The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - NJD

Gonna join the proposal fun!

To NJD: Miller (50% retain on current contract), Schenn

To VAN: Nemec, Mercer or Sharangovich or Mcleod, Johnsson

This trade gives NJD a solid PPG player who can be physical and win draws for cheap (this year) and a solid, physical defenseman for their playoff run. NJD also has lots of players coming off the books after this season with some raises coming (Haula, Bratt, Tatar, Wood, Graves, Severson), so they could incorporate Miller's contract into that plan.

Van gets a solid defensive prospect plus another good prospect in the form of Mercer, Sharangovich, or Mcleod. I personally like the idea of Mcleod, could become a pretty unreal 3rd line centre. He's 25, 6'2, 190 lbs, has 80 hits on the season and career ~2 hits/game, would be 9th on our team in blocks, and a career FOW% of 55.7%. I think he is a good age now to grow with the team as more youth is injected. Could play 2nd line centre until Raty or another centre can take over then he transitions to third line. Johnsson is added for cap compliance, he's in the minors and contract ends this year.

Dropping Miller and Schenn this year almost certainly mean more losses, which also means a better pick for us. This opens the door for offseason signings, like Graves, as Miller's $8mil is gone. 

What do people think? Is this trade fair? Would either side take this?

I'm not an expert on the Devils, but watched them a few times. Obviously the main pieces in the deal are getting rid of Miller's contract and gaining Nemec. Maybe I'm overvaluing the potential gain of losing Miller. I know Mcleod hasn't had a ton of points, but he's not playing with superstars either. Could we also add a 2023 2nd as a sweetener (won't be much worse then their first)? Or am I already asking too much?

Edited by Lewlowned
  • Like 1

Well I think Miller is more offensively gifted than some of the guys coming off, and they won't resign all of them anyways.

And I wasn't really thinking of him as their third line centre, more a winger who can win some draws, and plays a heavier game. Thinking more like he takes Zetterlund's spot with Hughes and Sharangovich.

Yeah that is a good point, Miller does not add much to their defence, but I'd argue Hughes adds more of an offensive flair than defensive as well. Though obviously better defensively than Miller. Plus Schenn provides upside beyond just being big, he's reliable defensively.

And Jersey is tied for 3rd best in the league for Goals Against, while being a lowly 7th in Goals For.

So perhaps scoring is actually what they need more of...

Edited by Lewlowned

Lol if Jersey feels ready to be a contender, I'd trade Miller + Quinn to them for Nemec, (Siegenthaler OR Graves), Mercer ++ picks.  Get a lesser replacement for each (shutdown D that hopefully pairs well with Myers, Mercer as a young forward to hopefully grow to provide what Miller does now, obviously Nemec for future value, and picks).

Next year (before any further moves and if we don't get and plug in Fantilli/ Carlsson) we could do
96 - 40 - 65
8 - Mercer? - 6 (I hope 6 and 8 get dealt but plugging them in for now)

92 - Raty/ Dries - 21

RG/ JS - Myers (hopefully the LD of this pair can let Myers rove up ice, and cover for his defensive miscues)
OEL - Schenn/ Bear (can always trade Schenn if there's a 2nd on the market for him; Bear is solid enough to let OEL roam)
Dermott? - Nemec (have Nemec take most of the defensive responsibility and shelter him at the start so he can grow into the defensive responsibility)

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be surprised if Miller returned Nemec on his own tbh 

Plus they'd be better off going after Meier if they want a forward, Devils have been rumoured to be interested in him 

Yeah I'm definitely a homer and probably over valuing Schenn and Miller, so I could see this being a trade NJ doesn't even look at.

Meier is another good option for NJ. However, Meier's cap is significantly higher than Miller's (especially if we retain). So they'll have to work some cap magic to make it work. In my proposal, only $200k is added to NJs cap, so they still have $2m to potentially add a bottom 6 forward as well.

Meier's next contract is also potentially a problem for NJ. Rumoured to be $9m+. Given that NJ only has 9 players under contract for 23/24, even the difference of $1m could be important.

Lastly, NJ GM said they want a top six player for more than a season. They won't be able to guarantee that with Meier.

Ultimately, I think this trade is a bit of a pipe dream, I'm just trying to figure out how to get that Millsy contract off our books. Not because I think he's bad, he's just the wrong timeline.

13 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

They are reportedly interested in Boeser…let’s exhaust that option.

No idea why, they have 2M in cap space. We'd have to take someone like Graves back if they don't want to resign him but have to give them defensive support then.

Boeser (1-2M retained) + Schenn for Graves + 2nd

Bahl would be nice but cap doesn't work, Severson makes sense but he plays such big minutes for them I doubt they shift him. Tatar is the only one I could imagine them sending back cap-wise.

Maybe Boeser for Tatar and a 2nd? Seeing as they're doing so well, if we retain a mil or two we could convince them to make that a 1st as it's basically right next to our 2nd round pick?

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

No idea why, they have 2M in cap space. We'd have to take someone like Graves back if they don't want to resign him but have to give them defensive support then.

Boeser (1-2M retained) + Schenn for Graves + 2nd

Bahl would be nice but cap doesn't work, Severson makes sense but he plays such big minutes for them I doubt they shift him. Tatar is the only one I could imagine them sending back cap-wise.

Maybe Boeser for Tatar and a 2nd? Seeing as they're doing so well, if we retain a mil or two we could convince them to make that a 1st as it's basically right next to our 2nd round pick?

Me neither. Tatar makes sense, and if we can get a 1st for taking him plus retaining, I’d be thrilled. They know their 1st will be a late one…may he JRPA can pull it off. We may need to wait for Meier to be traded first before someone moves on Boeser…

Edited by Kenny Powers

19 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Me neither. Tatar makes sense, and if we can get a 1st for taking him plus retaining, I’d be thrilled. They know their 1st will be a late one…may he JRPA can pull it off. We may need to wait for Meier to be traded first before someone moves on Boeser…

We may well be looking at the 29-32nd overall pick there so really nothing compared to say the NYI's first rounder in terms of value, whereas their 2nd rounder will be a slap in the face (basically a 3rd) so I think we have some negotiating room there. We could easily snag a top center with our pick and two out of the top-5 defencemen with the NYI and NJD pick and suddenly we have a base to start rebuilding from.

I'd hope we get Reinbacher with the NYI pick and then one of Dragicevic or Caden Price with the NJD late pick.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We may well be looking at the 29-32nd overall pick there so really nothing compared to say the NYI's first rounder in terms of value, whereas their 2nd rounder will be a slap in the face (basically a 3rd) so I think we have some negotiating room there. We could easily snag a top center with our pick and two out of the top-5 defencemen with the NYI and NJD pick and suddenly we have a base to start rebuilding from.

I'd hope we get Reinbacher with the NYI pick and then one of Dragicevic or Caden Price with the NJD late pick.

Sounds good to me!