The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Virtanen kicked off his Swiss league team for fighting a teammate on his own bench

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, jyu said:

Didn't she specifically mention McCann's name?

Well, I guess drafted two guys with attitude problems... hope we do a better job in the interviews to filter out the boys with attitude issues in the next draft.

eh? 

One guy grew up (has 35 points in 47 games so far this season).  The other is 26 and is still acting like he's 18 (age when he was drafted).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jyu said:

Didn't she specifically mention McCann's name?

Well, I guess drafted two guys with attitude problems... hope we do a better job in the interviews to filter out the boys with attitude issues in the next draft.

Unpopular opinion: people shit on McCann too much for what he said and how he acted when he was a teenager, as if most people aren't immature or prone to saying things that probably shouldn't be said as teenagers, lot of posters around here are probably fortunate social media wasn't around when they were young and that they didn't have a spotlight shining on them 

People put way too much stock in teenage hockey players not acting like mature adults, even if they've had media training or been coached in this or that they're still teenagers  

McCann moved on with his life and has proven himself to be worth having

Jake got every opportunity in the book, including the slack that came with being a highly picked local guy, but despite all his natural gifts couldn't pull it all together 

Seems like he bought his own hype, maybe if he'd gone to a different market he'd have grown up more and made better decisions 

It's sad really, I was rooting for him 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Unpopular opinion: people shit on McCann too much for what he said and how he acted when he was a teenager, as if most people aren't immature or prone to saying things that probably shouldn't be said as teenagers, lot of posters around here are probably fortunate social media wasn't around when they were young and that they didn't have a spotlight shining on them 

People put way too much stock in teenage hockey players not acting like mature adults, even if they've had media training or been coached in this or that they're still teenagers  

McCann moved on with his life and has proven himself to be worth having

Jake got every opportunity in the book, including the slack that came with being a highly picked local guy, but despite all his natural gifts couldn't pull it all together 

Seems like he bought his own hype, maybe if he'd gone to a different market he'd have grown up more and made better decisions 

It's sad really, I was rooting for him 

McCann went through two franchises to start to get it though. 

Edited by canuck73_3

22 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

McCann went through two franchises to start to get it though. 

Sure, but he stuck with it and did his time 

If you look at his numbers he actually showed progress, look at his ppg or point per 82 from his third season on, there are reasons he continued to get opportunities 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160292

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, but he stuck with it and did his time 

If you look at his numbers he actually showed progress, look at her ppg or point per 82 from his third season on, there are reasons he continued to get opportunities 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160292

I agree but he did have get moved around a bit to get it. Unfortunately Jake couldn’t and still doesn’t get it. 

• Cheers 2

You wonder how far this guy has to fall to finally get it? The Canucks pay him to go away, he faces rape charges, the Oilers tell him to get lost, his KHL team takes a pass on him, he winds up in the Swiss 2nd league and acts like he's Gretzky.

And I doubt this is anywhere near rock bottom for him.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I agree but he did have get moved around a bit to get it. Unfortunately Jake couldn’t and still doesn’t get it. 

Aye, and credit for him for building on his success, I just find it puzzling when folks hold on to how he acted as a teenager when he really didn't do anything bad, he was just young

We get carried away as fans sometimes and forget how stupid many of us were when we were young, being young men doesn't excuse everything but of course they're not going to act like grown and mature men 25+

Jake just wasn't able to figure it out out, or grow up enough, the consequences of his actions are his own

Being drafted by his hometown didn't seem to help

McCann gradually grew up like most teenagers do 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1