The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

Ugh... Eklund.

Seriously though, where is Hughes even playing in their top 4? They don't need him.

I mean if they want to backup the prospect Brinks truck...by all means. I just don't see it as remotely viable/realistic. Maybe Boeser to the Wild for Dumba will come up next? :rolleyes:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Because Hughes is just 23 years old, I'd be very hesitant to trade him, as I think he could fit a future competitive window for our team.

The trade you propose could end up being lopsided in our favour for sure though, so it is tempting, but of course it is also a risk.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Ugh... Eklund.

Seriously though, where is Hughes even playing in their top 4? They don't need him.

I mean if they want to backup the prospect Brinks truck...by all means. I just don't see it as remotely viable/realistic. Maybe Boeser to the Wild for Dumba will come up next? :rolleyes:

Well yea and Luke Hughes is a left side D too.

They really don’t have any need for him this season.

However Graves and Severson are both pending UFA’s and maybe they don’t want to pay them what they’re asking. I would imagine Severson would be coming back in a hypothetical trade for cap purposes.

For next season though:

Hughes Hamilton

Siegenthaler Marino

Hughes Smith

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Article lists the Jackets as one of the interested teams. Why on earth would they be interested in Bo? Do they have to get to the floor or something? :unsure:

Anyway, getting their first in a trade would be an absolute dream....

Columbus like acquiring guys with term, they’re not a FA hot spot which is a shame cause it actually is a nice city. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Well yea and Luke Hughes is a left side D too.

They really don’t have any need for him this season.

However Graves and Severson are both pending UFA’s and maybe they don’t want to pay them what they’re asking. I would imagine Severson would be coming back in a hypothetical trade for cap purposes.

For next season though:

Hughes Hamilton

Siegenthaler Marino

Hughes Smith

You still end up with a Hughes on the 3rd pair...it's just not a long term viable roster makeup. There's simply not enough puck/offensive minutes/PP time etc to go around to keep everyone happy.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You still end up with a Hughes on the 3rd pair...it's just not a long term viable roster makeup. There's simply not enough puck/offensive minutes/PP time etc to go around to keep everyone happy.

No probably not.

But if this move were to happen it would be more about the marketing opportunities than logic.

Siegenthaler could also be shipped out to make room for Luke in the top 4. 

Edited by DeNiro

Oddly enough, the most interesting bit from that article is the fact he claims Boeser trade is "coming in days." Which is vague, days could be anywhere from 2 to 300. But comes off as pretty immediate. I hope we see it done in the next few days though.

Hughes to New Jersey is kinda weird. Sieganthaler has proven to be a capable top 4 guy. Will be much cheaper than Hughes. And Luke will take that other top 4 spot, ideally. Are they gonna send us Sieganthaler, Nemec, two 1st rounders and a couple cap dumps to make the cap work? Cause the package starts there and only goes up. Throw in another prospect like Holtz or Mercer on top of that package.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I just don’t get your enthusiasm to dump Hughes it's mind boggling. 

I like Hughes and if he stays, I'm more than fine.  However, he's very undersized and outmuscled by even the smaller forwards and he's really turned into a bit of a perimeter dman, not the rover he used to be.

Mostly, I feel if they truly want to change course for this franchise, one of Petey or Hughes needs to be moved for a huge haul and I think NJ is a very unique situation.  

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 4
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

No probably not.

But if this move we’re to happen it would be more about the marketing opportunities than logic.

Siegenthaler could S.A. be shipped out to make room for Luke in the top 4z

Again, if they want to back up the prospect Brinks truck....

Nemec, Mukhamadullin, their 1st +...sure.

I just don't know why they would do that and basically throw a wrench in what is presently a solid roster build that doesn't need Hughes (beyond the marketing).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

I like Hughes and if he stays, I'm more than fine.  However, he's very undersized and outmuscled by even the smaller forwards and he's really turned into a bit of a perimeter dman, not the rover he used to be.

Mostly, I feel if they truly want to change course for this franchise, one of Petey or Hughes needs to be moved for a huge haul and I think NJ is a very unique situation.  

That issue can be solved easily with players brought in. Scott Mayfield for example

Ideally what should happen for our main d corps both out of necessity and realism is:

Hughes/OEL ________
OEL/Hughes ________

_______ Schenn

Bear Burroughs

Move Myers, see if Dermott is a longer term fit with someone 2 to 3 dmen replace with Mayfield being a heavy brought in to off set Hughes.  Current defence mixture is not it and needs retooling.