The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's call a spade a spade. This d is and has been bad for a long time. It's time to address it.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

Anyway, I'm just frustrated with things at the moment. Seems like there are people out there who will never be satisfied and I get tired of the hypocrisy of some people. If you want D, why not at least be a little happy about having Hronek? You don't have to like the trade in order to have such a stance.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Okay. You do realize what they gave up and what our farm system looks like? We basically have an empty system with no impact players coming up. The longevity of this franchise is never considered. So we have nothing to replace players with. It's a bad way to run a team. Notice how everyone who is happy are all the new people brought in. They haven't experienced the last 8 years. They have no idea.

When a team isn't very good "imapct players" tend to go straight to the main team. We certainly have more "in the system" now than when Benning took over. Where those players cap out is still to be determined. But it's a hell of a lot better on the farm now than when all our hopes were on Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, and Corrado.

I think most would be absolutely thrilled with drafting a Hronek with that Islander 1st mid round. The 2nd eliminated the will he/won't he pan out and the waiting several years for him to get there through development. At 25 he's still a young player that could easily remain a core player for the next 8 years.

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Anyway, I'm just frustrated with things at the moment. Seems like there are people out there who will never be satisfied and I get tired of the hypocrisy of some people. If you want D, why not at least be a little happy about having Hronek? You don't have to like the trade in order to have such a stance.

I understand what you're saying but honestly before yesterday I had no idea who or how good this guy is. He's no profile player. Lets hope he can settle in here and  be a great addition. The point that worries me to a degree  like in the past we're adding best described as modest player who maybe prevents us to getting a high quality player. Packing teh Cap with modest players does not advance the teams future. I hope this kid truns up trumps but we'll be screwed if he doesnt with our Cap

Edited by Fred65

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya and if they had done it properly 8 years ago we might have been competing for a cup by now. So many wasted years. Might be another next year. 

Forget the cup, the Playoffs should be the banner we raise for this ownership group.

Edited by DSVII

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If we go into next season with 

Demko

Hughes Bear

Hronek OEL

Livingston Myers

Is that good enough to compete for a playoff spot? 

See this is my problem with the Hronek Deal and what leads me to believe were also trading our 2023 1st at the Draft unless its top 3. 

That D is a complete nightmare that isn't getting anywhere near the playoffs.  Here I brought stats : 

image.thumb.jpeg.2e8cabe934074b5448aea7d0673ff09c.jpeg

image.png.bc588309218757398a567fd93218981a.pngimage.jpeg.0b55a640f349c654b0cd5662185f7b15.jpeg

image.jpeg.9cf72f83d0072bba4e8f5d54711794da.jpeg

Sorry some don't have that latest data and for the ironically small size of the Myers shot and I couldn't find one for Hughes but I think we can all mostly agree he is a Franchise D man. 

For those not used to reading the data projected WAR is designed to get that kinda 'uber rating' of a players contribution to wins ( essentially ) this is what one should pay attention to and how its evolved over time ( and thus where it may go next ) 

So you can see this year Hronek is in the top 10 of players in the league for this stat - really good ! 

Both Myers and OEL rank in the bottom 20%  and Bear is trending down since leaving CAR but still not too bad for the role he plays. 

You will also notice only Hronek is above 60% in the defensive stats 

The bottom pair is up for debate as we really have no idea who that is going to be at this point. Likewise it doesn't massively help the team competitively either due to its contribution

So really what this tells us, is in comparison to the league we realistically need 2 MORE top 4 defencemen to be anywhere near competitive. 

Of course, the X Factor is Demko - could we sneak into the playoffs with Bear, Quinn, Hronek, OEL  top 4 with 'bubble' Demko absolutely standing on his head... Maybe. Is that something that is winning anything or we would really wanna watch, probably not. 

So if we really wanna be competitive we need 2 more Top 4 D, with a top 4 including QH and Hronek and a Bottom pair of Bear + Myers ( which is not ideal but will do for another year ). That Canucks fist is burning a hole in Aquamans pocket about nowwww. 

We also don't have a single D prospect anywhere near ready to step into the top 4. They are either too young still or just long shots for a bottom pair slot which we have plenty of 'serviceable' options for. 

I didn't hate the Hronek signing as he does make us better and the Organization has not proved to me it can do anything with draft pick in the past 10 years. But, It doesn't really bring us closer to winning tho, in isolation, it will only take us into 15th overall territory with the other pieces in play. 

A better strategy would have been to draft well this year, and see where are in another 2 before pulling the pin on big high-pick trades as we need so many other pieces to compete. In the hope by then maybe a PeteD + one of the high draft picks from this year would turn out to be a stud.

We also can't go the Vegas route of not bothering with the draft and just trading to resolve our problems as we have negative cap space and not much in FA will help move the needle for what we do have assuming best case LTIR ( unless OEL becomes allergic to his gear) 

This also doesn't factor in the fact we actually need to F's who can kill penalties - tho they maybe easier to find if we can trade one of the surplus, average, overpaid wingers we have collected. 

Well we are keeping with tradition by trading our picks, we might as well keep with tradition and go on our yearly winning streak at the end. Why this team tries so hard after they are out of it is beyond me. Then the fans who say this winning will do wonders come out and guess what, it don't mean crap. When has winning at the end of the year ever amounted to anything of significance?