM, even Alvin/JR would sign such a lucrative contract for a player who was asking out only a couple of seasons ago.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think this is a classic case of Canucks fans reading too much into things.

He was probably just caught off guard that they were asking questions about Miller. Kind of random thing to ask in an interview.

Petey still struggles in interviews you can tell. I can see the wheels turning in his head. I don’t know if he’s just translating Swedish to English or he’s just really focused on saying the right thing.

It’s obvious they’re not best friends. They don’t need to be though. Henrik and Kesler definitely weren’t best friends.

It's nice to come into this thread again and see a rational, sane, and grounded response. Couldn't agree more! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, Petterson649 said:

It's literally the captain's job. He's the one that talks to the refs, he's the go between of players and management, he's the face of the team when the press needs someone to talk to. You need your leader to be comfortable doing that in a Canadian market.

Also, I'm 100% sure Hughes would take the C if we was offered the position. I'm sure nearly every player would step up and captain a Canadian franchise if called upon. Is it stupid that they have to stand and answer those questions, yeah sure. Even the media talks about how they feel has asking the same questions over and over after a loss, but it's their job. As much as some people complain about the media in Vancouver, the complaining means they are still doing their job. The media wouldn't exist at the level it does if fans across the franchise didn't lap it up as much as they do.

I do find he incredibly interesting that every time Petey is asked about it he dances the question more or less.

1 hour ago, billabong said:

Maybe there is something there and maybe there isn’t but one thing I have noticed over the last year or so is how Miller and petey have played very little together 5 on 5 when previously they were stapled together….and in that time petey was flourished 

Even if both are centers now and with all the line juggling they’ve done both Bruce and tochet (albeit it’s only been a couple games) they haven’t played much together 

Particularly when you pair that with Bruce's reasoning of playing Petey with Hoggy saying "they are good friend". Bruce clearly tried to pair guys together based off personal preference. 

54 minutes ago, Petterson649 said:

Honestly, OEL is the best option.  He's mature, well spoken and has plenty of C experience

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think this is a classic case of Canucks fans reading too much into things.

He was probably just caught off guard that they were asking questions about Miller. Kind of random thing to ask in an interview.

Petey still struggles in interviews you can tell. I can see the wheels turning in his head. I don’t know if he’s just translating Swedish to English or he’s just really focused on saying the right thing.

It’s obvious they’re not best friends. They don’t need to be though. Henrik and Kesler definitely weren’t best friends.

I somewhat agree there.  I've played on all kinds of teams and you definitely have people you don't care for but manage for the team's sake.  That said, I've played with a lot of Miller's and they can be tough to look the other way with over the long term.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

I somewhat agree there.  I've played on all kinds of teams and you definitely have people you don't care for but manage for the team's sake.  That said, I've played with a lot of Miller's and they can be tough to look the other way with over the long term.

Tough when you’re losing sure. The “fire” and yelling at other guys just becomes irritating when they’re not performing themselves.

When you’re winning though those guys drive the bus and get the team fired up.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Tough when you’re losing sure. The “fire” and yelling at other guys just becomes irritating when they’re not performing themselves.

When you’re winning though those guys drive the bus and get the team fired up.

losing makes it worse, absolutely.  Winning doesn't make it a whole lot better, in my experience, after you've gone through a rough patch because you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop and it puts everyone on edge.  We'll see how RT manages Miller and how willing Petey is to deal with it long term when it comes time to re-up

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

losing makes it worse, absolutely.  Winning doesn't make it a whole lot better, in my experience, after you've gone through a rough patch because you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop and it puts everyone on edge.  We'll see how RT manages Miller and how willing Petey is to deal with it long term when it comes time to re-up

Yea I can see that.

Ideally we get to the point where we have a good enough roster that worrying about losing isn’t an issue.

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

the odds that Tocchet is the coach who finally gets to Miller is probably pretty slim.  IN fact, I can see a lot of friction between them because they are similar in personality and there's not enough room for multiple personalities like that on a team

I can totally see yelling matches between Tocchet and Miller