The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's call a spade a spade. This d is and has been bad for a long time. It's time to address it.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Players want to win, management wants to win, owners want to win

What a bunch of dummies  :bigblush: jk

Hronek is 25, not like they traded the farm for a 30-year old veteran making too much. Hughes is happy, takes some of the load off him. This is about next season. My guess is Reinbacher or Simashev will not turn out better than Hronek. 

This is a young team, exciting times ahead

Everyone I guess just ignores that our farm system is not strong. I guess it doesn't matter. Ask Tampa when they lose players to injury or to others teams in free agency if it matters. Everyone acts like we are so close to being a contender. Ownership only cares about making the playoffs for money. Playoffs is such a low bar.

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Okay. You do realize what they gave up and what our farm system looks like? We basically have an empty system with no impact players coming up. The longevity of this franchise is never considered. So we have nothing to replace players with. It's a bad way to run a team. Notice how everyone who is happy are all the new people brought in. They haven't experienced the last 8 years. They have no idea.

We have a lot of 5/6 D players

Its insulting to think any owner would ever, EVER entertain losing 2.9 million dollars a year for 5+ years on a player.

That just isnt possible, it is not financially savvy or smart.

2.9 mill to buy out OEL will render Vancouver franchise revenue model inoperable, considering the net revenue is about $30 mill, to take a 10% company wide margin hit on a single player is never going to fly. 

Edited by CanuckRookieFan

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

So the op has a thread whining about management not addressing the D and now has one whining about them addressing the d?

Am I getting that right?

OMG. I think I explained my thinking but I guess you don't want to read the posts previous to this one. How is it smart to not build up our farm system? It's surprising that so many don't care.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

48 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

OMG. I think I explained my thinking but I guess you don't want to read the posts previous to this one. How is it smart to not build up our farm system? It's surprising that so many don't care.

So then how do you want to build up D? Through magic beans?

A player like Livingstone's likely to have other teams also going after him and he can only pick 1 team. When do you expect that drafted D to show up on the team? If we draft defense, realistically, we'd likely be waiting 3 or 4 years and that's provided he makes the NHL. Is Hughes and Pettersson going to wait around that long?

Edited by The Lock

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So then how do you want to build up D? Through magic beans?

A player like Livingstone's likely to have other teams also going after him and he can only pick 1 team. When do you expect that drafted D to show up on the team? Realistically, we'd likely be waiting 3 or 4 years and that's provided he makes the NHL. Is Hughes and Pettersson going to wait around that long?

That's because they never keep their picks and draft them. Lol. Am I missing something? It's been this way over and over and that's why they don't have d. Too impatient and greedy.

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

That's because they never keep their picks and draft them. Lol. Am I missing something? It's been this way over and over and that's why they don't have d. Too impatient and greedy.

Like I said, a player drafted is going to take 3 or 4 years to make the team unless if we're seriously talking about a stud draft pick which is rare, especially with defense. You talk like this is some easy feat. It's not.

They did exactly what you wanted them to do though. You wanted the team to improve their D. They did it.

If we get out of the season with Hronek and Livingston that is a great success for what management is trying to do. 
‘I don’t agree with what management is trying to do but can recognize them doing it more competently than the last guy. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

If we get out of the season with Hronek and Livingston that is a great success for what management is trying to do. 
‘I don’t agree with what management is trying to do but can recognize them doing it more competently than the last guy. 

That's kind of how I'm looking at it too. I have a feeling if it were Benning, we likely wouldn't have got the NYI pick back for Horvat and probably then would give up our OWN 1st rounder in getting Hronek. lol

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Like I said, a player drafted is going to take 3 or 4 years to make the team unless if we're seriously talking about a stud draft pick which is rare, especially with defense. You talk like this is some easy feat. It's not.

They did exactly what you wanted them to do though. You wanted the team to improve their D. They did it.

I want them to do it properly. This method doesn't work. How many more times do we have to try the same thing?

I want them to do it properly. This method doesn't work. How many more times do we have to try the same thing?

Well, if you want to lose Hughes and Pettersson I guess we can do it your way then? Hughes literally said today they wouldn't be staying for a rebuild... :unsure:

Also, I don't think there's such a thing as "properly" when dealing with such intangibles.

Edited by The Lock

Is Hronek the Hughes’ partner we need so much? Is he a guy who can carry our second pairing? If he can do either of those, then it’s okay. 

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, if you want to lose Hughes and Pettersson I guess we can do it your way then? Hughes literally said today they wouldn't be staying for a rebuild... :unsure:

This move does not make them a ton better. They have so many holes. Either way they are only marginally better and they still aren't improving their farm. Stuck in the middle. That's where we like it. What you think we are a contender now? Lol. When has fast tracking ever worked for this organization? Let's just ignore the last 8 years. They haven't gotten rid of any money. A continuation of the Benning era. 

13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

If we go into next season with 

Demko

Hughes Bear

Hronek OEL

Livingston Myers

Is that good enough to compete for a playoff spot? 

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

This move does not make them a ton better. They have so many holes. Either way they are only marginally better and they still aren't improving their farm. Stuck in the middle. That's where we like it. What you think we are a contender now? Lol. When has fast tracking ever worked for this organization? Let's just ignore the last 8 years.

Did I say we are a contender now? Do you need to put words in my mouth in order to come up with an argument against me?

I'm not even here to defend the trade. I just think it's pathetic when someone says "we need to improve our D" and then whine when they actually do so. It's pathetic.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Demko

Hughes Bear

Hronek OEL

Livingston Myers

The bar is so low. We just want playoffs. Wow. You do realize that they made this move just to make the playoffs and make money. All they care about.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Demko

Hughes Bear

Hronek OEL

Livingston Myers

First blush, no probably not. Not sure OEL has anything left other than a big contract, Myers is still there and Bear is still with Hughes. 
Depends what happens with the rest of the team but as it stands we can’t afford that D without moving money off the wing. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

The bar is so low. We just want playoffs. Wow. You do realize that they made this move just to make the playoffs and make money. All they care about.

Yup. Our owner pushes his management team build for the next season, and at the cost of the seasons that follow. But Hronek is only 25 and a #3 D. So we have a 23 year old #1 and a 25 year old #3. Man be we can fill the 2 and 4 spots with older UFA signings or via trade for older guys? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Our owner pushes his management team build for the next season, and at the cost of the seasons that follow. But Hronek is only 25 and a #3 D. So we have a 23 year old #1 and a 25 year old #3. Man be we can fill the 2 and 4 spots with older UFA signings or via trade for older guys? 

Ya and if they had done it properly 8 years ago we might have been competing for a cup by now. So many wasted years. Might be another next year.