The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If CDC was GM

I think this is a great idea, thanks for taking it on!

I have often wondered what our team would look like if, we would have rolled back the clock and changed our minds on the following.............

#1.........Beagle, Rousell, Eriksson and our 9th OA       for      OEL and Garland

#2.........Traded Miller     for     Chytl, Lundqvist, and NY Rangers 1st

That is where I would have started................just because it would have influenced our cap and how we would have dealt with the Horvat contract.

It really goes back to Trading for Toffoli, and then letting Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli walk, but we have to start somewhere.

34 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Are you feeling ok?  Cheering for the Leafs?

I will be cheering for every single team the Islanders play (or whatever it takes for them to stay in

13th place).  It's all about the 1st round pick coming our way.  After that, I will always cheer for Bo.

Just now, higgyfan said:

I will be cheering for every single team the Islanders play (or whatever it takes for them to stay in

13th place).  It's all about the 1st round pick coming our way.  After that, I will always cheer for Bo.

Or for them to fail this year, keep their pick, and fail harder next year could be a good outcome too, but with Bo becoming a consistent 40+ goal scorer. Then they can go on to win a cup.

• Haha 1

If I was GM…

I would’ve procrastinated trading Horvat up until the last hour of the deadline, then frantically start calling a bunch of teams who haven’t blocked my number already and just sit there fiddling my thumbs waiting for teams to call me back after they leave me on voicemail (probably laughing at my offer).

It’s now 2:57pm and I now need to take a piss, so I leave for the washroom. Calgary calls (because they love our sloppy seconds) and offers a 1st, and 2 prospects for Horvat. I pick up the phone while I’m still flapping every last drop of piss, when suddenly, I drop my phone into the toilet. Disgusted with myself, I dip my hand into the toilet to retrieve my phone, call back Calgary with my piss greased hands, and ask them what the offer was. Unfortunately, it’s now 3:01pm and the deadline has passed. I chuck my phone across the washroom, scream demoralizingly, exit the washroom without washing my hands, and then think about what I’m going to say to my other 10 or so managers about why I wasn’t able to trade Horvat.

Later that day, I borrow Jim’s phone and ask Horvat if he wants to sign a max contract of 8 years at $10.5M. He says “f***k you” to me and he walks to free agency.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I think "pursue other trade" would be the only other competitive choice.

Yeah you just never know what offers would have been drawn up. Easy to say hold out for Schneider but you don't know if that would ever materialize.

35 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think this is a great idea, thanks for taking it on!

I have often wondered what our team would look like if, we would have rolled back the clock and changed our minds on the following.............

#1.........Beagle, Rousell, Eriksson and our 9th OA       for      OEL and Garland

#2.........Traded Miller     for     Chytl, Lundqvist, and NY Rangers 1st

That is where I would have started................just because it would have influenced our cap and how we would have dealt with the Horvat contract.

It really goes back to Trading for Toffoli, and then letting Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli walk, but we have to start somewhere.

These kinds of moves are the reason I made this thread. Easy for the regular riffraff to come here and say how awful our moves would be, but there's a bunch that didn't go over well with CDC and backfired in real life.

• Cheers 2

I think the Bo trade will work out well. I'd have been prepared to take less. Going back to last year, I was so tired of his mediocre effort. Sure, he scored lots of goals, but his effort level was soft and uninspiring, all while he's supposed to be the team leader. If it were not for the offensive power of the Canucks forwards, there is no way he'd have 30 goals this year, and yes, I will change my tune if he keeps up his point streak in New York. I'll be pleasantly surprised, because I still think he's a nice guy and I'd like to see him succeed. 

I will probably go along with most of the moves this management team makes because I'm all for tearing things down and starting fresh with the few indispensable players we have. I hope management is on the same page as am I, that it's absolutely necessary to build 'a team' because I don't think we've had that. We've had a lot of really good players with great potential, but I haven't thought they've acted like a team, but rather a lot of really good players playing to pad their stats and cash in. I put a lot of that on Bo, but also mediocre, soft coaches and management that failed to bring together the right personalities. 

I don't believe the talk that Rutherford wants out right now, although he might if he is unsuccessful putting together a team for the future. So far, if all the rumours are right, I think he and Allvin are moving in the right direction. Hiring Tocchet, a no nonsense coach, was a good start. Letting Bo go was the right move, but not sure about the Miller and Boeser signings. Mistakes that I hope they learn from. I'm so tired of what has been and am looking forward to a different version of my Canucks.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah you just never know what offers would have been drawn up. Easy to say hold out for Schneider but you don't know if that would ever materialize.

Right! Maybe "try to hold out for better/different deal" would have been better worded.

I know people were upset because there wasn't a d-man in the deal, so some people would have taken a different deal or waited until closer to the deadline to try to get that d-man.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What is factually wrong about what Alf said?  Up until this year, Horvat never got more than 61 points.  He doesn't drive play and he is average defensively (1 Selke vote in 8 years from Ben Kuzma)...

He is the best power play bumper in the league.  It's a specific role but one that Horvat does exceptionally well.  He earned his new contract through hard work and deserves credit for it.

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

He is the best power play bumper in the league.  It's a specific role but one that Horvat does exceptionally well.  He earned his new contract through hard work and deserves credit for it.

You didn't really answer the question though or refute anything of what Alf actually said.  Most teams don't pay guys $8.5 million to play the bumper role.  But good for Horvat to get that contract.  Doesn't mean he deserved it.  He's a 60 point guy who doesn't drive play and is an average defensive player.  Those are the facts that you haven't refuted...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You didn't really answer the question though or refute anything of what Alf actually said.  Most teams don't pay guys $8.5 million to play the bumper role.  But good for Horvat to get that contract.  Doesn't mean he deserved it.  He's a 60 point guy who doesn't drive play and is an average defensive player.  Those are the facts that you haven't refuted...

Come on.  Everyone here (including Alf) is just laying the hate on a player who indeed priced himself out of here, but that is primarily due to management.  Horvat was a loyal leader signed to one of the team's most cost-efficient contracts.   He has always been a top-six centre who has had a knack for finishing.  He has turned that finish up to 11 this season.

For me it's a matter of respect.  I'm sure when Linden was traded away in '98, fans were not jeering his decline and suggesting he wasn't a good player.  Bo played his heart out for Vancouver and it's irritating to see fans turn against him so quickly over something that clearly wasn't his fault.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Alf said he's a poor defensive player. Ill disagree with that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1