The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Weaponizing Cap Space at Deadline

We are suddenly in a position with a bunch of LTIR and should definitely use it to gain assets.

Some ideas for moves:

To Vancouver:
Puuljujarvi
Kesselring (RD prospect)
2nd round pick

To Edmonton:
Futures or low quality prospect.

To Tampa:
Schenn
To Vancouver: 
Cal Foote

To Vancouver:
Kapanen
Pickering or Hallander
2nd round pick
To Pitt:
Mcdonough
Whatever depth league min player that they can bury to move  a contract back

To Vancouver:
One of Duclair/Bennett
To Panthers:
Rathbone
(if Bennett then we add something else)

I definitely agree we should take a bad 1 year contract from a playoff team to add an asset. I'm not positive the Edmonton one for example would happen. That is a really bad deal for them. 

Maybe something like:

To Van

JP

2nd round pick

To Oil

Garland

They upgrade on their top 6 forward for a little under 2 million. Canucks take on another project player, but also get a 2nd. 

I think Puljujarvi and Kapanen are perfect cap dumps out there, we could get a fair bit for taking them on. Problem is we don't have any cap space with all the dead cap for this year, but we have plenty of players those teams would like...

1) Schenn to Tampa for Cal Foote

Easy one, makes sense for both teams, they'll struggle to extend Cal next year with so many big contracts kicking in whereas they can sign Schenn on the cheap for a year or two.

2) Miller to Pittsburgh (33% retained for this year only) for Kapanen + Pickering + 1st or 2nd

Pens want to stay competitive, they get a top-6 winger who can play with Crosby or Malkin and keep their window open. Kapanen is a 3M waste of space who has been scratched nightly so has negative value obviously. They have guys like Doumilin and Zucker's cap expiring next year to fit Miller in and can squeeze a UFA in there too if they want.

3) Puljujarvi + 2nd for future considerations

Seems to be the price to pay for 3M in cap space (see the Dickinson trade). They can do whatever they like with the cap space, probably go for a bigger trade at the TDL but that's not our problem. We eat Puljujarvi, if he does well we can re-sign him but most likely let him walk a RFA

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Puljujarvi and Kapanen are perfect cap dumps out there, we could get a fair bit for taking them on. Problem is we don't have any cap space with all the dead cap for this year, but we have plenty of players those teams would like...

1) Schenn to Tampa for Cal Foote

Easy one, makes sense for both teams, they'll struggle to extend Cal next year with so many big contracts kicking in whereas they can sign Schenn on the cheap for a year or two.

2) Miller to Pittsburgh (33% retained for this year only) for Kapanen + Pickering + 1st or 2nd

Pens want to stay competitive, they get a top-6 winger who can play with Crosby or Malkin and keep their window open. Kapanen is a 3M waste of space who has been scratched nightly so has negative value obviously. They have guys like Doumilin and Zucker's cap expiring next year to fit Miller in and can squeeze a UFA in there too if they want.

3) Puljujarvi + 2nd for future considerations

Seems to be the price to pay for 3M in cap space (see the Dickinson trade). They can do whatever they like with the cap space, probably go for a bigger trade at the TDL but that's not our problem. We eat Puljujarvi, if he does well we can re-sign him but most likely let him walk a RFA

We actually could likely have about $10 million in cap (LTIR) space this year once everyone is moved to LTIR. That is a lot of space to play with at the deadline.

I would do #2 in a heartbeat.  

• Cheers 1

Historically, 3rd party retention of $1M to $2M in cap for expiring UFA contracts yielded a 4th or a 5th round pick.  Free assets (other than the cost of cap space), but don't expect too much from this.  I think the cap space is better utilized retaining on our own players' contracts for the sake of moving them out to acquire higher quality returns.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Historically, 3rd party retention of $1M to $2M in cap for expiring UFA contracts yielded a 4th or a 5th round pick.  Free assets (other than the cost of cap space), but don't expect too much from this.  I think the cap space is better utilized retaining on our own players' contracts for the sake of moving them out to acquire higher quality returns.

This is exactly why in my opinion "weaponizing" cap space is a myth.

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The only way to really benefit from weaponizing cap space is to take full on cap dumps.  Having teams pay sweeteners to take on a bad contract.

• Cheers 2

According to CF we have 4.3M in cap space. Could easily fit a bad forward in there for a pick, but I'd rather we use it alongside some of our players we ship out.

For example, Schenn over to a contending team for a cap dump and then we can get a really decent prospect or 1st rounder.

Does Schenn for Puljujarvi/Kapanen + 1st work? I think Schenn alone is worth a 2nd-3rd, but with the cap dump do we boost it to a 1st? Granted that is a 15-20th overall pick in a deep draft so maybe we need to add a winger likeBoeser or Garland (but then obviously have to retain a bit?)

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

According to CF we have 4.3M in cap space. Could easily fit a bad forward in there for a pick, but I'd rather we use it alongside some of our players we ship out.

For example, Schenn over to a contending team for a cap dump and then we can get a really decent prospect or 1st rounder.

Does Schenn for Puljujarvi/Kapanen + 1st work? I think Schenn alone is worth a 2nd-3rd, but with the cap dump do we boost it to a 1st? Granted that is a 15-20th overall pick in a deep draft so maybe we need to add a winger likeBoeser or Garland (but then obviously have to retain a bit?)

That is by adding the guys they just called up to make a full 23 man roster, which we don't need to do and also not having Pearson or Demko on LTIR.  Demko will likely be back by the end of the season, but it is almost certain Pearson won't.  He apparently has at least one more surgery scheduled and is dealing with a persistent hand infection that requires IV antibiotics daily.  The last thing they do is have him put that thing in a sweaty dirty glove and use it a ton.

We can happily run with a 21 man roster the rest of the season (one of the benefits of having your farm team nearby and easy call ups) and with Pearson on LTIR, that is about $10 million in cap space.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

On 2/7/2023 at 12:30 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

We were on the other end of this and now have OEL and Garland - both for five years total at 12plus, and lost a second and a 9th overall.   Marleau one year cost a 15th overall pre-covid.   Sure would be great to be on the other side of this for once.  And to do that we'd need to get creative about next season as well.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1