The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Devils are lining up prospects to pursue Quinn Hughes

Waited 50 years for Hughes to come along. Not up for trading him regardless of the return. What the hell is the point of drafting super-talented players only to turn them into trade fodder? Like it or not, Hughes is a big part of this team's emerging identity and will be a quiet leader going forward. We'll know more after July 15th or so, but let's hold off on trading him until we see how next year's team lines up. Even then, I'd give the idea of a trade an emphatic no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Curmudgeon said:

Waited 50 years for Hughes to come along. Not up for trading him regardless of the return. What the hell is the point of drafting super-talented players only to turn them into trade fodder? Like it or not, Hughes is a big part of this team's emerging identity and will be a quiet leader going forward. We'll know more after July 15th or so, but let's hold off on trading him until we see how next year's team lines up. Even then, I'd give the idea of a trade an emphatic no.

People becoming obsessed with the Canucks being an NHL feeder team. Bizarre af. 

• Like 1

We finally got ourselves a Hughes after 50 years and now they want to take him?

That said, I would listen.  The player I most liken Hughes to if he achieves his potential is Phil Housley...and even then without the goal scoring.  Phil Housley was a Hall of Famer, but largely offensively minded...and in a very long career he only played more than 7 playoff games in a single year twice.  Once in his rookie year and then when Washington went to the final and he was getting up there in age and was not effective at all in terms of scoring in those playoffs.

Housley's teams enjoyed very little playoff success.

And there's Paul Coffey, also largely offensively minded...who Scotty Bowman traded away as quickly as he could in both Pittsburgh and Detroit.

The point is, I guess, that Quinn Hughes is a very rare talent.  But I would listen to see if New Jersey actually offers a package that is more likely to lead to a Cup in five years or so.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Waited 50 years to get a guy like QH. Yeah lets trade him because he isn't perfect. Some of you guys are flat out ridiculous.

I doubt anyone wants to trade him because he’s not perfect…it’s always an option to explore when you are at the bottom.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Well yea and Luke Hughes is a left side D too.

They really don’t have any need for him this season.

However Graves and Severson are both pending UFA’s and maybe they don’t want to pay them what they’re asking. I would imagine Severson would be coming back in a hypothetical trade for cap purposes.

For next season though:

Hughes Hamilton

Siegenthaler Marino

Hughes Smith

Well within 2-3 years you hope that Luke is better than Siegenthaler who isn’t a high end top 4 guy.

Being set on the left side isn’t exactly a bad thing.

Quinn and Hamilton on a PP unit would be ridiculously good.  No way to plan for that as the opposition.  Quinn can be defended by backing off him as he doesn’t really have a big shot to worry about.  You just defend his passing lanes and don’t let him get behind you.

Hamilton has a big shot but isn’t as mobile like Quinn, so the opposition can defend by pressuring him.

Combine the two on the same unit and both get more looks and one of the best PPs in the league for years.

If you back off into a box, Hamilton can tee it up.  If you pressure, it gets passed off to the other guy who suddenly has passing lanes open and can get behind you.

Jersey doesn’t “need” Quinn to be a playoff team… they could sure benefit by having him to be a consistent contender.   They are a better team for the next 2-4 years by making a deal like this.

Having said that, I do see them trying their luck as is this season in the playoffs to se how they stack up before going to finding how to improve their lineup.

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Waited 50 years to get a guy like QH. Yeah lets trade him because he isn't perfect. Some of you guys are flat out ridiculous.

No… it is trade him if you can get a huge haul because we are terrible even with him in the lineup.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

No… it is trade him if you can get a huge haul because we are terrible even with him in the lineup.

We're terrible because we ice a team clueless guys who make way too much.

Hughes is +9 on a dreadful team. I really doubt he's the reason why we're terrible. Maybe move out some of the guys who are.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

100 percent agree. The right trade could turn this franchise around. Hughes is the real deal, but the right package could be huge.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

100 percent agree. The right trade could turn this franchise around. Hughes is the real deal, but the right package could be huge.

The “right package” could also entirely bust and set the franchise back 10 years too. Problem with magic beans. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Sedin Brothers said:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Boeser-Trade-coming-in-days-NJ-and-Q-Hughes-e3-Tues-Buzz/1/120545

This is more for the discussion than the source. As a big time Devils fan (who appreciates the Sedin), I'd be willing to give Nemec, Mercer and a first. I think that's fair for both sides.

thoughts?

Would have to be a 4 piece deal at minimum in my opinion.

1st isn’t of much reward from NJ at this point 

Mercer is a nice piece but it’s not clear if he can actually be a top 6 C or a Winger or a 3C.

Nemec is nice but he’s completely unproven and don’t know what level of dman he will be in the NHL. He looks like he’s having a good year in the AHL but he’s not anything like Hughes in breakout / offensive NHL impact.

Hughes is a complete proven superstar and at his age he holds immense value. 

I think I would need:

Mercer

Nemec

Mukhamadullin

1st

but even then I’m worried we could lose the deal and about the effect it would have on petey resigning.

Quinn Hughes isn’t just one of my favorite players we’ve ever had. But he was my most celebrated / ecstatic draft pick I’ve ever had the pleasure of following pre draft and watching and anticipating on draft day. I never thought he’d slide to us especially with Detroit picking before us and all the connections 

The only way we move him is if it’s a complete over payment. A premium 4 piece deal. 

And even with that deal I’m still very unsure.

But NJ has a lot of pieces they could part with to make a deal to overpay if they wanted. Whether it would be smart for either side would depend on so many variables. 

a massive Hughes trade to me would cement a demko trade and a full rebuild of us being a bottom feeder next season too. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, THERETOOL said:

amen partner   .. this kid is some kind of special .. when we are ready to contend , this is the kind of niedermayeresque player that brings it home for you ..   we have trash d to support him short of luke ...   who in their right mind would trade or think they might even trade for this budding superstar from us ???   we've never ever had a dman like this ..  what a joke .. im just dumbfounded this even has a thread .. its gross 

The more I log on here and see this crap the more I’m proven some people are content with the Canucks just being an NHL farm team. It’s crazy. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The triple Hughes bros show would be a huge attraction (and $ maker for the owner), but what they really need

is a RW like Timo Meier. The way he plays the game, along with his veteran leadership, Timo adds way more value

to the team than Quinn.  That is why Meier (26yrs) is likely the most sought after TDL addition this year.

Jersey is sitting in the perfect place to make this trade as they have the assets and the $.  They have 8 players

that are approaching UFA (+20m), who they can trade at TDL, re-sign, or simply let them walk.  The most

ridiculous part of it all, is that they still have a well-rounded group of players in their prospect pool.:shock: