The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Elias Pettersson Happy In Vancouver? | 32 Thoughts (Sportsnet)

Rate this topic

Canuck You

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

I do know the difference ... it happens all the time on the ice. Just not as visible as Miller. 

I've played with some major aholes in my lfe, no one has done anything like that on the ice that I can remember.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I don't think management will allow that to happen...

and secondly Miller himself actually came forward to Tocchet and said, he hope Tocchet could help him learn to control his emotions. 

Will it work? Who knows, but I think its a better start, than he is given credit for....

I'm not in the habit of giving this management group much credit - but one has to think that they wouldn't knowingly create a power-struggle in the locker room by choosing a head coach that they knew would butt heads with their newly extended 'emotional leader'.  This franchise is already under a lot of pressure and their own management group under the microscope recently - one would think they wouldn't deliberately create additional issues for themselves or the players/coaches.  JR has a history with Tocchet - he knows his style well, by now he should have 'some' idea of how Miller conducts himself both on/off the ice - why would JR put gas on a fire under his own roof?  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I'm not in the habit of giving this management group much credit - but one has to think that they wouldn't knowingly create a power-struggle in the locker room by choosing a head coach that they knew would butt heads with their newly extended 'emotional leader'.  This franchise is already under a lot of pressure and their own management group under the microscope recently - one would think they wouldn't deliberately create additional issues for themselves or the players/coaches.  JR has a history with Tocchet - he knows his style well, by now he should have 'some' idea of how Miller conducts himself both on/off the ice - why would JR put gas on a fire under his own roof?  

I honestly think this group didn't have a real understanding of the dynamics and personalities of this roster when they signed Miller.  When it came time for a new coach, I think they didn't have a lot of options and went with a coach that they think wouldn't take Miller's sh!t.  That's a bold move, we'll see if it pays off.

2 hours ago, Muttley said:

Quinn Hughes seems to know instinctively what to say and when to say it. Not sure that makes him the prime candidate to wear the C next but I think he's be my choice.

There would be no problem with Pettersson taking that role though, as he's far better at relaying something he sort of has rehearsed in his mind. No one else on this team I'd consider other then these two. 

The issue with Petey is he's uncomfortable being asked questions, so when that intensifies with being the captain, it could have a damaging effect on him, professionally and personally. He's an introvert, so let him be his introverted self and play hockey and lead on the ice. 

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see Miller ever letting Petey being the big dog at the water bowl.  Imo, Miller sees this as his team now.

I also think he probably believes he has enough power to either run RT out of town if there's conflict or that he can out wait him until RT is let go.  I don't see RT and Miller co-existing long term here

Miller respected Bruce, so I don't see why he wouldn't respect RT. RT commands a lot of respect in the hockey world. I think Miller truly does want to be better at controlling his fire, and I think RT is the guy to do it. Bruce was too easy on him. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I honestly think this group didn't have a real understanding of the dynamics and personalities of this roster when they signed Miller.  When it came time for a new coach, I think they didn't have a lot of options and went with a coach that they think wouldn't take Miller's sh!t.  That's a bold move, we'll see if it pays off.

Could very well be. 

They've been guilty of grossly misjudging several things in the past (their ability to get BoHo signed, their ability to re-structure the defence, how close this franchise was to being a regular PO team, the depth of moves necessary to redirect this franchise ie. small changes vs. MAJOR surgery,  ect....). 

Wouldn't surprise me completely if they miscalculated and this whole thing blows up in their faces - but I would hope they're more competent than that, you just never know with this group? 

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've played with some major aholes in my lfe, no one has done anything like that on the ice that I can remember.

That pales in comparison to so many things we've seen. It's not really that bad  but certainly made worse by the spotlight of sanctimonious media, wannabe media, and social media. 

34 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Well, there was this one time where he and Luke Schenn were jawing at each other heading into the intermission... with Garland (!?) being the in-between to keep 'em separated... :ph34r:

Garland is a great guy to have in the room, I think everyone likes the lil elf ^_^

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That pales in comparison to so many things we've seen. It's not really that bad  but certainly made worse by the spotlight of sanctimonious media, wannabe media, and social media. 

For example?

9 hours ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

Horvat loved Vancouver it was his home, but now he loves the Islanders. He is happy to be there.

There is only one player that has said he wants out, that was Miller.

Is Petey happy? Sure he is, he has millions in the bank and gets paid to do something he loves.

In your dreams or just mysterious voices in your head? I never once heard him say he wanted out. I did hear him say he wanted to stay in Vancouver several times in interviews before he re-signed though. If he actually wanted out he'd have simply demanded a trade or just waited for free agency. He wouldn't sign a 7 year extension just for giggles.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I can tell you that there aren't many successful teams that have a player that yell at other players in the middle of a game.

I remember Kesler and Bieksa going at it coming off the ice and it continued on the bench. And they were good friends. I'm old enough to remember players dropping the gloves and chucking knuckles in practice and then laughing about it in interviews afterwards. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Soft spoken isn't really what I'm referring too. When I listen to Petey post game in a loss he can be short, clearly frustrated, and just simply doesn't play the medias game well. Like it or not, that's a large part of what a captain does, they are the face of the franchise. Petey could certainly grow into it, but right now I'm not confident Petey would be the one I would parade out each night when the team is going through a rough patch.

Pettersson as a leader would be just like Markus Naslund, and that's perfectly fine.  They both mumble their words, whether they're in a good mood or a grumpy mood.  But they've both been the center of media attention by virtue of being the best skaters on the team.

10 hours ago, Jaimito said:

QH mishandled his "mishandled" comment on TP, creating a media firestorm that required JR to have press conference with two team drs and attracted a NHLPA investigation.  Probably not a good idea as a captain.  Candid comments isn't what the team needs when facing the media.  Linden is diplomatic in his answers, and he clearly is thinking about how it can be spun as, even now after he left the Canucks (watch his most recent interview).

Ah, but you're talking about corporate, Club 16 old man Linden.  I'm talking about Captain Canuck from before the Keenan trade.  He has broken up with the Canucks twice now.  Interestingly enough, one of the only interviews on YouTube from that time is during the Keenan feud in 97-98.  Check it out:

Notice how careful he was with his words.  Nothing he said was a revelation, and you could tell how diplomatic he was even in his 20s.  But even so, he felt the need to address the media, and that's something you need from a good leader.  Even when things are tough, a captain makes himself available for the media.  Every captain had to do that during tough times.  But again - the only player left who has always spoken with media has been J.T. Miller.  He is a bit abrasive with the media and dismissive of the fans, but oddly always willing to talk to the press.  I imagine fans would be pretty upset if he was given the 'C'.

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Exactly....

There's a reason why Turkeys don't vote for Christmas, just like you don't knowingly pull a pin out of a granade in your own home...

If JR though Miller would cause frictions with Tocchet, it would make zero sense in hiring both. 

9 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Well, there was this one time where he and Luke Schenn were jawing at each other heading into the intermission... with Garland (!?) being the in-between to keep 'em separated... :ph34r:

Cheers... 

Miller might not be Schenns best mate after this, but tbh this is small potato... 

My best mates and me argued like wild, when we were teenagers/ young men, and we are still friend to this day 40 years later. 
We always stood shoulder to shoulder though if anyone had a pop at any of us... :)

I would say, if he started to fight with a team mate, its a different scenario. 
It used to happen, but that rarely brings anything good with it...

17 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

This is what I've been saying for a while. Petey just isn't the type to stand in front of the microphone and give it his all after a loss. Quinn is that guy, he can be the face of the franchise. I could easily see a world where Hughes is the leader off the ice and Petey is the leader on the ice. 

I think Petey would make a a good captain, but I could see Hughes being the right choice.

Bo said he thinks EP should be for reasons.He must have taught him the ways he was taught knowing he was leaving.Vancouver has done thus over the years and me I think he is right.

17 hours ago, kloubek said:

He seemed slightly guarded in the questions about JT and thought heavily about the responses he gave. To me, that shows either he is being honest and wanted to be careful not to say anything that could cause a problem, OR that he isn't being honest, and actually has an issue with JT. My guess is that it's somewhere in between.

Miller has a large ego and thinks more of himself than the team and Petey is a one for all, all for one guy.

Definately a collission bewteen them especially since Miller can’t teach Petey squat and fans here seems to think Miller has taught Petey a lot.

The reason Petey took the next step and are one of the best in the league on even points is due to Millers selfishness.

He had to work around the obstacle called Miller.

• RoughGame 1

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Tough when you’re losing sure. The “fire” and yelling at other guys just becomes irritating when they’re not performing themselves.

When you’re winning though those guys drive the bus and get the team fired up.

Nope, they don’t… That is what Miller wants you to believe because he isn’t shy.

Don’t you remember when he talked about teaching Petey how to play?

I was just flabbergasted.

Petwy is a creative monster while Miller is a one trick pony in comparision.

It’s like Tom Jones trying to learn a modern progressive vocalist how to sing.