The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Not Done With the Isles Yet

HKSR

February 22nd, 2023,  it appears there is not enough chemistry between Barzal and Horvat.  After several games, it appears Horvat is not finding the back of the net nearly as much as expected.  Why did Horvat score so many goals in Vancouver?  Who was his key linemate?

J.T. MILLER

Lou picks up the phone to acquire existing chemistry...

To NYI:

J.T. Miller

To VAN:

Calle Odelius

Josh Bailey

2nd Round Pick (2024)

Miller and Horvat reunite, and the goals start coming again for Horvat.

Canucks acquire a promising 18yo defenceman and add another pick.  Bailey is basically a dump for them to make this work cap wise.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

Not that I wouldn't want to get out from under this looming Miller deal but, BoHo gets a fresh start and gets stuck with Miller for 7 more years - I'm sure he'd appreciate that.  Miller's essentially the reason BoHo has to uproot his entire family and start over. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-culture-problem-drama-leaders

https://www.mapleleafsinsider.com/Canucks-forward-has-reportedly-created-a-rift-in-locker-room-labeled-as-a-bit-of-a-prck-194563

https://www.hockeypatrol.com/Insider-Reveals-JT-Miller-Reputation-in-the-Vancouver-Locker-Room-and-it-Not-Good-194569

• There it is 1

Don't think this move makes sense for the Islanders cap wise. It would be a +3M to the cap long term to take on Miller which leaves them with just under $4M in the offseason to sign a back up goalie and depth players. Even if they were willing to try that, they will need to prepare for Sorokin's raise in 2024 offseason. Conveniently, Josh Bailey's $5M contract comes off the books that offseason, paving the way for Sorokin. If they trade Bailey for the long term contract of Miller, they will then need to find a way to open up that space. Yes the cap may go up before then, but I would hesitate to rely on that.  

Dunno, that's a lot of cap to juggle going forward. Both Horvat's and Miller's raises kicking in at once. I agree that they could use an upgrade on Bailey but I don't think it'll be Miller.

A Miller move probably would have worked before the Horvat trade and signing, not so sure now. If anything Miller's probably a better fit in Carolina as a Pacioretty replacement. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno, that's a lot of cap to juggle going forward. Both Horvat's and Miller's raises kicking in at once. I agree that they could use an upgrade on Bailey but I don't think it'll be Miller.

A Miller move probably would have worked before the Horvat trade and signing, not so sure now. If anything Miller's probably a better fit in Carolina as a Pacioretty replacement. 

Honestly I think they would do really well. They got a few shots left with this team. Miller and Bo IMO puts them in cup conversation and they aren't even in a wc right now.  

Woooo, did you see that Trouba hit last night? The Rangers are gonna rock some teams in the playoffs, so maybe their division rivals need to add a cheap Dman?

(RD) John Carlson is/has been out for the Caps. 

(RD) Luke Schenn to WAS for (RD) Vincent Iorio

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Honestly I think they would do really well. They got a few shots left with this team. Miller and Bo IMO puts them in cup conversation and they aren't even in a wc right now.  

I've no doubt Miller could fit the Isles well, I just question the fit capwise. Barzal is jumping from 7M to 9.1, Horvat is jumping from 4.1 to 8.5, moving Bailey out helps the fit this season but Miller will also be jumping from 5.25 to 8 so that's still an additional 3M tacked on to their cap. 

Varlamov's 5M expiring and any cap increase would help but they've still got a roster to fill out. At the very least they'd need to replace Varlamov and probably Mayfield. It looks to me like it'd all be real tight. 

And that's with raises to Dobson, Sorokin, and Romanov on the horizon. 

It may not be impossible but I dunno, it seems like a lot of cap to try and fit in. 

Miller to the Canes would be a much more straightforward fit, Pacioretty's expiring 7M would largely pay for Miller on it's own. Sooner or later the Canes are going to have to actually get off the fence or risk being a team that's viewed as a contender who never goes for it. Canes don't like term attached to older players supposedly but who knows. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/7/2023 at 6:48 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Woooo, did you see that Trouba hit last night? The Rangers are gonna rock some teams in the playoffs, so maybe their division rivals need to add a cheap Dman?

(RD) John Carlson is/has been out for the Caps. 

(RD) Luke Schenn to WAS for (RD) Vincent Iorio

I really like Iorio. I've been contemplating something between VAN-WSH, surrounding him and probably Mantha (underperforming, I'd say) to help them clear space for Carlson to come back.